• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Life for a Suit [pictorial]

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
This thread makes me want to 1) Get a sewing machine, and 2) find someone who knows how to use it.

FTFY.

satorstyle

Reaction score
My mom sewed our clothes when we were younger. You don't realize how good you had till you get older and have to pay big money for similar results.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
My mom sewed our clothes when we were younger. You don't realize how good you had till you get older and have to pay big money for similar results.

+1

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
***** 5 stars for a fun and educational thread

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
curious how much time goes into one of these projects and also how long your gf has been at this or whether she has had any training (beyond what might have been passed down in her family)? in my family, my grandmother was a skilled sewer in a shoe factory and some of that knowledge (with respect to sewing generally, not sewing shoes in particular) got passed along to her daughters (my mother and aunts)--but i don't think i saw anything any of them accomplished that reflected this level of skill or (more importantly) good taste. congratulations on these projects and thank you for posting about them.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfnapolifan
curious how much time goes into one of these projects and also how long your gf has been at this or whether she has had any training (beyond what might have been passed down in her family)? in my family, my grandmother was a skilled sewer in a shoe factory and some of that knowledge (with respect to sewing generally, not sewing shoes in particular) got passed along to her daughters (my mother and aunts)--but i don't think i saw anything any of them accomplished that reflected this level of skill or (more importantly) good taste. congratulations on these projects and thank you for posting about them.

The coat from the Zegna suit took her about 10 hours. The spring/summer coats about 6. She hasn't had any training. She learnt some basics from her mother and sister, and from a friend in school who took sewing lessons, but that was about 25 years ago.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done.

59klaari.jpg

60klaarbinnenkant.jpg

61klaardichtgeknoopt.jpg

62klaarachterkant.jpg

64klaarbinnenstebuiten.jpg

65klaardetaili.jpg

66klaardetailii.jpg

67klaarcombi.jpg

68klaarcombiii.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
67klaarcombi.jpg

Superb. Simply superb. Easily my favourite thread on the board at the moment.

Makes me (almost) want to have children. Then common sense kicks in. But still, these pics make it more tempting than I would have thought possible!
wink.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it isn't exactly space technology, but that setting on the sewing machine is remarkable!

emptym

Reaction score
I love it. Thanks so much for posting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics