• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Hopsack Suit?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think? Possible? Too casual for a full suit? I think it may work well especially for spring. Fresco is a similar weave, maybe not as open, and that works for suiting....ideas?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Fresco is a similar weave, maybe not as open, and that works for suiting....ideas?

Don't go all
foo.gif
on us and confuse hopsack with a plain weave.

A hopsack is denser than a fresco. I think a good hopsack would make a great suit. If you make it a dark blue BlazerSuit, you could wear the jacket separately with little ill effect. See if Ercole has the 14oz Smiths Steadfast book.

- B

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB had one in their BF line last fall ('08). It was nice, and I came close to purchasing it but opted for a different one instead.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Don't go all
foo.gif
on us and confuse hopsack with a plain weave.

A hopsack is denser than a fresco. I think a good hopsack would make a great suit. If you make it a dark blue BlazerSuit, you could wear the jacket separately with little ill effect. See if Ercole has the 14oz Smiths Steadfast book.

- B

Hopsack, at least in an old blazer that I own is very sturdy.
It shows virtually no wear after 15+ years.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Hop sack would make for a rotten suit.
This is what I concluded so I decided against purchasing one.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hop sack would make for a rotten suit.

It depends.

If you are lean and fit, like NYR, it works out great.

Also: it works if your taste is subtle.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends. If you are lean and fit, like NYR, it works out great. Also: it works if your taste is subtle. - B
I don't know why you think the first element is a factor for cloth choice but if that gets you off, then awesome. And if the second point reads "stuble" then yeah, it's a good fabric choice. If you meant "subtle" then wearing hopsack for a suit is a good way to subtly place oneself as a sanitation worker wearing his Sunday best.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends.

If you are lean and fit, like NYR, it works out great.

Also: it works if your taste is subtle.

- B

I'm lean and fit but I kept thinking of it as a blazer suit, which wasn't appealing to me.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm lean and fit but I kept thinking of it as a blazer suit, which isn't appealing to me.
Well there's the tacky 1970s angle to consider. A hopsack suit wouldn't look good on anyone regardless of anthropomorphics. It would make an awful looking pair of pants and they would catch on things and pull too. It would be better to get a Fresco suit rather than a hopsack suit and I think Fresco also makes for a crappy looking suit. Too often the tastes of some on here are Brigadoon-like, they only work in their foggy little reality.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know why you think the first element is a factor for cloth choice but if that gets you off, then awesome.

And if the second point reads "stuble" then yeah, it's a good fabric choice. If you meant "subtle" then wearing hopsack for a suit is a good way to subtly place oneself as a sanitation worker wearing his Sunday best.

Someday, I hope that we will learn what accounts for your sense of comical class inferiority. It is hard for me to even think that you are an American...it is like one of those bad English comedies sometimes with you.

So, take a turn at being constructive: if you do not like a hopsack, what do you recommend for a man who does the noble work of the republic by teaching eighth graders in a public school? What blue fabric is right for the context of what he does?

Please do not say something striped. The guy has to handle chalk and pre-teen backtalk. Give him a recommendation. His tailor has recommended an English hopsack. If you can do better, do it.

You will have to decide what position you take tonight: do tailors know what they are doing or don't they?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm lean and fit but I kept thinking of it as a blazer suit, which isn't appealing to me.

In dark blue, it can be so.

But, in other colors, it can make for a great suit in its own right, one that you cannot wear as a separate...so, no need to BlazerSuit it up.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someday, I hope that we will learn what accounts for your sense of comical class inferiority. It is hard for me to even think that you are an American...it is like one of those bad English comedies sometimes with you.
I suppose considering your concerns on this thread and what sort of American you must be, I should be complimented that you dont consider me one. And, I am, sir.
So, take a turn at being constructive: if you do not like a hopsack, what do you recommend for a man who does the noble work of the republic by teaching eighth graders in a public school? What blue fabric is right for the context of what he does?
Does he want to dress like he teaches 8th grade? Hopsack wouldn't be right for that in any case; for example, the pants would unravel on a desk wood splinter or something.
Please do not say something striped. Give him a recommendation. His tailor has recommended an English hopsack. If you can do better, do it.
Unless I can do better, I have to let him flush his presumably hard earned money down the drain on the equivalent of a burlap suit? Like hell. Just because you believe misery loves company doesn't mean I have to let this person follow suit. (Haha)
You will have to decide what position you take tonight: do tailors know what they are doing or don't they?
I dont have all the facts about his conversation with this tailor but absent special circumstances, I still can't fathom a hopsack suit. Some tailors know what they're doing, looks like some don't. Again, some coterie of people here personalize everything and project the same onto others. I dont do this. I dont like some things but I would only tell someone to stay away from it if I felt it gave off a negative vibe or had quality issues. Having said that, it means little to me outside of conscience for a fellow creature and if he wants to get hopsack he is welcome to indulge himself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads