• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tommy Nutter Thread

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like to collect this sort of clothing for my personal consumption.

Divine of John Waters fame was buried in a Tommy Nutter suit. He was apparently a big spender on bespoke tailored menswear.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate what he was doing in terms of his time, and I love the pattens in the Ringo pic, but those lapels
uhoh.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Those roots are largely bereft of flowers right now. One of the things that I find interesting about the Reeves stuff is that I think that there is a bud of this in there somewhere. The whole question of how it is executed is a different matter, but I still like seeing evidence of it in things made today.
- B

I definitely saw the origins of the Reeves suit in some of these photos. Interesting to see how well that degree of exaggeration can turn out, when properly executed.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the David Reeves comparison very striking. Here are two Reeves suits I found through google image; although, I believe both were originally posted on AAAC.

16jg213.jpg
3879547298_db97930e0f.jpg
3513006585_c36c0ce6d4.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
I find the David Reeves comparison very striking. Here are two Reeves suits I found through google image; although, I believe both were originally posted on AAAC.

16jg213.jpg
3879547298_db97930e0f.jpg
3513006585_c36c0ce6d4.jpg

Those suits of Reeves you've posted have more of a Mod flavour to them than Nutter (nutty?) flavour. When I look at a some mod suits I sometimes see a an Italian or continental influence in there. With Nutter, the flavour is purely English.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Those suits of Reeves you've posted have more of a Mod flavour to them than Nutter (nutty?) flavour. When I look at a some mod suits I sometimes see a an Italian or continental influence in there. With Nutter, the flavour is purely English.

I'm curious to know the details of this statement--I have a lot to learn.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Funniest thing - I had more or less the same thoughts he did, yet I won't be able to explain it as succinctly. Suffice to say, the modism in the Reeves cut is due to sharper Continental-style structuring (?)

S. Able

Reaction score
I am a little surprised that we don't hear about or see more of the post-Nutter Sexton. These forums seem to have plenty of A&S, Huntsman/Anderson, Poole customers, but almost no Sexton clients. Do people even consider him anymore when selecting an English tailor? With regards to an earlier point, I think Edwin Deboise spent as much time with Sexton as he did at A&S. Edwin has described Sexton as nothing short of a first-rate cutter and a very fun guy.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3

While I see where you're coming from, I have to disagree. Whatever else you think of it, the Nutter suit is pure Savile Row. Look at those shoulders and chest. There is a sort of mod thing going on, but there are also distinct echos of the thirties and forties, even the Victorian era.

At least as far as the English tradition is concerned, this is where so many discussions of the rules simply founder. In may ways the backbone of the rules resides above all in technique. The DR suits are kind of fun, but you would never mistake them for SR. There are distinctly SR ways of doing things, everything from silhouette to button holes to color matching. As far as technique goes, the Nutter suit is squarely within the SR canon--even impeccably so. A db tweed jacket, say, could be executed in precisely the same way.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
While I see where you're coming from, I have to disagree. Whatever else you think of it, the Nutter suit is pure Savile Row. Look at those shoulders and chest. There is a sort of mod thing going on, but there are also distinct echos of the thirties and forties, even the Victorian era. At least as far as the English tradition is concerned, this is where so many discussions of the rules simply founder. In may ways the backbone of the rules resides above all in technique. The DR suits are kind of fun, but you would never mistake them for SR. There are distinctly SR ways of doing things, everything from silhouette to button holes to color matching. As far as technique goes, the Nutter suit is squarely within the SR canon--even impeccably so. A db tweed jacket, say, could be executed in precisely the same way.
I get this, and I was hoping to prompt some discussion on the topic--it appears to have been effective. In what ways (and in as much detail as you care to go into) does the Nutter suit "fit squarely within the SR cannon," you mention a few superficially. I hope others can chime in on this topic as well. Moreover, there was previous discussion of creating a thread with examples from the various tailors where one could visually compare the silhouettes and other details of the suits (pending clear photos). From this I hoped, for myself and others uneducated on the topic, to gain knowledge on what characterizes the different makers and to help differentiate, for example, an SR suit from one made in Milan. If possible, it would be great if we could discuss these same issues. Thanks in advance for posts on this topic, I know it can be very time consuming. I would love to learn more and I am sure others will appreciate the knowledge as well.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
No reason except my usual tangential motives, but as long as we are mentioning Jagger, here are some 1988 pics of Jagger-era Jerry Hall from LIFE that I like...this is a good a place as any to park them:

15fn0bq.jpg

167qwkm.jpg

5v3w43.jpg

2cr7uhi.jpg

eq9tw7.jpg

- B

Thanks for that. I will never forget her coming out dancing on that Bryan Ferry track and wondering who she was....the Yellow Rose of Texas....
Originally Posted by barims
I have a belted leather duster coat in butterscotch from Tommy Nutter (handed down from my father, as ever) that I'm very fond of. The leather is acquiring patinas and cracking a little here and there since it saw some uncomfortable storage during the 90s

Pecards is the answer or part way the answer.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
I get this, and I was hoping to prompt some discussion on the topic--it appears to have been effective. In what ways (and in as much detail as you care to go into) does the Nutter suit "fit squarely within the SR cannon," you mention a few superficially. I hope others can chime in on this topic as well.

Moreover, there was previous discussion of creating a thread with examples from the various tailors where one could visually compare the silhouettes and other details of the suits (pending clear photos). From this I hoped, for myself and others uneducated on the topic, to gain knowledge on what characterizes the different makers and to help differentiate, for example, an SR suit from one made in Milan.

If possible, it would be great if we could discuss these same issues.

Thanks in advance for posts on this topic, I know it can be very time consuming. I would love to learn more and I am sure others will appreciate the knowledge as well.

Sadly, superficiality is sort of my metier. Is it enough to say I know Savile Row when I see it? I do wish I had a better technical grasp of things so I could explain, for example, why the chest on that Nutter suit is the way it is and why it is all of a piece with standard Savile Row technique. There is a great old post by Manton somewhere around here going into some detail about various silhouettes. That would certainly be worth your time to seek out and read.

But why are we letting this thread drown in a sea of hopsack?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads