• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Groupthink

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
A&F thread didn't remind me of "groupthinking", the Biscotti in WAYWT thing does.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
sheeple.png

XKCD doin it right.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Incoming new religion. XKCDism.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i still don't understand why there isn't a ******* or reacharound icon on here when posting replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
We need a lil ho crying or on her period smilie for most here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Yall the sheep and I'm the sheepherder.
Buy me jawnz and I'll join team Jet.
Originally Posted by Listi
**** all you "OMG GROUPTHINK" people, you're just as annoying as the supposed "groupthink" is. Instead of getting pissed off and making bitchy special flower threads, make threads about brands we've never heard about at stores we don't know about. Prove you're above the hype instead of just proclaiming it vocally all the time. It's getting so annoying.
I'm going to go make an official Crocs thread

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I embrace the SF groupthink, and that makes me unique

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
A&F thread didn't remind me of "groupthinking", the Biscotti in WAYWT thing does.
I'm assuming you're referring to the bandwagoning against his jeans fit? I think many people are reluctant to criticize established members, regardless of how bad a fit or stupid a comment is, because they're considered 'important' somehow. So when someone does post some criticism, others are quick to follow suit once someone else breaches the topic since it feels safer. I think that course of events is pretty common, and not just on the internet.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything particularly surprising about groupthink. Terms like "fashion" and "trend" imply a collective agreement of some kind. It's embedded into clothing.

So, I think it's futile to harp on groupthink. Human beings will stop judging clothes based on the approval of others when human beings stop seeking the approval of others, which will only happen when the human race ceases to exist. And it doesn't take away anything from those who dress for themselves...on the contrary, it only makes them stand out more. In fact, one could argue that anyone truly bothered by the issue of groupthink might not be as comfortable with their own style as they'd claim.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
I'm assuming you're referring to the bandwagoning against his jeans fit? I think many people are reluctant to criticize established members, regardless of how bad a fit or stupid a comment is, because they're considered 'important' somehow. So when someone does post some criticism, others are quick to follow suit once someone else breaches the topic since it feels safer. I think that course of events is pretty common, and not just on the internet.
I'm actually referring to the opposite. It's not like Biscotti didn't look 17 and totally fish-out-of-water in all his other pictures, but because a couple people kept giving him compliments, nobody told him he looked like a kid playing dress up. And suddenly, since one person has given him a critique, everybody piled on now that they know it's okay to do so.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ TxdoHawk Hit the nail on the head.

Fashion is groupthink. As much as one would like to disconnect trends with creative dress, trends will always will be the largest part of fashion, it is after all the primary definition of fashion, the common dress.

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed Hardy errything, Ed Hardy cards,
Ed Hardy cars, Ed Hardy errything.

spudnik99

Reaction score
I'm a forum junkie (cars, travel, food, clothes, movies), I don't consider groupthink to be an issue here or anywhere else.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I embrace the SF groupthink, and that makes me unique

Groupthinking is a great part of SF.
It upgrades people who can't dress to a standart that's better than where they came from (pure aestheticly) and it give smarter people some nice restraints to kick against.

Now you aren't unique anymore
boxing[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads