• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
+1 6x2 is my favourite DB configuration.
Also good:
g457461.jpg
dukedsskent.jpg

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I really like that first picture of the Duke.

EZ

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I really like that first picture of the Duke.

EZ

The Duke was short. IIRC, he preferred *x1 buttons stances, making him look taller.

Stuart

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
They should based on the military lineage. Other lapels are bastardizations. If you saw a notch lapel DB it would look silly. I recently saw that Twilight vampire kid in a shawl lapel DB and he looked silly.
A notch lapel DB is quite kosher for peacoats, and the double-breasted shawl collar has a rich history on tuxedos and smoking jackets. On a suit, however, peaks are the way to go.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
A notch lapel DB is quite kosher for peacoats, and the double-breasted shawl collar has a rich history on tuxedos and smoking jackets. On a suit, however, peaks are the way to go.

Naturally we have other examples of DB jackets with varying lapels, but it's simply wrong-looking on suits.

Dr.Teatime

Reaction score
Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders.
I've seen MaFoo rock one out, but then again, maybe he's broad in the shoulders...

Comments are appreciated.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime
Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders.

This is a good thing, especially if you are skinny. Go for it.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll need a time machine to accomplish this, then try going back a decade or two. You might also try ebay, they carry a lot of acient clothing styles like that.

jack12345

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime
Nice thread. Are DB's not recommended for short and skinny guys (like me)? It seems that the shoulder and button stances will tend to make men look broader in the shoulders. I've seen MaFoo rock one out, but then again, maybe he's broad in the shoulders... Comments are appreciated.
I'm short and thin and DB are by far my favorite suit. I find it perfectly offsets these characteristics with broader shoulders and the illusion of a little more mass/presence. After much searching, I finally found a couple of black DB suits (as mentioned in my original post). Any thoughts on this one? I've never bought a suit mail order before (seems like a potential waste of return shipping if doesn't fit well). Maybe I should just wait until there's more selection everywhere. http://www.ahfashion.com/index.php?productID=800

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Also good:
g457461.jpg

dukedsskent.jpg

Good show, Lufty...I like the 4x1 look. I used to own a nice solid navy gabardine and a light, mill-finished navy blazer with this configuraton, both of which are long gone.
frown.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
You'll need a time machine to accomplish this, then try going back a decade or two. You might also try ebay, they carry a lot of acient clothing styles like that.
facepalm.gif
Or even as far back as the Fall 2009 Shows...
trend_suit031.jpg
Places such as Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Bloomingdales (I saw a Canali on my last brief visit), and even the mall brand Banana Republic and Zara have, or very recently had, DB suits to offer. More evidence. They're even picking up in Canada! Or you can keep your head in the sand for as long as you would like. Even if you have a dislike for DB suits and jackets, they are a classic look which will ride the tide of popularity both in and out.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Duke's request to tour the Navy Yard was quite problematic as he was suspected of wanting to see it so he could pass some info on to his friends in Berlin. Great picture.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
facepalm.gif

Or even as far back as the Fall 2009 Shows...

trend_suit031.jpg

Places such as Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, Bloomingdales (I saw a Canali on my last brief visit), and even the mall brand Banana Republic and Zara have, or very recently had, DB suits to offer.

More evidence.

They're even picking up in Canada!

Or you can keep your head in the sand for as long as you would like. Even if you have a dislike for DB suits and jackets, they are a classic look which will ride the tide of popularity both in and out.

Perhaps, but once that trendy garments 15mins of fame is up then what do you do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads