• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

dfischer1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
I'd be interested to see a TaT placement.

2.5 stars. The full canvas gives it points, but the rough handiwork and polarizing fit keep it from going any higher.

Any votes for Steven Aver?

DF

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
FYI, in the book I mentioned, Corneliani is the company that uses factories in Egypt and rips the tags out in Milan. Thomas says that all Valentino menswear is produced outside of Italy, then sent to Italy, tags are replaced, and then sent out.

Interesting. I wonder what percentage of suits Corneliani produces are actually made in Egypt, and what models.

Robert Goodell

Reaction score
This is a fascinating Thread. By way of introduction, and in sincere humility as a newcomer, perhaps someone could advise which of the "better" lines (reference above rankings ) has models for taller men. I am 6'4", 220 lbs, and am best described as a 45 XL. In the last years it seems many lines have dropped those of us at the extremes.

Thanks,

RJG

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Interesting. I wonder what percentage of suits Corneliani produces are actually made in Egypt, and what models.

What I remember off the top of my head, and there is a video on youtube about this...is ALL the suits for Valentino are made in Egypt.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
- Oxxford
- Brioni
- Cesare Attolini Napoli (after seen and tried it for the first time, indeed one of the best)
- Luigi Borrelli
- RLPL (not suit maker, a designer brand)
- Luciano Barbera Collezioni Sartoriale
- St Andrew
- Sartoria Partenopea
- Isaia

- D'Avenza

Very Good[****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category).
- Belvest
- Corneliani Linea Sartoria
- Sartoria Attolini Napoli
- Canali Milano
- (most of Raffaelle Caruso) eg. Sartoria Parma / RL Black Label / RL Signature
- Pal Zileri Sartoriale (I think there is another line higher than Sartoriale, the custom made one, IIRC "Abito Privato", excellent quality)
- Ravazzolo
- Zegna Couture
- Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
- Sartoria Castangia
- Borrelli Luxury Vintage

Good[***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits).
- Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- Hickey Freeman Mainline
- Corneliani
- Canali
- K by Canali
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Samuelsohn
- Paul Smith Mainline (not a suit maker, designer brand - fully canvassed)
- Faconnable Tailleur (also designer brand)
- Cantarelli Tailor
- Etro / Boglioli
- Giorgio Armani (black label)

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable).
- Cantarelli
- Brooks Brothers 1818 (half canvassed)
- Paul Smith London (not a suit maker, designer brand - half canvassed)
- H. Freemann
- Hickey Freeman LTD (Half Canvas)
- hickey
- Hackett
- Z-Zegna

Mediocre[*] (Suits that are mediocre)
- Hugo Boss
- Marco Valentino (half canvas) - surprising but I found the VFM is great
- Joseph Abboud
- J. Press

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Armani Collezioni, the Zegna production of it (1996-2008), and the now "made by armani corp" suits? I would put AC at *** since many people here like it due to its more conservative, western cut. I think that Armani black label's "Fatto A Mano" line should go to ****, as those are canvassed and well hand made. As for the entry level black label, I'll agree with ***.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Thank you for the fixes
thumbs-up.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
How about Armani Collezioni, the Zegna production of it (1996-2008), and the now "made by armani corp" suits? I would put AC at *** since many people here like it due to its more conservative, western cut. I think that Armani black label's "Fatto A Mano" line should go to ****, as those are canvassed and well hand made. As for the entry level black label, I'll agree with ***.

Shh, don't clutter it up. My favorite part of the thread is how it exists in a vacuum, with no qualification for time of manufacture and only the vaguest definition for each tier. I have a fully canvassed Botany 500 coat, so Botany 500 should go no lower than the third tier, right?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTH is Botany 500? Sounds like a Nascar event... :roma:

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
WTH is Botany 500? Sounds like a Nascar event... :roma:

In its heyday, from what I can tell, it was a respectable U.S. maker of decent quality suits. The type of thing that would have populated most Main Street men's shops. My Botany 500 sportcoat is fully canvassed and rather nifty -- about Hickey Freeman quality. But these days, Botany exists as a licensed name only. The Daroff factory, where the suits were made, has long since closed. You can check out the current incarnation's "website" here.

Botany 500 dressed a lot of gameshow hosts in the '80s, which probably did them no favors. PJC in Nova, however, once noted over at Andy's that Botany provided the suits for Rod Serling's Twilight Zone intros. And Wikipedia claims they also dressed Don Adams on Get Smart, which is pretty cool.

At some point, my thrifting expeditions suggest, they developed an unfortunate love affair with fusing. I'm not sure when the rot set in, but this list isn't concerned with such things, anyway. One Botany is the same as the next.

Botany 500, by Daroff!

82761657_2ccb79b4a5.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks

Sanddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Shh, don't clutter it up. My favorite part of the thread is how it exists in a vacuum, with no qualification for time of manufacture and only the vaguest definition for each tier. I have a fully canvassed Botany 500 coat, so Botany 500 should go no lower than the third tier, right?

With all due respect, Doc, instead of complaining about this thread, you *could* try to make a contribution to it.

The search for this sort of information is what leads a lot of newbies (like me) to SF, and not all will have the patience or the desire to develop your level of expertise on this topic. Instead, they will search the archives for something like this (since nothing seems to get pinned anymore) and finding it they will end up relying to some degree on this list. There are a lot of us who would appreciate your input, or constructive commentary, rather than just bitching.

My reading here has made me aware that a lot of the regulars are bored with questions like this, but rather than just stating that the list is completely bogus, pointing out what's wrong with it, or correcting it, would help a lot of people. A good list built from the collective, subjective opinion of the suit-savvy veterans on this site and pinned to the top would probably eliminate a whole lot of newbie-started threads, too.

Just my $0.02. Apologies for the presumption. Please proceed.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
In its heyday, from what I can tell, it was a respectable U.S. maker of decent quality suits....

Also once widely available on Ceti Alpha V.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads