• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide leather briefcase from mw-traveler: comments?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I wrote to MW asking if they're considering making a small messenger bag style, along the lines of what SBL calls their "satchel". I've decided that I really need a leather man-purse, and I love the leather that MW uses.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered the bag on friday ... will post my comments here when the bag comes in.

I wish they offered a wider shoulder strap. I don't understand why most manufacturers skimp on the width of the straps. The ideal width for me is something like this vintage filson case - not sure if the strap is aftermarket or the original.

3570350947_5a51a95bb6_o.jpg

Compare it to the current filson strap:

_DSC6047.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pls post plenty of pics and your opinion once you receive it.

I agree with you they look far better than the other options usually mentioned. I know Saddleback is a great affiliate here but just from the pics of their bags I can see little annoying mistitches that would drive me mad if I owned one. My Filson bag does not have a single stitch out of place. It's a marvel just to examine and these bags looked very similar in quality.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
pls post plenty of pics and your opinion once you receive it.

I agree with you they look far better than the other options usually mentioned. I know Saddleback is a great affiliate here but just from the pics of their bags I can see little annoying mistitches that would drive me mad if I owned one. My Filson bag does not have a single stitch out of place. It's a marvel just to examine and these bags looked very similar in quality.

I will definitely take lots of phots. I have been looking for a good bag within my budget for a while, and I hope this bag is good.

I decided long back that Saddleback briefcases are not for me. One of the reasons is what you mention above.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am liking these bags more and more.

I found some used steerhide mw-traveler pre-production bags on ebay ... they looks super nice with some wear on it. Take a good look at the pic below showing the gussets.

If my bag looks anything like this with use, I am going to be *very* happy:

iDxHw.jpg

BQhoE.jpg

ri4NH.jpg

SI81V.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks excellent and appears to be very well made. I'll be in the market for something similar in the near future so I look forward to your report.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaun wrote to me today saying that my bag has been delayed for a bit. I am in no hurry, so it is OK with me,

I found these two pics online of the quick release, and I really like the idea of snaps:

The snaps themselves:
Nickelseparated.jpg

The quick release action:
)imo the best solution so far, compared to saddleback's 3rd strap or customhide's hiddle buckle)

vu6RX.jpg

4g3f1.jpg

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recieved my briefcase from mw-traveler. Thought I'd post some pics and do a mini review. I am EXTREMELY happy with the bag.

The bag totally oozes quality, with full grain horsehide used everywhere (all linings). The color is so rich and has the same depth of color as shell cordovan. Stitching is top notch and the leather is just outstanding. The hardware used is excellent and the quick release is just beautifully executed. With the snap buttons, you push on the bottom and it comes open in a second - no fidding with button snaps or buckles or clasps. They did a great job with this one.

The laptop comparment padding is great as well. Comfortably fits in a 15" laptop, and the bottom part of this compartment has extra thick, stiff padding. The pockets in the back comfortably hold a cellphone and a calulator - it would be good for a blackberry/iphone as well. There is a zip in the backside of the laptop compartment (brass zip) that runs full length of the case - useful for storing small things.

I'll let the pics do the talking, if you have any questions, please ask.
(color in pics is very true to life)

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE PICS WHEN YOU REPLY

xpt1u.jpg

thYHJ.jpg

rjnOj.jpg

Jbu81.jpg

DePZd.jpg

URFwo.jpg

HZaKc.jpg

VmKdd.jpg

HFR8c.jpg

AvogD.jpg

Vq296.jpg

FfBL9.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice - QR looks solid.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I recieved my briefcase from mw-traveler. Thought I'd post some pics and do a mini review. I am EXTREMELY happy with the bag.

The bag totally oozes quality, with full grain horsehide used everywhere (all linings). The color is so rich and has the same depth of color as shell cordovan. Stitching is top notch and the leather is just outstanding. The hardware used is excellent and the quick release is just beautifully executed. With the snap buttons, you push on the bottom and it comes open in a second - no fidding with button snaps or buckles or clasps. They did a great job with this one.

The laptop comparment padding is great as well. Comfortably fits in a 15" laptop, and the bottom part of this compartment has extra thick, stiff padding. The pockets in the back comfortably hold a cellphone and a calulator - it would be good for a blackberry/iphone as well. There is a zip in the backside of the laptop compartment (brass zip) that runs full length of the case - useful for storing small things.

I'll let the pics do the talking, if you have any questions, please ask.
(color in pics is very true to life)

I'm looking hard at either the straight briefcase or the laptop bag. My concern is that the laptop bag will be too bulky for day-to-day commuting (I don't carry a laptop), and the briefcase too small for short trips where I carry a laptop, power cord, and a notebook or two (I have something big for serious business travel).

Do you think the laptop bag is small enough that it won't be a pain carrying around 3/4 empty, on a cramped subway, etc.? If it's not too bulky, I'll just buy it and enjoy the spare capacity. If it is, I'll go with the smaller bag -- less versatile, but better for daily use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads