• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I tried this tonight and found it a competent alternative to the whiskey sour. I used Sazerac 6.
I've been enjoying it. I am also working on a Whiskey Daisy, which is fruitier. I emptied my Saz 6 on this the other night, and went to procure more -- apparently it is not available to me within 70mi at the moment. Got Russel 6 instead -- have you tried it and can you compare to the Sazerac?
Originally Posted by samus
I think you're quite right to question Imbibe for this one. The historical discussion notes the relation to voting, but doesn't account for November mint whatsoever. Wondrich does say "The Ward 8 was distinctly a warm weather drink, and should be so considered." Maybe Boston city elections were a summertime affair back then? Either way, some explanation is warranted.
Well there are May elections -- the midterms. But I have no idea which was which. So it was Wondrich's article? I was just guessing.

samus

Reaction score
I think you're quite right to question Imbibe for this one. The historical discussion notes the relation to voting, but doesn't account for November mint whatsoever. Wondrich does say "The Ward 8 was distinctly a warm weather drink, and should be so considered." Maybe Boston city elections were a summertime affair back then? Either way, some explanation is warranted.
Well, scratch that theory. This website helpfully has a polling report from Massachusetts in 1898. If you turn to page 168 of the linked PDF, the date of the state-wide election is given as Nov. 8, 1898, and the honoree of the drink, Martin Lomasney, was running for state office at the time (the Massachusetts General Court, which, despite the name, is the Legislature).

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Well there are May elections -- the midterms. But I have no idea which was which. So it was Wondrich's article? I was just guessing.

Well it's Wondrich's book. I'm not aware of any secondary authors, nor, I must confess, am I familiar with standalone articles by either Wondrich or Felton.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, scratch that theory. This website helpfully has a polling report from Massachusetts in 1898. If you turn to page 168 of the linked PDF, the date of the state-wide election is given as Nov. 8, 1898, and the honoree of the drink, Martin Lomasney, was running for state office at the time (the Massachusetts General Court, which, despite the name, is the Legislature).
Well it's Wondrich's book. I'm not aware of any secondary authors, nor, I must confess, am I familiar with standalone articles by either Wondrich or Felton.
facepalm.gif
Sorry. For whatever reason throughout this conversation I have been thinking of Imbibe, the magazine, not Imbibe!, the book. In fact I completely forgot just then that Wondrich's book had that title. Wondrich writes drinks articles for the magazine of the same name, and also for Esquire and a few others. Felton writes irregularly either for the NYT or the Washington Post (I think it's the Times). So I am perplexed by the mint, too. He's a pretty sharp guy. When I get home I will check Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, as well as Felton's book. You are either very familiar with politics or very dedicated to find that link. No go on the midterms, then. I don't know, were fresh herbs available then? May be. Mint is pretty hardy as far as herbs go. I still don't want it in my Ward Eight! ~ H

samus

Reaction score
facepalm.gif
Sorry. For whatever reason throughout this conversation I have been thinking of Imbibe, the magazine, not Imbibe!, the book. In fact I completely forgot just then that Wondrich's book had that title. Wondrich writes drinks articles for the magazine of the same name, and also for Esquire and a few others. Felton writes irregularly either for the NYT or the Washington Post (I think it's the Times).

So I am perplexed by the mint, too. He's a pretty sharp guy. When I get home I will check Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, as well as Felton's book.

You are either very familiar with politics or very dedicated to find that link. No go on the midterms, then. I don't know, were fresh herbs available then? May be. Mint is pretty hardy as far as herbs go. I still don't want it in my Ward Eight!

~ H

Hm, thanks - I'll keep an eye out for the articles. And researching obscure things is part of my job (something to look forward to if you join a law journal!) and something of a hobby of mine as well. I'm annoyed, though, that I can find out the number of registered voters in Ward 8 of Boston in 1898, but I can't find a definitive list of the candidates. The Boston Globe has an historical archive that goes back far enough, but I'm not ponying up for it - my historical interest is outweighed by my frugality in this instance.

samus

Reaction score
Hm, thanks - I'll keep an eye out for the articles. And researching obscure things is part of my job (something to look forward to if you join a law journal!) and something of a hobby of mine as well. I'm annoyed, though, that I can find out the number of registered voters in Ward 8 of Boston in 1898, but I can't find a definitive list of the candidates. The Boston Globe has an historical archive that goes back far enough, but I'm not ponying up for it - my historical interest is outweighed by my frugality in this instance.

And now I'm annoyed with myself. It's Wondrich's modern recasting that calls for fresh mint. The historical recipe calls for creme de menthe, substituting fresh mint springs when available. So that was all much ado about nothing, at least as far as the availability debate goes!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. Sometimes I have trouble keeping posters straight across subforums. Enviromental law specialty, right? I think I used 'dicta' a few pages back, so I suppose that was correctly understood by you! I am (ostensibly) writing a memo now, and the vernacular is leaking out into my everyday diction. As a part-time student I hope to write on for a journal in about a year from now....somehow. I have to because I want to teach some day and need to start on legal scholarship. I would also be frugal in this case and divert that expenditure, instead, to the bar fund. ~ H

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now I'm annoyed with myself. It's Wondrich's modern recasting that calls for fresh mint. The historical recipe calls for creme de menthe, substituting fresh mint springs when available. So that was all much ado about nothing, at least as far as the availability debate goes!
Well we tried. I have erred. Felten (not Felton, as I wrote), writes for the WSJ....and what's more he wrote an article on the Ward eight. http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...DUwODQ1Wj.html

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Pellegrino. I'm such a healthy guy now.

samus

Reaction score
Well we tried.

I have erred. Felten (not Felton, as I wrote), writes for the WSJ....and what's more he wrote an article on the Ward eight.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...DUwODQ1Wj.html

Interesting, but unfortunately incorrect on history. Lomasney had been a state senator previously, and a state representative, but he ran again for the house in 1898. I used my wiles to gain access to a free database of historical Boston Globe articles. On Oct. 25, 1898, it was reported that Francis J. Horgan withdrew from the Massachusetts house race from Ward 8, to be replaced by none other than Martin Lomasney. Page 4 of the Globe of Nov. 9, 1898 lists the election results - 1,598 votes to Representative-elect Lomasney in Ward 8.

Verifying this result are two other articles I found in the course of my searching - one from Jan. 5, 1899, noting the start of the legislative session. "Among the members who have served before this year, but were not in the house last year . . . . [was] Martin M. Lomasney of ward 8 . . . ." The other from Jan. 10, 1899 listing Lomasney's committee appointment.

Just goes to show - can't trust everything you read in the newspaper.
laugh.gif

(also, not to go too far afield (oops), I'm not the environmental law guy - I'm heading for a corporate law career once I'm released on good behavior in May. but no worries)

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emptied my Saz 6 on this the other night, and went to procure more -- apparently it is not available to me within 70mi at the moment. Got Russel 6 instead -- have you tried it and can you compare to the Sazerac?

Saz 6 is better for cocktails. The Russell's is sweeter and smoother, almost bourbonish, and that rounded quality is usually not what mixologists look for when featuring rye in a cocktail. I'd take the Russell's as a sipper over the Saz though.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude that stuff was---wow.
I remember my first reaction. "Holy ****, that's a stiff mojito" "Yeah that's the grappa"
lol8[1].gif

laugh.gif
That's why they called it an "Italian Mojito."

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poli is The Man when it comes to grappa in my world. Have favorites? Sarpa, Sarpa Reserve, Sassaicaia, and Po'Traminer are my current favorites. (May have messed up some spellings, Italian does not comport well with me, linguistically).

~ H

Yeah, he is the definitive guy when it comes to grappa. I'm not a huge grappa fan, as it's definitely an acquired taste, and so much of it can come off like paint thinner, but the Poli stuff is the best out there. The stuff we had is classified as Poli's wine brandy:

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now a glass of Guigal 2005 Cote du Rhone Rouge. Overall, I would consider it a nice weeknight drinker ($9.99) but I doubt I would go out of my way to find it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads