• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best "working" American Filmmakers.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
That's because Woody Allen is crap. Although I do remember seeing a film of his as a kid and thinking it was funny. It was some sort of goofy sci-fi type send up, the production of which had to have included several pounds of good weed.

Not even The Purple Rose of Cairo?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Give some love to the Pixar team.

Is number seven on my list not enough love?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Please clarify.

Do you mean:

1) They have to be alive and have directed films recently
2) In addition to 1) their recent output must also be good.

For example I don't think Scorsese is any good anymore and wouldn't list him but he's still alive, working and his old stuff is gold.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Please clarify.

Do you mean:

1) They have to be alive and have directed films recently

Yes. Or are currently working on films. They also have to be American.

2) In addition to 1) their recent output must also be good.
I think this much should be obvious. Both Spielberg and Scorcese are hanging around my list because of their overall body of work, not because their last movies were awesome.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I assumed he meant that both had to be true.

That said, I want to mention Albert Maysles (and his late brother). I saw him speak last year at the Hammer Museum and he showed a bunch of footage he'd shot of Brando in the 60's. Love his work, though he's not exactly cranking out new stuff these days.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I assumed he meant that both had to be true.

That said, I want to mention Albert Maysles (and his late brother). I saw him speak last year at the Hammer Museum and he showed a bunch of footage he'd shot of Brando in the 60's. Love his work, though he's not exactly cranking out new stuff these days.

Just saw Muhammad and Larry the other night.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Inspired by the "Ten movies everyone should own" thread. I got to thinking about it, and there are a LOT of great modern American film directors. I'm going to have almost as hard a time with this as I did narrowing down the above mentioned "ten" movies.

1: Darren Aronofsky. Check this out. 1998-Now. Pi, Requiem For A Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler. I'm riding the hot hand until he falters.

2: Terrence Malick. I'd settle for lesser movies, if he made twice as many.
3: Steven Spielberg (Though I think he's past his prime)
4: David Fincher. Honestly, Alien3 wasn't his fault. After that, Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac, Benjamin Button. More than solid.
5: Quentin Tarantino. I know its a controversial choice, but despite all his flaws, of which there are admittedly many, I think he is brilliant.
6: Martin Scorcese. I don't think I have to explain this. His recent stuff has been pretty meh though. I think he's declining.
7: Brad Bird. I know, a curveball, right? Animated movies are still movies.
8: Clint Eastwood. About a quarter of the movies he's directed, I find unwatchable. Then again, he actually got a little bit of acting out of Kevin Costner. An impressive feat.
9: Steven Soderbergh: Hit and miss. When he does either, he does it to the extreme. Dude works constantly, always tries new things. Innovates. He will make movies that most people will never see, just to make them.
10: Spike Lee. Kind of the same story IMO as Soderbergh. I hate his "misses" but I love his "hits".

This seems reasonable at first glance, I would remove Aronofsky and add the Coen brothers in the list. I didnt know Mendes was a Brit.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Yes. Or are currently working on films. They also have to be American.

I think this much should be obvious. Both Spielberg and Scorcese are hanging around my list because of their overall body of work, not because their last movies were awesome.

Ok then, not feeling that inspired so I'm probably missing obvious choices

Brian De Palma
Richard Linklater
James Gray
Errol Morris
Gus Van Sant
David Mamet
Jim Jarmusch
Alan Rudolph
Spike Lee
Woody Allen

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
gus van sant? seriously?

also oliver stone. you could argue he's produced a lot of crap, but spike lee hasn't made a good movie since the 80s, so...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
spike lee hasn't made a good movie since the 80s, so...

I happened to like Inside Man.

Also, When the Levees Broke, and the 25th hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads