• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuff Links Basics

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, I have invested in 3 french cuff shirts. One shirt is white, the other french blue and the other is green(almost the same color as an apple. I was jsut wondering what the rules are for cuff links. When is it ok to wear them? How do I go about matching them? Does it go by shirt and tie color or the color of my suit? Are some style better than others? What are some good online sources for the? Thanks for all the help!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To start, I would recommend one pair in sterling silver (or lookalike) and a couple pairs of silk knots. As far as sources, you can get good vintage pairs on ebay. My first pair came from Filene's or something like that - a silver knot (well, not actually silver) with the dreaded toggle back. They've served me well. Vintage Gent has bought from Eve's Addiction, which knocks off Tiffany's designs. I like these: http://www.evesaddiction.com/cuf10004.html

And they are much less expensive than at Tiffany.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
What are the toggle back kind? Are there othe ways to fastem them besides toggle back?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
To start, I would recommend one pair in sterling silver (or lookalike) and a couple pairs of silk knots.

That's a solid recommendation. I'd recommend that your first sterling pair be a set of silver knots like these from Brooks Brothers:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=228

Originally Posted by chorse123
Vintage Gent has bought from Eve's Addiction

To be fair, it was Mrs. Vintage Gent, being kind to her hubby on our anniversary.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
What are the toggle back kind?

These are the toggle back. The problem with them is that they are not double sided -- the business end shows, which is not very elegant.

975C_th.jpg

These are double sided. Much preffered. I'm not a huge fan of either these styles - they are for illustration purposes only.
smile.gif

029F.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
That's a solid recommendation. I'd recommend that your first sterling pair be a set of silver knots like these from Brooks Brothers:

I agree with VG's suggestion. I think sterling knots are the most versatile cufflinks.

For designer 'inspired' cufflinks, you might also look at Overstock, which seems to be similar to Eve's Addiction. The EA prices seem to be a bit better, but Overstock has a wider selection. (Man, those EA sterling eternal circle cufflinks at $36 sure are tempting!)

These sterling knots from Overstock are quite handsome.

As chorse says, whatever you do, buy double-sided links (I like the argyle links, but probably not a good first choice.)

Of course, ebay is the source of great vintage finds, but buying new sterling knots will put you on firmer footing at this point.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is ok to wear cufflinks when you're wearing a suit and tie, imo.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
The only rule I follow with cufflinks is to match the metal to my belt buckle, i.e. silver belt buckle = silver cufflinks, gold = gold.

You also may want to keep this in mind if you are wearing a pair of monkstrap shoes.

Other than that - have fun and express your individuality.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent

To be fair, it was Mrs. Vintage Gent, being kind to her hubby on our anniversary.

I bought these as my first pair of cuff links and they're still my default cufflinks whenever I don't have a color match between cufflinks and something else I'm wearing. I follow Bradford's "golden rule" (or silver rule in my case) and match the metal in my cufflinks to the metal in my belt buckle (and watch), though I don't care to try and match the buckle on my monkstraps.

gmac

Reaction score
You'll find that thrift and consignment stores are excellent places to pick up cheap and fun cufflinks. I've found some beauties in this kind of store, often for <$10.

Not to diss anybody else's advice but I personally am not a fan of silver cufflinks other than for formal/semi-formal occasions. I tend to go for something a little more colourful. Simply by wearing cufflinks you will be out of the ordinary and attract attention - might as well give the people a show!

And I have no problem with toggle backs, particularly because I don't have to get my wife to help me put them on like I often do with double sided.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Correction: It is okay to wear cufflinks whenever the **** you want to.

gmac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Correction: It is okay to wear cufflinks whenever the **** you want to.

Amen!!!

Where is that picture of Ewan McGregor from?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd search ebay for vintage ones that's what I do the most I've payed is $20 and that was because I really liked this pair. I like snap cufflinks myself

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads