• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to another country (France)

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Hey,

First time post on this board of the forum, but I've lurked for a little while and I've noticed quite a few threads about relocating or locations in general, so I thought I would post this. Would you ever consider moving to another country?

I've been tossing around the idea of moving to France in my head and I was just curious about the board's thoughts on the topic of moving to another country. I've been there several times and love the country, but my longest stay was only a month and a half so I was curious about hearing from people with experience or otherwise random opinions. What would you/have you missed the most? Biggest challenges? Best things, personal life, etc.

I know this isn't very specific yet, and my thoughts on this aren't quite as random as it seems, but I didn't want to get too specific yet because I wanted to hear thoughts on the concept/cultural issues first rather than a flood of thoughts/questions about work, immigration, etc. (although plenty interested in those too if this turns into a full conversation). Please discuss.
Thanks!

Jared,

P.S. I'm sure there will be some, but light on the French bashing please
smile.gif

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boarhill
I think you and France deserve each other sir.

Cute in a snarky ignorant sort of way.....

To be more broad, this question doesn't have to do with France at all (it was just in reference to me), more what would you miss about leaving your home country?

boarhill

Reaction score
I'm afraid you misunderstand me sir. I think France would be a perfect match for you. I believe they have a lovely little colony on Devils Island where a person of your calibre would fit in nicely. You don't happen to have a tatoo of a butterfly do you?

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
I'm afraid you misunderstand me sir. I think France would be a perfect match for you. I believe they have a lovely little colony on Devils Island where a person of your calibre would fit in nicely. You don't happen to have a tatoo of a butterfly do you?

Don't worry; I don't take you thinking you're clever personally. Upon never seeing you before I looked to see your other posts, and found with one exception you never inject anything useful into the conversation. Your assuming and impertinent style accompanied by liberal ambivalent use of the term "Sir" has been noted.

As far as the island colony is concerned, the rather stifling and humid climate would not appeal to me long term, nor would various evacuations/having to keep faith in the Guiana Space Center.

O, and Papillon was a good flick, that is all, Sir.

Jared,

boarhill

Reaction score
If wit and good taste no longer has value, then I confess I am am a beggar, sir

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One issue to think about is language. They speak French there.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
One issue to think about is language. They speak French there.

True, and although not a problem on the basic communicating level for me, cultural references contained within do make me start to miss things about English quite a bit. Having to have things explained to me by native French friends in the middle of a conversation can slow things down a bit.

Jared,

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and they drink wine - sure you can deal with that?

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
you'll probably need a job

I know....lol. Please see the last paragraph of my op, I intentionally left out details on my career.

Jared,

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Also they eat snails

I've never been opposed to trying them, but none of my French friends really like them and I'm not going to order an entire plate for myself.

Originally Posted by Thomas
and they drink wine - sure you can deal with that?

I will try...
drool.gif
I'm sure not having to sneak bottles back into the U.S. will help me deal with this.

Jared,

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
It feels like you are trying to find rationale for a decision your intuition has already helped to make. Go.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
It feels like you are trying to find rationale for a decision your intuition has already helped to make. Go.

Quite possible, and/but I was also hoping some people would chime in with things that they would miss/any extended abroad experiences. With the threads on changing cities, I figured changing cities and countries could be an interesting topic. No expatriates on the board huh?

Jared,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads