• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??

jack12345

Reaction score
I'm new here, but have enjoyed the helpful threads here for awhile.

I happen to be a big fan of double breasted suits (and they always seem to work for me).

The problem is they've gotten increasingly hard to find....to the point that they're absolutely nowhere anymore. I understand things going out of fashion -- but this is a complete extreme!

I realize one can find used suites (ebay, etc.), but I've had bad experiences with that and I'd really like a new one. (also, custom made isn't an option for me).

If anyone has any suggestions of stores, etc. that I might try looking for a solid black double breasted suit, it would be much appreciated. (of course, I realize it's a gamble whether it will even fit me well -- though it's worth the shot!)

Thanks!

My only requirement is solid black. (I found a current Armani DB, though it's pinstripe). Mine are starting to get shiny from too much drying cleaning over the years (before I knew better)

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
actually theyre making a comeback,i was in europe in june and they are everywhere and north america is usually a year behind,so just wait till spring.
ps did you see the Tito Ortiz at the weigh in today,guess what hes wearing,yup a double breasted

jack12345

Reaction score
ooh, that's really nice to hear!!! So, there's still hope.
smile.gif
It seems they keep saying the double breasted is due back, though it never quite happens--- maybe this time it will! True that north america is always behind, so that's great new if they're back in Europe. I may have to hold out until Spring... I didn't see Tito Ortiz's suit today. Thanks for the pic -- cool!

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jack12345
I realize one can find used suites (ebay, etc.), but I've had bad experiences with that and I'd really like a new one. (also, custom made isn't an option for me).

I have had the opposite experience. I don't think there's much difference between a used suit and a new one. Except the price difference, which is phenomenal.

I think new RTW suits are for suckers, unless bought at a deep DEEP discount.

Stuart

phunt

Reaction score
Don't know about solid black, but I just bought an Oxxford DB from lance @ virtualclotheshorse.com.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are DB suits all over ebay. Some pretty nice ones, actually.

jack12345

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phunt
Don't know about solid black, but I just bought an Oxxford DB from lance @ virtualclotheshorse.com.

Thanks for the store recommendation. I just took a look. It seems the only dark DB they have are with pin stripes,unfortunately.

jack12345

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
I have had the opposite experience. I don't think there's much difference between a used suit and a new one. Except the price difference, which is phenomenal.

I think new RTW suits are for suckers, unless bought at a deep DEEP discount.

Stuart

Yeah, I realize it's a pretty common thing to do, and most people are happy with it. The one I got was more worn than they claimed and never looked quite right. I suppose it might be worth looking again (maybe to tie me over until the inevitable DB return!)

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it

I wouldn't call it a "twist" exactly. A well-tailored double-breasted jacket is nothing new at all.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
actually theyre making a comeback,i was in europe in june and they are everywhere and north america is usually a year behind,so just wait till spring.
ps did you see the Tito Ortiz at the weigh in today,guess what hes wearing,yup a double breasted

Yeah and he looks GREAT. I can see why someone would want one of these. It's so slimming and timeless.
facepalm.gif

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In Europe, they never went out of style. Almost all the Italians I know wear DB suits more than SB and always have.

Canal Directo

Reaction score

Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I wouldn't call it a "twist" exactly. A well-tailored double-breasted jacket is nothing new at all.

This is NOT what I would call a well-tailored DB!
foo.gif
teacha.gif

jack12345

Reaction score
I kind of like that. It's less boxy but could be nice.
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
In Europe, they never went out of style. Almost all the Italians I know wear DB suits more than SB and always have.
Really, that's news to me. That's kind of discouraging actually, as it means it still may never come here. If they really are still popular there, then why is it almost impossible to find here, even from the major Italian designers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics