• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Tried a manhattan. Don't know why, but just didn't taste right. Only drank 1/3 of it. Doing Lime Diet Coke and CC Sherry cask aged now.

Have you tried any of the uber-premium Crown Royal at all? Curious.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
sipping the regular crown at the moment... Didn't know they had a premium bottle. BCLDB (government controlled liquor sales in the far left coast of canada) limits my palette, unfortunately. Or did you mean Crown Royal Special Reserve? Any product with the word "special" in it's name is almost always anything but! Not worth the extra $20, especially if you are mixing it with coca cola!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeffersonmc
sipping the regular crown at the moment... Didn't know they had a premium bottle. BCLDB (government controlled liquor sales in the far left coast of canada) limits my palette, unfortunately. Or did you mean Crown Royal Special Reserve? Any product with the word "special" in it's name is almost always anything but! Not worth the extra $20, especially if you are mixing it with coca cola!

These ones:

crown-royal-cask16.jpg

CrownRoyal-XR-lg.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
DSC01054.jpg

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
Aha! Indeed I have seen this just beyond that exclusive glass cabinet in the liquor store. I am sure that placement means it is upwards of CDN$60 a bottle (750ml). So I wonder too, if it is worth it? I am not a connoisseur of blended whiskeys, and I wouldn't drink it straight. Pretty much just with coke and ice.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
right. so what i said was i am not a connoisseur of whisky. So I WOULD drink it with coke. The taste is not for everyone, and I wonder if that makes it worth the extra mark up?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
right. so what i said was i am not a connoisseur of whisky. So I WOULD drink it with coke. The taste is not for everyone, and I wonder if that makes it worth the extra mark up?

No, it's not worth it. I bought it simply because I light my cigars with c-notes.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
you should switch from cigars to imported tobacco's and a bespoke whale ivory pipe. Liquor's purpose is to intoxicate, no matter how "exclusive" you want to make it. A difference in quality of taste is worth $40 MAXIMUM markup no matter if you are talking top shelf spirits or wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
you should switch from cigars to imported tobacco's and a bespoke whale ivory pipe. Liquor's purpose is to intoxicate, no matter how "exclusive" you want to make it. A difference in quality of taste is worth $40 MAXIMUM markup no matter if you are talking top shelf spirits or wine.

Thank you for letting me know I no longer need talk to you.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
...speechless. The key to my comment was the price range. And I would appreciate some supporting data on why deacoholozed spirits dont sell well. Unless you are 99% of their intended market?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
...speechless. The key to my comment was the price range. And I would appreciate some supporting data on why deacoholozed spirits dont sell well. Unless you are 99% of their intended market?

Go away, troll.

P.S. Find your own ******* supporting data.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm just going to be blunt here: WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Are you try to propose contrary to almost every other product in the world liquor does not increase in quality as the MSRP increases?? What is this mythical "$40 MAXIMUM markup?" Is $40 a magic number and above that everything tastes the same?

p.s. Drinking Casa Noble Extra Anejo, one of the best tequila's I've ever had. Buy it if you can find it (its the one the royal navy ceramic bottle with the gold accents), CN doesn't make the extra anejo anymore
frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, the reason why alcohol-removed wines, etc., do not sell is because they taste like hollow copies of the original product. This might be surprising to lay people -- if only the alcohol is removed, and alcohol has very little actual flavor, then why the difference? A chemist would explain that huge numbers of the flavor compounds so prized in wine and spirits are alcohol-soluble, and without the alcohol as a carrier, those compounds will not be able to be detected (or at least in not nearly the same intensity) by the tongue. I strongly disagree that liquor's purpose is to intoxicate. My bar has over 175 spirits and liqueurs at present (as well as 196 bottles of wine, and half a dozen varieties of beer), and I don't get drunk -- even what people call 'buzzed' is a rather rare occurrence for me. I drink for the pleasure derived from the taste, and the ability to tailor that pleasure to my mood and my company. ~ Huntsman

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So back to my original question, how is the premium CR? I don't drink Crown Royal or really any Canadian whiskey at all unless I am mixing it with coke or ginger ale, it is that bland. Was wondering if the Cask 16 or XR is worth trying (i.e. has flavor)..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads