• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I would never wear.....

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I've been on a Diet Lipton Green Tea (with Citrus) kick for the last ~5 or so months.
And you expect me to put your name on a list when you type **** like this?
Originally Posted by pronxs
can anyone explains the hate for boat shoes?
Conversely, can anyone explain the love for boat shoes? I'd never wear them but simply do not understand why they get so much love in certain circles.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you expect me to put your name on a list when you type **** like this?

Conversely, can anyone explain the love for boat shoes? I'd never wear them but simply do not understand why they get so much love in certain circles.

well it looks nice (at least for me), goes well with jeans (i think) and comfy.

hmm, does it go well with jeans?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are nice for spring/summer without having to show my toes.

Moosbrugger

Reaction score
short-sleeved shirts. They invariably look terrible on anyone without massive arms

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
can anyone explains the hate for boat shoes?
In my case, I hate the seam running around the top at the front. It's the same reason I will never in my life wear loafers. I think the whole style looks awful, and I've never seen it done right (meaning in a way that appealed to me).
bottega-veneta-boat-shoes-01.jpg
(Bottega Veneta - regardless of the coloration I simply wouldn't wear them unless they were sponsoring me in some way and I was paid/required to walk around in them.)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Those bottegas are pretty unattractive and probably only look good on someone with boatloads of indiv style. Boat shoes don't really look that crazy. Like a loafer with a different sole. They're really not that hard to wear and make look decent. People are just weird about backlashing against things i guess. They look good in certain looks but not in others. Same goes for pretty much any style of shoe. Are athletic hitop shoes only for playing sports so you don't hurt your ankle or is it possible to wear them without being a big basketball player? I don't understand this forum sometimes. I guess people just like to hate

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Hate most purples especially UO shades or plain purple tees under stuff trying to style out.

Originally Posted by NorCal
Hold on there Cowboy, wife beaters are a staple of my Russian gangster meets hillbilly-rocker steez.

On topic, I don't believe I'll ever wear:
pastel polos
yellow
a hoodie under a tee shirt
fake diamonds
drop crotch pants
a straw boater

Do rock wife beat on daily, will beat fok when I get home. Goal is to own straw boater one day so I can pull off junya/andrew 3k steez.

Originally Posted by whodini
I just wish people didn't have to pay a premium on something that doesn't look like ******* speedcats.

cats love speecats in LA
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I would never wear a shawl neck sweater. Tried one on and it felt like I was being swallowed by a giant ******.

Love shawl necks for this exact reason, have maybe 5.

Originally Posted by mickey711
1. Short shorts
2. Sweatpants
3. Cargo pants
4. Bell-bottoms
5. Skinny jeans - they look terrible on me.
6. Basketball shoes
Seconded.

Forgot this one, seriously never understood this.

Originally Posted by JohnGrays
Boat Shoes
Cardigans
Vests
Skinny Jeans

I saw the notation in the title but I wouldn't know how to classify it so I'll just say I'll never wear ANYTHING ed hardy-esque in design.

Love cardigans, check official cardigan thread for inspiration. Hate mc type cardigans though.

Originally Posted by kelvinsense
newsboy caps

The right one ie. not original penguin or some garbage (may be a variation on the shape) is nice on the right person

Originally Posted by Nil
Sweater vests.
Suit vests worn casually.
Jean shorts.

So down to rock a sweater vest though not a la br steez.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
It's a very thin line between a nice suit/sportcoat pattern and a boring, nordstrom-y one.

-club/emblem ties
-ascots
-suspenders
-tech-y boots
-monk straps
-trail shoes (you know, like north face sneakers or montrail or whatever)
-Birkenstocks
-bracelets/jewelry
-anything drapey/slinky/sheer--generally things that "play with proportion"--definitely a "can't wear" for me
-long board shorts

Despise despise despise monks (mc groupthink), birkenstocks (in CA they are a joke) and bracelets. Don't like jewelry though have one ring I love. And ascots are so gangsta, will rock more soon.

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Those bottegas are pretty unattractive and probably only look good on someone with boatloads of indiv style. Boat shoes don't really look that crazy. Like a loafer with a different sole. They're really not that hard to wear and make look decent. People are just weird about backlashing against things i guess. They look good in certain looks but not in others. Same goes for pretty much any style of shoe. Are athletic hitop shoes only for playing sports so you don't hurt your ankle or is it possible to wear them without being a big basketball player? I don't understand this forum sometimes. I guess people just like to hate
I already said "regardless of the coloration" and I would say otherwise they are pretty run-of-the-mill boat shoes, no? You can accuse me of simple "trend-hating" till you're blue in the face (EDIT: and in other cases I'll admit to it), but I've detested loafers since sixth grade (I had to start wearing black loafers/dress shoes to school in grade 7 and nothing without laces was ever the least bit attractive to me), obviously long before I was the least bit interested in the intricacies of clothing and style. Since then I haven't seen anything to change my mind about loafers, and boat shoes to me are just an even uglier version with that cord running around the heel and the silly grommet holes.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
boxing[1].gif

Wearing my leather Bostons at the office today (as indoor shoes with socks), sure beats sweating with red wings on.

Sandals with socks?

ffffuuuu.gif

everybodynobody

Reaction score
-Watches over 38" in diameter
-V Neck Ts
-Red Wings and Alden Indys unless I'm performing manual labor or some function that requires work boots
-Common Projects, Generic Man, and other plain canvas sneakers that cost over $100

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

I'll try:

-Good with shorts, good with pants (with or without socks.)

-Good for going to/from beach for those sandal hating weirdos who wear their Allen Edmonds in the sand. Can also be worn on boats. (Boats! Awesome!)

-They look great all thrashed and beat up and are super comfy when broken in.

-Really just a good all around versatile casual shoe.

-1000 times better than the white Vans type shoe that many reach for and that make most men look like 12 year olds going to their first day of school....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads