• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wine Glasses

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interested in finding a set of nice wine glasses, not terribly concerned with pricing but I would like to keep it under $50/glass

Right now I'm looking at Spiegelau Authentis as an option, but I'm certainly open to other options.

The ravenscroft Burgundy has a nice shape to it, but getting up there as well.

I appreciate any advice.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
$50 a glass?? Get some Spiegelau off of Amazon, you'll pay about $10 a glass. Beautiful product.

In general, the more expensive the glass, the thinner the walls. Makes for some beautiful stemware, but very fragile. I had an unfortunate incident a few months ago where I squeezed a nice glass a little too hard while washing and it exploded in my hands. Left a nasty gash in my finger (I confirmed that my bones are indeed white in color and my poor GF had to "stuff" some flappy flesh back in, she has some medical certifications which came in handy). Best of luck with the search!!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"A nice set of wine glasses" is pretty ambiguous. At the very least you should have a white and a red. I suggest and use (at least for company) the Reidel series that you can buy at Target. But if you are willing to step it up to $20 a glass, you can easily buy Reidel Vinum or Vinum Extreme glasses which are beautiful and well balanced.

If you are squeezing it hard enough to shatter it, I have no idea what to say. I have Reidel from the '70s that makes today's product (even the Sommeliers series, of which I have several) look thick and cumbersome.

~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We have some Spiegelau and some Reidel Vinum. But you know what we mainly use? Stuff we buy at Cost Plus. Just as thin lipped and balanced as either of the other two, dishwasher safe, and $5.00 a glass.

We're small timers though. We don't have an "exclusive" glass.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
We have some Spiegelau and some Reidel Vinum. But you know what we mainly use? Stuff we buy at Cost Plus. Just as thin lipped and balanced as either of the other two, dishwasher safe, and $5.00 a glass. We're small timers though. We don't have an "exclusive" glass.
Cut glass rim?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Riedel Vitis. They have a beautiful shape, and holding the glass by such a fine stem is a pleasure indeed. You can tell they're fragile but i'm careful with mine and haven't broken a single one yet. I much prefer them to the vinum for their looks. I absolutely hate wine glasses with thick stems and rims.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate the insight, I'm somewhat of a lurker on the wine thread and I've been learning quite a bit.

Picked up a Bordeaux to start a collection yesterday, but I've been interested in wine for a while and just buying a glass or 3 when I go out.

Thanks again.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once we saw them on our winter holiday in switzerland, we only buy ritzenhoff ..

baseball_guy

Reaction score
If you are willing to spend a little more than $50 per glass, you might find baccarat.

jesask

Reaction score
I just got married and we received a number of the Reidel Vinum glasses...very nice. You can often find themon sale as well I believe.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
If you are squeezing it hard enough to shatter it, I have no idea what to say.

at 5'8" and 132 lbs, I am rather Hulk like with my sheer muscle force. In reality, a bad combination of slippery soap causing a harder grip, a bottle of wine affecting the brain, and the stark hot/cold contrast that I prefer when cleaning the regular dishes (my faucet can get to 190 degrees, I don't even need to heat up water for tea).

+1 to the Target glasses by Riedel. The basic 'red' and 'white' are quite nice. I have four types of wine glasses at home, Spiegelau burgundy and bordeaux Vino Grande, and then four each of 'white' and 'red' wine glasses from Pier 1 for everyday use. All are great for their respective uses.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
at 5'8" and 132 lbs, I am rather Hulk like with my sheer muscle force. In reality, a bad combination of slippery soap causing a harder grip, a bottle of wine affecting the brain, and the stark hot/cold contrast that I prefer when cleaning the regular dishes (my faucet can get to 190 degrees, I don't even need to heat up water for tea).

+1 to the Target glasses by Riedel. The basic 'red' and 'white' are quite nice. I have four types of wine glasses at home, Spiegelau burgundy and bordeaux Vino Grande, and then four each of 'white' and 'red' wine glasses from Pier 1 for everyday use. All are great for their respective uses.

This is rather my way of doing things. #1 rule of wine glasses is, they get broken. The more you use them, the more likely you are to break them. Taking them outside, the more likely they are to get broken. So you have different glasses for different occasions.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the ones from Pier 1 are $2.50 each. If I break one I'd be more pissed about losing or spilling wine than breaking the actual glass. I like them because they're very thick and I haven't chipped any in 18 months of use. At home, I need them to hold up well, not to impress anybody.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads