• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Valextra wallet a suitable coat wallet?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
I'm currently looking for a good coat wallet and I stumbled onto this beauty from Valextra. My girlfriend seems to think it mirrors a female wallet. What do you guys think?

http://www.barneys.com/12%20Credit%2...efault,pd.html

That is more or less the same dimensions as the wallet I carry. Mine has seven credit card pockets on one side and full length gusseted pocket on the other.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
My only fear is that the extra side for CC and 3 other gusset will make it too thick for a coat wallet.
I don't think so, but it depends on how much you stuff into the gusset pockets. The full length pockets on your version don't have gussets and probably limit how much you can put in them - they look like flat cash pockets. This is mine:
039-0045_00250000.1.jpg
039-0045_00250000.2.jpg
It replaced a similar sized one from the old Coach that I liked better, though this has a better pocket layout.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot. It should work fine in a breast pocket.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
It looks nice, not "female." However I'd look for something a bit cheaper and use the savings to treat the girlfriend to dinner...

EZ

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
It looks nice, not "female." However I'd look for something a bit cheaper and use the savings on hookers and blow

EZ

fix'd

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
It replaced a similar sized one from the old Coach that I liked better, though this has a better pocket layout.
Sorry to threadjack, but could you elaborate on this a bit? Did they go through some major change a few years ago? I've noticed they have been focusing more and more on flashy women's purses and less on men's products and actual luggage. I also think their products have decreased in quality in the last 5 years or so. I had a wallet from about 5 years ago that I thought was great, but lately their stuff is meh.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Sorry to threadjack, but could you elaborate on this a bit? Did they go through some major change a few years ago? I've noticed they have been focusing more and more on flashy women's purses and less on men's products and actual luggage. I also think their products have decreased in quality in the last 5 years or so. I had a wallet from about 5 years ago that I thought was great, but lately their stuff is meh.
Once upon a time, they were a leather goods company that had a factory in NY turning out high-quality items using very good bridle leather. Several years ago, I don't recall how long ago but at least five or six years, they switched to being a fashion brand and shut down their manufacturing facility, moving production first to Italy and then to China. That was probably about the time they went public or in advance of that. I don't know if they were first bought by a PE concern, but that would be a good, uninformed guess. They still design stuff, but they don't make it anymore. The old bags were beautifully made - especially the leather. I looked at some of the new bags and I can't see anything that would distinguish them from any other knock-off product.

elgreco

Reaction score
I hate to point this out, but I think Barney's has categorized this as a ladies wallet. Click on the orange variation of the wallet and you'll note the header is "Women's / Handbags / Wallets & Accessories".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads