• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Davies & Son

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This will be a dull post, since there are no photos, but I wanted to write something complimentary about Davies & Son.

I have been using them for the last couple of years, prompted to move after my cutter left for them from Dege. I very much liked the Dege cut and style but for a variety of reasons had been thinking about a change and the cutter's departure was as good a prompt as any.

I now have four suits from Davies, which is enough of a sample size to say that I have been very happy with them. The cut is similar to Dege's, though not a precise duplicate. That should be no surprise as Alan Bennett, the head of the firm, had also trained under Dege's Michael Skinner (the elder Mr. Skinner can probably take credit for the training of many a Saville Row cutter). The most noticeable difference is that the Davies shoulder is not cut quite as tight as Dege's, having slightly more extension. I am sure there are others, but can't claim to be able to notice everything.

Pricing is on the high side for SR, and, more than most SR tailors, their prices vary depending on the cloth ordered.

Davies is supposed to be fairly flexible about their cut, at least within the general parameters of a traditional SR-style suit, but I can't speak to all their work. I can say that if you are looking for a well-executed "military-influenced" SR cut, I can recommend them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to be educated: is everything non-A&S on Savile Row of the "military" variety, or is there a third type?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd like to be educated: is everything non-A&S on Savile Row of the "military" variety, or is there a third type?
There is a great post by manton on this somewhere on SF (search for silhouette). The short answer is "no". There is Huntsman's equestrian style, which is a bit longer and leaner. There is also the classic SR style, which is typified by Poole. The best way to describe it is moderated - it has a firm chest that is not lean but not really swelled either, it is waisted, but not really skirted, shoulders are natural, not extended much . The old KFS was a good example and Gieves was as well, but not exactly so.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
There is a great post by manton on this somewhere on SF (search for silhouette). The short answer is "no". There is Huntsman's equestrian style, which is a bit longer and leaner. There is also the classic SR style, which is typified by Poole. The best way to describe it is moderated - it has a firm chest that is not lean but not really swelled either, it is waisted, but not really skirted, shoulders are natural, not extended much . The old KFS was a good example and Gieves was as well, but not exactly so.

Thanks--that was informative. A&S really is quite the oddball, I guess.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff

WTF could you possibly be objecting to in this thread?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
WTF could you possibly be objecting to in this thread?

He's showing off the embroidery design for his new waistcoat that Davies & Son are making for him.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't they make HRH Prince Charles's military uniforms?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that Welsh & Jefferies handle Chuck's gear for the army.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dopey, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

As you know , I do like my equestrian or military cut and I haven't thought of Davies before...

Could be the last stop on my long Savile row journey...

Any pictures? Are they more Dege uniform inspired than Huntsman?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey

Blades and Nutter are cuts I consider very SR, and not really in that tradition.

You see some aspects of them resurface, say, in oh, David Reeves.

And then there are the exotic cuts of Jheeta, which are maharaja-y.

Here's a 1983 Nutter for Anthony Powell...horizontal rather than RSS diagonal...

59346-large.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads