• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before SF where did you learn the "rules?"

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know about what people did in the past, but if I was new to tailored clothing today...or really, any subject...I would head over quick to the David Reeves thread and hang out there for a few weeks.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Alright, FNB, if you choose to be snarky, then where did people learn about clothes in general? About tailoring methods and cloth specifics and button types and goodyear welting and...
From what I've seen around here many never learn, they just make it up and figure when someone calls them on their bluff they can chalk it up to being personal.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Historically, men usually learned the rules from their fathers, uncles and older brothers.
Not so much if at all nowadays,

+1 Dad.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Mum used to work in the fashion industry as petite main , seamstress if you prefer, when she was younger.

She ran her own little atelier from her house.

I remember crawling on fabrics ,surrounded by ladies trying their garnments before being kicked out of the room when i was deemed to old to stay.

That was my first contact with fabrics and I caught the virus then.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
My Mum used to work in the fashion industry as petite main , seamstress if you prefer, when she was younger.

She ran her own little atelier from her house.

I remember crawling on fabrics ,surrounded by ladies trying their garnments before being kicked out of the room when i was deemed to old to stay.

That was my first contact with fabrics and I caught the virus then.

You were looking up skirts weren't you? Bad boy..

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
You were looking up skirts weren't you? Bad boy..

I was actually but to be fair the clientele was a bit mature.

I still remember the effluves from the perfumes and the bras.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
My father and grandfather taught me the basics (by example); however, the rules that I really actually follow are only the most elementary, such as no brown shoes with black belt, no buttoning of bottom coat button etc. For everything else, even if it breaks some "established" rule, I just go with my gut. If it feels right and I like it, I couldn't care less whether some i-gent is going to notice that I am wearing double monks with a suit, or cufflinks with a sportcoat.

+1 ... from pops and my older brother.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before SF, I made my own rules and broke them, routinely.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a guy in the town where I first worked who ran a true haberdashery with his wife. They were the first to teach me about mensware. Very trad, moderately priced - almost all the suits were three-button sacks with flat front trousers (Ortitsky, Corbin and Southwick, IIRC). Shirts were from Hathaway, Troy Shirt and Eagle, shoes from Alden and ties from Robert Talbott (they were among his early customers, and he used to come 'round personally on sales trips; they referred to him affectionately as "Bob").

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
So I ask: where did you learn the minutea of dressing before these boards existed? I have always read books about style and studied being properly dressed, but it numbs my mind to think of the "rules" that I didn't know until joining the online menswear community a few years ago. I think most posters are in a similar boat, but some of you obviously knew a great deal about all of this long ago. How did some of you guys get so knowledgeable in the first place?

this is the truth but i read the mens wearhouse website like 10 years ago had a whole section on sort of askandy related essays on what to wear and how to wear it and basics and such. was very informative. it actually never really plugged any of its products but was a very informative and generalized info links to anyone who wanted to get started on dressing right sartorially. i dont think they have those links anymore on their site.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
My father is a very sharp dresser, so I learned much from him.

EZ

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My grandfather was dapper as all get out, and he instilled a hatred of black suits and ventless coats in my mom, who now has passed it on to me.

I still wear some of his stuff, and hope one day to replicate his ability to dress with such casual ease.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads