• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Life for a Suit [pictorial]

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Thanks for sharing this! Just remember to take lots of photos so you can show her when she's older just how cool she was when she was young.
Can't wait to see the finished project.

I will. And thank you.

Originally Posted by malefic
Very cool, this makes me want to go find the nicest $10 thrift blazer I can and tear it apart just to see what goes on inside.

I used to do that with electronics as a kid (phones, VCRs, TVs) but I'm sure it never even occurs to a lot of people that there is literally more to their clothing than meets the eye.

Make sure it's full canvas"”that will give you some extra fabric.

We thought it would be handy to put pockets on the coat. And then I remembered these, from the Italian tailor Valentino Ricci:

sciamattrademark.jpg

I made some prints of the image to determine the right size, and this looked about right:

36sciamatzakje.jpg

Fabric cut:

38stofenpatroontjegekni.jpg

Lining cut and pinned on:

39gespeldoponderkantna.jpg

Stitched through, except for a small piece in the bottom:

40agestiktoponderkantna.jpg

40agestiktoponderkantna.jpg

Then I, as a layman, thought something had gone wrong: I thought the wrong side of the fabric had been used (see the first picture of the pictures above). But no: it was the right side. The pocket will be turned inside out after the stitching (hence the small piece in the bottom that hasn't been stitched through). Then the fabric is on the right side and the pocket looks neatly finished.

Turning in process:

41halfomgedraaid.jpg

Et voilà :

43voorkant.jpg

Other side:

42helemaalomgedraaid.jpg

On the coat:

44opjasjepatternmatchin.jpg

The pockets pinned on the coat, prepared for the machine...

46zakjesopjasjegespeld.jpg

Up close:

47vandichtbij.jpg

Top collar and edge front stitched through:

50kraagdoorgestikt.jpg

Detail:

51vandichtbij.jpg

Stitching of the pocket:

48zakopstikken.jpg

Result:

49zakopgestikt.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Terribly sorry. But no means no.
(As I try to convincingly tell* my two year old.)

*) Split infinitive?

Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one!

snotty2.jpg

Actually, I'd need two
lookaround.gif

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one! Make me one!
snotty2.jpg
Actually, I'd need two
lookaround.gif

I don't think NOBD, can actually make you one he is not a tailor. He's sort of like Rubinacci. edit: Yeah, also more important than my lame joke...this is way cool

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

snotty2.jpg

Actually, I'd need two
lookaround.gif

I LOLed when I saw this. Thanks!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is so ridiculously awesome.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But the lack of divots mean this thread will never reach 45 pages. You have truly failed your daughter...
wink.gif

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is awesome. I can really imagine a scenario in ten or more years when your girlfriend talks to your little girl: "Do you remember when Daddy tore his Zegna apart for your new dress?"

Is there a chance to see you daughter modelling the new model?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

Actually, I'd need two
lookaround.gif

Hm. The text is not going to work, but the picture... I'd better not show her"”she might accidentally make you three.

Originally Posted by Holdfast
This is so ridiculously awesome.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

But the lack of divots mean this thread will never reach 45 pages. You have truly failed your daughter...
wink.gif

(Thank you.) You haven't seen it on yet*.

Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
This is awesome. I can really imagine a scenario in ten or more years when your girlfriend talks to your little girl: "Do you remember when Daddy tore his Zegna apart for your new dress?"

Is there a chance to see you daughter modelling the new model?

*) I'll let her decide when she's eighteen.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dat is gaaf!!

Originally Posted by NOBD
We thought it would be handy to put pockets on the coat. And then I remembered these, from the Italian lawyer Valentino Ricci:

fix't

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At last, some handwork"”bottom of the coat:

52onderkantafgewerkt.jpg

53vandichtbij.jpg

Machine alert again: buttonholes...

54knoopsgateni.jpg

55knoopsgatenii.jpg

56knoopsgateniii.jpg

The buttons. I think mother of pearl is more suitable for spring/summer, but I didn't have horn buttons, and these are a bit more rustic (see last picture) and darker, and it is for a girl's coat, so I thougth a little 'cheerfulness' would be welcome:

45parelmoerenknopen.jpg

Buttons on:

57knopen.jpg

58opstift.jpg

Well, that's it for now. What remains, is the finishing of the sleeves; this weekend perhaps.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has she seen what an awesome coat you two have put together?

*EDIT* also, what type of camera did you use to shoot those pictures?

Thanks.

ajv

Reaction score
I am flabagasted.................How wonderful and refreshing......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads