• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Torontonians: Where to live?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Toronto in July and am wondering if any of the city's current residents (I know there's more than a few of you here) can suggest some good areas (or buildings even, if you know) where I might want to live.

I'll be turning 23 and just out of college, so I don't want to live out in the 'burbs. I'll be working in the Financial District but I know that the area also has a lot of bars and clubs and don't want to be somewhere where there's a ton of street noise late on weeknights. Ideally, I'd like a 1-bedroom+den loft, or loft-style apartment -- big windows with lots of light. The only real musts for me are hardwood floors, washer/dryer in unit, and central A/C. I'm willing to spend up to 1800 a month before utilities.

Thanks!

Also, when should I start seriously looking? (i.e. when do you start seeing lots of July stuff popping up?)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I'm going to be moving to Toronto in July....

I'm sorry.

Albern

Reaction score
Great question and welcome.

I no longer live in Toronto but I work in the core so my advice might not be the best case scenario.

Are you coming here short term (hence the desire to rent) or is this more of a permanent move? Is buying an option at all at this time?

At $1,800 + utilities that could get you something decent just outside of the central business district but along a subway line. Utilities when managed by a good building company can range from $500 to $750 (condos not apartments so I'm not sure how much of variation there would be with the latter if there ever is one).

As for neighbourhoods, I'll let more knowledgeable members speak first.

Check out www.mls.ca to get some idea of what's out there.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Try looking for places around the Furniture District, in Old Town. That's St. Lawrence Market area and east to Parliament - but don't go north of King past Sherbourne.

It's perfect. It's right by downtown, but most of the buildings are older and smaller so it feels almost like a small town. It's a very nice area, safe, convenient. I used to live at King & Sherbourne; there are two condo buildings on the corner and I lived in both, Mozo and King's Court. They're both great, but I don't know if they have loft style apartments.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there's a thread on this btw, although I was asking for advice at a lower price point. July seems a much better time to look than now. I'm looking now and i'm not seeing a lot that I like.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
there's a thread on this btw, although I was asking for advice at a lower price point. July seems a much better time to look than now. I'm looking now and i'm not seeing a lot that I like.

Can you suck it up and pay a fee since you're not connected with the "Toronto" scene (I assume). Did you try craigslist?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Are you coming here short term (hence the desire to rent) or is this more of a permanent move? Is buying an option at all at this time?
I'll be in Toronto for at least a year, but it could end up being a permanent move, too, depending on how things go. Buying isn't an option given the above (that I'm not sure if I'll still be in Toronto 2-3 years from now) and the fact that I can't put a downpayment on anything. As an aside, I've spent time in Toronto so I'm relatively familiar with the downtown core (say, bordered by Bloor, Front, Spadina and Yonge). But that's not really where I'm looking to live, hence my question. I've tried Craigslist but a lot of the availabilities are in the Yonge/King area, where I don't want to be. A lot of the apartments on Craigslist also look like they were nice in 1975 and not so much now. Overall haven't been that impressed by what I've seen there, considering that $1800 seems like more than a good enough price point. (i.e. I know Toronto's not cheap, but in other places I've lived -- Montreal and Philly -- it can get a great place in a great area.)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be in Toronto for at least a year, but it could end up being a permanent move, too, depending on how things go. Buying isn't an option given the above (that I'm not sure if I'll still be in Toronto 2-3 years from now) and the fact that I can't put a downpayment on anything. As an aside, I've spent time in Toronto so I'm relatively familiar with the downtown core (say, bordered by Bloor, Front, Spadina and Yonge). But that's not really where I'm looking to live, hence my question. I've tried Craigslist but a lot of the availabilities are in the Yonge/King area, where I don't want to be. A lot of the apartments on Craigslist also look like they were nice in 1975 and not so much now. Overall haven't been that impressed by what I've seen there, considering that $1800 seems like more than a good enough price point. (i.e. I know Toronto's not cheap, but in other places I've lived -- Montreal and Philly -- it can get a great place in a great area.)
Looking at craigslist I'm beginning to question whether the toronto vs. montreal salaries is worth the cost of living increase and hassles of commuting. For an apartment similar to the one I had last year in Montreal for $900 bucks with high ceilings, hardwood floors, renovated bathroom and huge rooms (2br 950sq. ft.), you're basically talking $2k in toronto. I wanted to move to be close to my friends that all live in toronto now, but I'm starting to wonder that given the employment situation there maybe I should cast a wider net, both inside and outside the country, before going through the hassle/expense of a move. With oil going back up I might just try to go straight to the UAE or something, which was always my final intention regardless. I've got a fair amount of cash in the bank but I don't want to burn through it either. Ugh. Decisions.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The city is quite a nice place to live. Relatively safe, lots of small neighbourhoods with their own culture/vibe. Good restaurants, museums, pretty good orchestra, very good opera and a great ballet. Good theatre, too. You'll enjoy it here if the winters get back to what they used to be.

Whatever you do, live on the subway line. It'll help a lot. I like Bloor West Village. Quck ride to the FD and a cool, upcoming neighbourhood. Roncesvalles is coming up, too. Annex is very cool. Stay out of the Junction, though some of my friends love it.

And the burbs in the GTA? Well, they're like L.A. But without the sun, sand, surf, women, money and glamour.

Best of luck to you.

fkl118

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to Toronto in July and am wondering if any of the city's current residents (I know there's more than a few of you here) can suggest some good areas (or buildings even, if you know) where I might want to live.

If I were in your situation I'd want to live in the Distillery district (specifically the Pure Spirit building):

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/frameset.html
http://liveatthedistillery.com/

Also try looking at www.urbantoronto.ca

I'd start really looking around May. Craigslist.

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
do not consider anything east of yonge, for your own sake. annex or west queen to get your hipster on

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestions, Bloor West Village, Yonge and St. Clair, Riverdale and the Beaches (no subway but you get to ride a streetcar along Queen St.).

I am not so keen on the Annex anymore. If you can afford to rent a condo, there's Harbourfront but it can get bitter cold with the lake winds in the winter.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do not have to live in the city to work there -- that is why God invented the GO Train ...
teacha.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Ya but after living in a place like montreal, commuting just isn't an option. Plus, if all my friends are in the downtown area, it would suck to have to take the GO all the time to get down to see them. When you're downtown, having a social life is a lot easier. If you're married it's less of a problem I guess and you probably value the extra space you can get in the burbs. Even so, Mississauga rents aren't exactly cheap. In fact, i'm surprised how close they are to toronto rents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads