• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barcelona chair replica

Le Samourai

Reaction score
Frankly i cant afford to spend 5k on an knoll version or a vintage piece. Any decent reproductions around for smalltimers? Advice/recommendations welcome. Btw im in the U.K. Thanks.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry to say it but every 'replica' i have see looks crap. especially the white ones

i would save and wait.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I've seen this come up before, and I have to ask...are these things actually comfortable at all? In any way?

Because they really don't look as if they are, TBH.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I've seen this come up before, and I have to ask...are these things actually comfortable at all? In any way?

Because they really don't look as if they are, TBH.

No, they're made for lobbies not to curl in reading a book.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are comfortable for some uses. reading the news paper, or enjoying in a social situation

they arent lounge chairs tho, and i wouldnt want to use one for watching TV or listening to music.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
they are comfortable for some uses. reading the news paper, or enjoying in a social situation

they arent lounge chairs tho, and i wouldnt want to use one for watching TV or listening to music.

I have no problem watching movies in a Le Corbusier couch and I still wouldn't know what to do with a Barcelona chair.

DBoon

Reaction score
my grandmother was in the Bauhaus :shock:

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I have no problem watching movies in a Le Corbusier couch and I still wouldn't know what to do with a Barcelona chair.

It's like a striped shirt...you look at it.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Corbusier have plenty of padding which makes them quite comfortable. i dont find them very attractive tho.

barcelonas are good in a lounge room used for entertaining guests

for pure comfort go the Eames Loungechair.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
It's like a striped shirt...you look at it.

I also find it hard to integrate in an interior or even use as an accent piece. It looks good in the lobbies of modernists or brutalist buildings and in the original pavilion.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Of all the iconic modernist furniture, I think the most comfortable is Marcel Breuer's chair. The ergonomics of the Barcelona chair are awkward. You can't put your hands anywhere but on your lap and the angle of incline makes sitting straight-legged a bit robotic or sitting cross-legged a bit immobile.

MBreuer-WassilyChair.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Of all the iconic modernist furniture, I think the most comfortable is Marcel Breuer's chair. The ergonomics of the Barcelona chair are awkward. You can't put your hands anywhere but on your lap and the angle of incline makes sitting straight-legged a bit robotic or sitting cross-legged a bit immobile.

MBreuer-WassilyChair.jpg

Indeed, and it is much more versatile than those Roman generals seatings. Unless you're going full retro, integration or at least interesting contrast with contemporary designs should be a priority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads