• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Hermes is not on the list. Can someone give me their rank, even if not part of the official list (personal interest)? Thanks

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Is a tailors hand stronger than a machine, I think not.
You chose a very poor analogy there and poor logic. A child could pull on a thread with the same tension as a machine. Firstly if you adjust a sewing machine's tension too tight you will end up with broken thread and twisted material. Secondly suits are not made of leather or 4 layers of denim so you don't need a strong needle and lots of force to sew. Thirdly a sewing machine uses 2 or more threads. You may have noticed if one thread breaks and you pull on it the whole seam easily unravels. Anything sewn by hand wil use a single thread, if it breaks and you pull on the thread you will just tighten the whole seam and wrinkle the material, but it will not unravel. If anything machine made suits are more likely to fall apart than hand made suits although I've never seen any garment fall apart at the seams, including $1 tshirts.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Hermes is not on the list. Can someone give me their rank, even if not part of the official list (personal interest)? Thanks

It would go under Belvest. Hermes is trump at leathers, and I feel they should only be doing leathers, RTW seems to be hurting these old brands. LV doing clothing is just wrong. Their leather work is **** though, its horrible.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
When was the last time you owned a GA suit? Also do you understand that if every "hand made" suit was HAND MADE, they would fall apart within months. Machines, quality machines and someone that knows what they are doing do much stronger work than your HAND can. Is a tailors hand stronger than a machine, I think not. If you guys would just read Deluxe, by Dana Thomas, you would learn that you guys have fallen into a marketing trap. Half the brands you people **** over are made in Egypt, and sent up to Italy where they rip the tags out. Interestingly GA was praised in that book and so was RL.

But don't they "rip the tags out" by hand?
A fine Italian hand at that.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever really looked at your hand? Just looked at it?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Have you ever really looked at your hand? Just looked at it?

Yes. I have inherited the slightly curved pinky from my father which my daughter
and grandchildren have as well.

Binge what are you doing posting on Saturday night?
I suppose you are awaiting your guests while your
staff busys itself with last minute preparations.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
But don't they "rip the tags out" by hand?
A fine Italian hand at that.

Have you heard the old expression "a fine Italian hand?" It's an old saying that applied to a situation in which you believed, at first, that you were dealing with one rather inept adversary. However, as the matter progressed, you began to realize that there was a more skilled, subtle "” and invisible "” player involved, manipulating things at a much more sophisticated level. That player was the "fine Italian hand."

http://www.bookwormroom.com/2008/05/...in-the-garage/

Stavros

Reaction score
Added Etro & Armani black label.

Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
- Oxxford
- Brioni
- Cesare Attolini Napoli (after seen and tried it for the first time, indeed one of the best)
- Luigi Borrelli and Luxury Vintage line
- RLPL (not suit maker, a designer brand)
- Luciano Barbera Collezioni Sartoriale
- St Andrew
- D'Avenza

Very Good[****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category).
- Belvest
- Corneliani Linea Sartoria
- Canali Milano
- Sartoria Partenopea
- Sartoria Attolini Napoli
- Isaia
- (most of Raffaelle Caruso) eg. Sartoria Parma
- Pal Zileri Sartoriale (I think there is another line higher than Sartoriale, the custom made one, IIRC "Abito Privato", excellent quality)
- Ravazzolo
- Zegna Couture
- Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
-Sartorio Castangia

Good[***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits).
- Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- Hickey Freeman Mainline
- Corneliani
- Canali
- K by Canali
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Samuelsohn
- Paul Smith Mainline (not a suit maker, designer brand - fully canvassed)
- RLBL (not a suit maker, designer brand - fully canvassed)
- Faconnable Tailleur (also designer brand)
- Cantarelli Tailor
- Etro
- Giorgio Armani (black label)

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable).
- Cantarelli
- Boglioli (might not be not in terms of construction, but def for cut and fabric)
- Brooks Brothers 1818 (half canvassed)
- Paul Smith London (not a suit maker, designer brand - half canvassed)
- H. Freemann
- Hickey Freeman LTD (Half Canvas)
- hickey
- Hackett

Mediocre[*] (Suits that are mediocre)
- Z-Zegna (sometimes satisfactory sometimes mediocre)
- Hugo Boss
- Marco Valentino (half canvas) - surprising but I found the VFM is great
- Joseph Abboud
- J. Press

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After speaking with the salesman at Borrelli (sadly two weeks before they closed), he claimed that Borrelli is on par with Kiton and Isaia when I told him about my preference towards Isaia.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How the hell did Borrelli's Luxury Vintage get into the top category? A lot of the LV stuff is garbage for the prices charged.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
How the hell did Borrelli's Luxury Vintage get into the top category? A lot of the LV stuff is garbage for the prices charged.

There are many suspect placements in the rankings, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty of this is that you can change it. But only one change per post. Rules are rules you know. Like black suits.

laphroaig

Reaction score
^^^ I agree that rules are exactly like black suits. Only to be used at funerals, and by waiters.

And don't worry maomao1980. It's not in the top category. The top category disappeared from the list a couple of pages back.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, in the book I mentioned, Corneliani is the company that uses factories in Egypt and rips the tags out in Milan. Thomas says that all Valentino menswear is produced outside of Italy, then sent to Italy, tags are replaced, and then sent out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads