• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ACL POP-Up Flea Market

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, that can be arranged.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To ensure it arrives undamaged feel free to wrap a pair of the MWCxF jeans around it. Size 34 should do it.

lefty

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
now you are pushing it. I would rather fire Lloyd.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew?

I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase.

I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.

dougie

Reaction score
As do I. The whole thing made me feel really weird.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew? I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase. I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.
This is on point. CHCM had some knitwear which was good to look at, but the prices were ridiculous. There was definitely a lot of nice stuff, just a lot of it felt the same after a bit. Regardless, I picked up a tanner belt in the natural color. Was only able to go a couple of hours before it ended, but I am glad I didn't spend any more more. Living in NYC is f'in dangerous for the bank account.

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
Everyone was dressed the same. Everyone sold the same thing. Oxford and gingham shirts. Desert boots and wingtips. PBR and Yuengling. What distinguishes Gitman from McNairy from Wolf v. Goat from RRL from J. Crew?

I think the No Mas stuff is brilliantly done. Billykirk had the best presence, filling custom orders for bracelets and cardcases, doing something more than just giving out beer. "Get Handsome" was a terrible line to market the showcase.

I'm cynical, but the flea market vended a level of homogeny that is opposite to the goal of fashionable expresion.

This is how I feel about fora and the *most* of the people contained within.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At a certain point I just couldn't tell one retailer/manufacturer from another and I felt like I was in the finale of The Thomas Crown Affair but instead of bowler hats everyone was wearing flannel plaid.

lefty

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a certain point I just couldn't tell one retailer/manufacturer from another and I felt like I was in the finale of The Thomas Crown Affair but instead of bowler hats everyone was wearing flannel plaid.
Yes, I actually thought this comment you made:

Originally Posted by lefty
It was kind of funny with everyone looking as if they were on their lunch break from the mill.

Put it better than i did. One guy was walking around with something like a chambray apron and tools. Red Wings don't make you a blacksmith.

mwilliamspr

Reaction score
"One guy was walking around with something like a chambray apron and tools. Red Wings don't make you a blacksmith."

This was Kirk from Billykirk who was making wallets and other leather goods. Critiquing on a message board does not make you an expert in anything.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't there, and I can see how this might be a take away, but I also think that the idea of fashionable expression is pretty broad. The flea was a microcosm, aimed a subset of already likeminded people, who are inclined to a certain aesthetic. As in a any group, there will be some whose takes, or "twists", on the central theme--in this case workwear and Americana--will set them apart, while others will end up more homogenized. This is true for just about any "look" or style, whether it's "trad" or "goth ninja" or surf/skate. The flea is just right on the curve right now, so it's getting lots of play. I'm not trying to argue your point, and I'm not sure I have an answer to your (hypothetical?) questions--just dropping my two cents.

Originally Posted by mwilliamspr
This is how I feel about fora and the *most* of the people contained within.
Really? And you showed up in this thread just to let us know this? I'm sure you're not talking about me, so I don't take offense, but if you've already made up your mind, why are you checking in, anyway? You've done an awesome job w/ ACL and the flea, etc, etc. Why come in here and stir the pot w/ those who happen to not like your steez? You can't win, and you just end up looking like an ass to people like me, who happen to be inclined to like what you do.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Jimmyleaf
Very much agree with Blank 100%...

Originally Posted by dougie
As do I. The whole thing made me feel really weird.

Originally Posted by feynmix
This is on point. CHCM had some knitwear which was good to look at, but the prices were ridiculous. There was definitely a lot of nice stuff, just a lot of it felt the same after a bit.

Originally Posted by lefty

lefty

Come on girls give me a break, point made already. These were small companies (except maybe J Crew, who let them in?) trying to make a go of it with quality goods for a niche market in a tough economy. The event had a theme, so what, most events do. People were in a good mood and the stuff was definitely selling. The party at the Ace Hotel was fun too.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Come on girls give me a break, point made already. These were small companies (except maybe J Crew, who let them in?) trying to make a go of it with quality goods for a niche market in a tough economy. The event had a theme, so what, most events do. People were in a good mood and the stuff was definitely selling. The party at the Ace Hotel was fun too.

This. I wish I could have visited. I'll just have to go hang out in the workshop at Tanner when they get back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics