• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ACL POP-Up Flea Market

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
I wasn't there, and I can see how this might be a take away, but I also think that the idea of fashionable expression is pretty broad. The flea was a microcosm, aimed a subset of already likeminded people, who are inclined to a certain aesthetic. As in a any group, there will be some whose takes, or "twists", on the central theme--in this case workwear and Americana--will set them apart, while others will end up more homogenized. This is true for just about any "look" or style, whether it's "trad" or "goth ninja" or surf/skate. The flea is just right on the curve right now, so it's getting lots of play. I'm not trying to argue your point, and I'm not sure I have an answer to your (hypothetical?) questions--just dropping my two cents.

Really? And you showed up in this thread just to let us know this? I'm sure you're not talking about me, so I don't take offense, but if you've already made up your mind, why are you checking in, anyway? You've done an awesome job w/ ACL and the flea, etc, etc. Why come in here and stir the pot w/ those who happen to not like your steez? You can't win, and you just end up looking like an ass to people like me, who happen to be inclined to like what you do.

It is fun to stir up this pot because I rarely visit SF (maybe 4 times a year), but you guys live here everyday. Even the haters couldn't stay away from the PUF "” and if you went and didn't expect to see all of the Americana then you clearly have issues.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
I wasn't there, and I can see how this might be a take away, but I also think that the idea of fashionable expression is pretty broad. The flea was a microcosm, aimed a subset of already likeminded people, who are inclined to a certain aesthetic.
This is a very good point and it makes me realize that my criticism was a little overzealous.
This was Kirk from Billykirk who was making wallets and other leather goods. Critiquing on a message board does not make you an expert in anything.
I spoke briefly with Kirk Bray and it wasn't him.
It is fun to stir up this pot because I rarely visit SF (maybe 4 times a year), but you guys live here everyday. Even the haters couldn't stay away from the PUF — and if you went and didn't expect to see all of the Americana then you clearly have issues.
The "haters?" Don't write like you're on MySpace. Nothing is more embarrassing than insulting people who endeavor to take an opposite view. You should be flattered that your flea market spurred such discussion. Honestly, that's a compliment. You have people talking. Don't be a sourpuss just because all the conversation isn't glowing.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lighten up, Francis. It was a fine and successful event. I walked away and called a friend at a guy friendly skin care company and told him he should have been there with his product. It was just that seeing so many guys in one place subscribing to the same aesthetic was at first kind of surprising and then simply funny. I thought I had walked into a casting call for the new Gap ads.

lefty

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
The "haters?" Don't write like you're on MySpace. Nothing is more embarrassing than insulting people who endeavor to take an opposite view. You should be flattered that your flea market spurred such discussion. Honestly, that's a compliment. You have people talking. Don't be a sourpuss just because all the conversation isn't glowing.

My point exactly.

For what it's worth, had I been able to be in NY, I would have gladly come and supported the event and those who were selling their wares, almost all of whom I happen to like and respect (in theory anyway, I only know a couple of the actual people behind the brands).

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mwilliamspr
It is fun to stir up this pot because I rarely visit SF (maybe 4 times a year), but you guys live here everyday. Even the haters couldn't stay away from the PUF — and if you went and didn't expect to see all of the Americana then you clearly have issues.
Look, congrats on the flea and your new online store. But...this quote is a perfect example of why I don't read your blog anymore. Just some feedback (since you seem so concerned about SF's opinion).

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
You should be flattered that your flea market spurred such discussion. Honestly, that's a compliment. You have people talking. Don't be a sourpuss just because all the conversation isn't glowing.

I should be flattered that this conversation is going on? I'm not really. And if people are being critical for legitimate reasons than I would take that, but some of the comments here are just so baseless and inane I can't not chime in.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should be flattered that this conversation is going on? I'm not really. And if people are being critical for legitimate reasons than I would take that, but some of the comments here are just so baseless and inane I can't not chime in.

I didn't realize it was your event. Congratulations on a successful weekend.

Here's a little business advice - you should just walk away from this thread.

lefty

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Outside of the stuff that wasn't wolf vs goat that I brought I could see things melting together but I think that was the point that was clearly stated.
I feel that wolf vs goat is different and we stand out now and the years to come as a brighter side to wearable fashion.

As far as Michael goes he is a class act and I don't think he ment any harm in what he is said.
He is a straight arrow and like him or not the guy does good work.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I wonder what will be after workwear next year?

Red wings in gq = gig is up

negusnegas

Reaction score
I think some criticism is for anything. I have always believed that self awareness is one of the most admirable qualities and oftentimes when you deal with things sf related there seems to be an utter lack of irony and self awareness. I love me some good Americana and am all for people being excited about the Made in USA trend and I am big on supporting artisans, but I just as head to toe Armani or head to toe D&G can seem douchey, I also think head to toe Americana can be too costumey. After all people are dressing in the style of the blue collar working man, who only wore these things often times, because they were a) comfortable and work appropriate and b) cheap. The stuff is still comfortable, but seeing as most people who buy the stuff probably work in offices and spend time on e-forums such as this its arguable whether it's work appropriate and it sure as heck ain't cheap. So why dress up like the average working man when you are in fact either a white collar man(i consider a lot of the creative white collar folk too, because they most often work in offices on computers)? Is this world so devoid of masculinity and authenticity that people will pay a premium to pay period dress up? I don't think it's a bad thing, but just something I couldn't help, but think about when I was there.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Can we go back to looking like extras from Control?

Originally Posted by negusnegas
I think some criticism is for anything. I have always believed that self awareness is one of the most admirable qualities and oftentimes when you deal with things sf related there seems to be an utter lack of irony and self awareness. I love me some good Americana and am all for people being excited about the Made in USA trend and I am big on supporting artisans, but I just as head to toe Armani or head to toe D&G can seem douchey, I also think head to toe Americana can be too costumey. After all people are dressing in the style of the blue collar working man, who only wore these things often times, because they were a) comfortable and work appropriate and b) cheap. The stuff is still comfortable, but seeing as most people who buy the stuff probably work in offices and spend time on e-forums such as this its arguable whether it's work appropriate and it sure as heck ain't cheap. So why dress up like the average working man when you are in fact either a white collar man(i consider a lot of the creative white collar folk too, because they most often work in offices on computers)? Is this world so devoid of masculinity and authenticity that people will pay a premium to pay period dress up? I don't think it's a bad thing, but just something I couldn't help, but think about when I was there.

Thread about to take off.

lefty

panamera

Reaction score

I can see why you give an air of arrogance on this thread, and this was after having met you at your booth yesterday! when someone gives you a compliment (as i did yesterday at your booth)...a simple thank you would suffice... commenting back that you have a several hundred thousand hits or whatever blah blah blah hits to your blog or how your blog is superior to others since you now will have a "store" is just not becoming. um, and no...i don't "live" on this message board.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Red wings in gq = gig is up

after workwear will be "prep"

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of the comments here are just so baseless and inane I can't not chime in.

Interesting. If I were coming off of what was likely such a fun, successful weekend among friends and colleagues (which mine actually was), I would not have cared a bit about what 'baseless and inane' comments came up on a web forum full of people I didn't know.

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by panamera
I can see why you give an air of arrogance on this thread, and this was after having met you at your booth yesterday! when someone gives you a compliment (as i did yesterday at your booth)...a simple thank you would suffice... commenting back that you have a several hundred thousand hits or whatever blah blah blah hits to your blog or how your blog is superior to others since you now will have a "store" is just not becoming. um, and no...i don't "live" on this message board.

Was I there for this conversation? So let me get this straight, you complimented me and then I passed you a print out of some google analytics? This sh*t is getting crazy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads