• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I would never wear.....

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Sandals with socks?

ffffuuuu.gif

img55740304.jpg

and, tada!
9-28_man.jpg

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I'll try:
-Good with shorts, good with pants (with or without socks.)

While I personally love boat shoes and wear them all the time during the summer, I can't get with those who wear them with socks, if the weather is cold enough that you need socks, then its time to put away the topsiders for the year.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont see why people hate on boat shoes and have nothing to say for bluchers. similar aesthetic and the only thiing different is a piece of ******* white string.

and we've already been over the "wear lumberjack only if you're a lumberjack". who honestly gives a ****. who says you can only wear lumberjack if you're a lumberjack. some people who have actually given thought to their clothes still like that rugged classic american look.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
While I personally love boat shoes and wear them all the time during the summer, I can't get with those who wear them with socks, if the weather is cold enough that you need socks, then its time to put away the topsiders for the year.

Thank you for that.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are a bunch of wieners. If I went with some of your lists I would end up naked 95% of the time. I mean No jewelery or ascots? WTF?

word

Reaction score
Boat shoes generally bug me when they are worn with jeans or anything semi-formal. Suit and boat shoes I have seen before, ew indeed. Other then that, whatever. They are good summer vacation shoes though, especially if you own a lake or beach house or visit one frequently.

some people who have actually given thought to their clothes still like that rugged classic american look.
It isn't rugged when all the clothes look brand new out of the box and the guy is clean shaven with perfectly manicured nails.

The guys often look like a fish out of the water. That's what makes me cringe on the inside. If a dude can pull it off well I don't care what his profession is, props for that. That can go for any kind of clothing aesthetic, not just work wear.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I like boat shoes because they aren't sandals. And summer is too hot to wear socks.

I still don't understand how one can wear shoes without socks. I shudder thinking about it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's amazing what japanese marketing can sell to scandinavians
lol8[1].gif

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
I still don't understand how one can wear shoes without socks. I shudder thinking about it.

Well to be fair I don't count boat shoes as actual shoes. If that makes sense.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Loafers and boat shoes
Polos
Norwegian stitched shoes
Cucinelli and that whole Italian gentleman of leisure on the weekend crap

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
I kinda understand the flare pants showing up a lot here - they're hard to pull off. But that late 60s early 70s Detroit look, like MC5 and Stooges, had some flares going on and they looked pretty bad ass. I think the dislike stems from hatred of hippies? I know the early Brit punks were distinctly anti-flare and all about sleekness but the American spirit of rock involves some long hair and even sneakers and the occasional flare pant, but not post 1976.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
If I went with some of your lists I would end up naked 95% of the time.

This is an interesting thread because it's far more personal than the usual "I hate _____" threads. People are voicing their individual style preferences with every list. It's crazy when I see someone saying they'll never wear anything with a hood in their lifetime. But maybe that person lives in Arizona where it never rains, or is never cold, and so wearing a hoodie makes you a poser. Anyway, just wanted to distinguish the intent of this thread vs. hating threads.

Carry on crapping on boat shoes ...

a-rock

Reaction score
Just because 90% of people mentioned dropped crotch pants, we've just encouraged the inevitable "Drop Crotch: Not That Bad" and "Drop Crotch: Why the Hate?" threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads