• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

racetrack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
wtf shipping from alden internationally is 135$.

If I'm in Canada, what is a good place to get the indy boot?

+1
ffffuuuu.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
wtf shipping from alden internationally is 135$.

If I'm in Canada, what is a good place to get the indy boot?

Originally Posted by racetrack
+1
ffffuuuu.gif

In Canada (Ontario, at least)? I'm not aware of anyone who carries them.

To Canada? To circumvent customs, I'd get them proxied from someone who can order from Shoe Mart or LeatherSoul. If customs isn't a concern, just order them for reasonable shipping.

JcrewxAlden Indy? You could phone order them into the nearest J crew store, cross the border, and pick them up. This only really works if you live not far from the Buffalo or Michigan borders, or wherever else. Guaranteed they wont have them in store.

false

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
In Canada (Ontario, at least)? I'm not aware of anyone who carries them.

To Canada? To circumvent customs, I'd get them proxied from someone who can order from Shoe Mart or LeatherSoul. If customs isn't a concern, just order them for reasonable shipping.

JcrewxAlden Indy? You could phone order them into the nearest J crew store, cross the border, and pick them up. This only really works if you live not far from the Buffalo or Michigan borders, or wherever else. Guaranteed they wont have them in store.

Is crew still carrying them? I looked on the regular Jcrew site and the liquor store sight but saw no sign. I tried on pair of Indy's the other day and they were the most comfortable thing I've ever worn but I prefer the chromexel uppers of the Jcrew/LS Ultimates/403 and the heel stitching on the crew version. Alternatively, is anyone carrying regularly carrying the 403 yet? I saw someone post that they got one by chance in a B&M but otherwise they're nowhere to be seen.

As an aside, how much should fit vary if across different models with the same last but different uppers? I tried on three boots, one Barrie-last wingtip boot and two Indy's (405 and cordovan). I didn't like the Barrie but it seemed like the regular 405 was more comfortable than the cordovan version. Is this normal?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those high lace boots in #8 cordovan are calling my name. If they were whiskey cordovan my bank account would have a nice dent put in it already.

Casual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
Is crew still carrying them? I looked on the regular Jcrew site and the liquor store sight but saw no sign.

Yes, they took them down along with some other stuff because they are having an online sale.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Paul Smith I think the Kudu chukkas at J. Gilbert are in contention for my next big shoe purchase
:/ Just realized they're more of a grey-brown rather than a grey-black. Damn.

Sui Generis

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion of black shell cordovan? I'm looking at wingtip high boots or possibly Indy boots in black, and I'm between calfskin and shell. I have the shell chukkas in #8 and I like how the shell creases, but I'm not sure this will look right on wingtip boots.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my opinion - shell cordovan > calf in 90% of cases. There's plenty of pictures of shell longwings and wingtips in this thread and on the internet. See how they would look creased. If you like the look better than calf then there you go.

Edicron

Reaction score
One of the speed eyelets on my Alden boots recently tore out. This is after less than 10 wears!! What's my best option to have this fixed? I'm wondering if I could convert all of the speed eyelets to regular ones (like the look better) or if I should just ask Alden to send a couple replacement eyelets and have a cobbler fix it?

I had just lexol'd the shoes too, I wonder if that weakened the leather somehow.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an eyelet from my indy's got caught on my door today while getting out of the car and ripped the leather. fun

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racetrack
its the only city in Canada that matters, amrite?

/flamesuit on

Yes, I was reading that in last Saturday's Globe and Mail.

false

Reaction score
For the record, Jcrew still has the Indy but its $450 and you can't use education discounts. Same price as Leather Soul but without the commando and not from an independednt dealer so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads