• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EDWARD GREEN? (Peal and Co for Brooks Brothers)

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am trying to identify if my Vintage Brooks Brother Shoes are Edward Green.

Inside the numbers 171 and 854 appear on the inside of each side of the shoe and on the other side is the number 6521.

If anymore info is needed I can provide and hopefully I will post some pics once I get them cleaned a bit.

Reaction score
Sorry about the initial post not going through....
eh.gif

Reaction score
I will get right on them as soon as I clean these wonderful things up. These things do seem to be rather well made as they also feature the cotton duck lining inside.

Is there any place I can read about the lasts if indeed it is an 854?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Should be. Pics needed, but the sizing info (854) is unique to vintage EG.
Yah these things have to be at the very least 30 years old if not much much older. Any other EG hints I should look for?

Reaction score
These measure perfectly to be an 8.5 as there is no size other than the "854" and the other numbers.

pejsek

Reaction score
Hate to break into your conversation here, guys, but these shoes sound unlikely to be EG. EG has, of course, made shoes for BB (both Peal and English lines). However, I've never seen EG use anything other than a full leather lining and none of the numbers you give seem anything like EG last numbers. The EG shoes would also have all info written by hand rather than stamped. If the soles are original they would be channeled. Pics would answer all questions.

...the sizing info (854) is unique to vintage EG.

I don't think this is true.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Hate to break into your conversation here, guys, but these shoes sound unlikely to be EG. EG has, of course, made shoes for BB (both Peal and English lines). However, I've never seen EG use anything other than a full leather lining and none of the numbers you give seem anything like EG last numbers. The EG shoes would also have all info written by hand rather than stamped. If the soles are original they would be channeled. Pics would answer all questions. I don't think this is true.
I know for a fact that this is true... Confirmed w/ EG. Also, these are likely to be dated before EG used the current lasting numbers.

pejsek

Reaction score
I know for a fact that this is true... Confirmed w/ EG.

Also, these are likely to be dated before EG used the current lasting numbers.

If pics bear you out I will cheerfully admit I'm wrong. But how do you feel so secure vouching for shoes you've only read about?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If pics bear you out I will cheerfully admit I'm wrong. But how do you feel so secure vouching for shoes you've only read about?
B/C I have sold at least 10 pair of these shoes on eBay. I can probably dig up a picture of pair w/ this method and sizing the the obvious EG nail pattern.

Reaction score
B/C I have sold at least 10 pair of these shoes on eBay. I can probably dig up a picture of pair w/ this method and sizing the the obvious EG nail pattern.

I would greatly appreciate this at your convenience. Pictures coming soon, Meltonian is drying as we speak.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I recently purged my photobucket account, so I don't have any w/ the traditional EG nail pattern. I do have this other pair, with a vintage EG nail pattern... It's not a noticeable as the grouping of three nails that is currently used. Also, I don't have a picture of the sizing after the purge, but I can promise that these had the block printing 754, being a 7.5D.... Notice how the sole has Peal stamped in it and the channeled soles. I can guarantee that I have sold the exact same pair of shoes but with the traditional EG 3 nail pattern on the sole.
IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Nice shoes. Could very well be EG and if you say EG has confirmed this I will believe you. I had no idea we were talking about shoes of such vintage--the all-leather heels with double nails on the outside rear and Peal stamped into the sole make me think these must be at least forty years old.

There have been many posts about Peal over the years, but I can't recall any mention of this numbering. The early Peal shoes are shrouded in mystery; there's even been suggestion that BB once ran a Peal bespoke program.

Reaction score
Nice shoes. Could very well be EG and if you say EG has confirmed this I will believe you. I had no idea we were talking about shoes of such vintage--the all-leather heels with double nails on the outside rear and Peal stamped into the sole make me think these must be at least forty years old.

There have been many posts about Peal over the years, but I can't recall any mention of this numbering. The early Peal shoes are shrouded in mystery; there's even been suggestion that BB once ran a Peal bespoke program.

I will post my pics soon. Mine also has the Peal Stamp on the sole in the same exact manner.

I am hoping some will be familiar with my shoe. Also, I think mine have to be at least 40 years old minimum based on feel and smell. Super old Vintage shoes just have that certain smell to them if you know what I mean.

I will post pics pretty soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics