• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Dan e gee

Reaction score
I was in Marks and Spencer's getting my "bachelor meals", when I thought I'd have a look at what they are up to in the clothing dept.
I was surprised to see wool trousers for £125. On closer inspection they had a label on them saying that the fabric was Italian, and supplied by Cerruti 1881! Is this true?
They were made in china though.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaCroix
For years I've admired a men's suit designer that seems to have the following signature. The buttonhole on the lapel is of a very different (yet very tasteful) color than the rest of the suit. Sometimes there is two buttonholes on the same lapel.

Most recently I saw this used on the show "Lie to Me". Unfortunately the only picture I could find poorly illustrates this but it is visible.

Would anyone know the name of this designer?

Thom Browne?

incastoutcast

Reaction score
For both mitchellmcm27 and blah123 - Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Lands' End new Canvas line has two Allen Edmonds shoes (here: http://canvas.landsend.com/ix/canvas...tore=le&tab=17)

At a decent price, I would say. Also, mitchellmcm27 I've noticed that especially once you get around size 12, the deals on ebay get rediculously good, since most companies tend to over-produce large sizes.

styleisfun

Reaction score
hi, this question is acctually about a piece of clothing for a woman. it's for my girlfriend, and i NEED to know anything about these gloves! i've only seen THESE pictures, of these gloves, and we both acctually fell in love with them, the brand is the great Jil Sander. (i LOVE Jil Sander, soo good!!) i've done research and checked soo much online, and i just can't find ANYTHING out about these gloves, anywhere for her. i'm guessing 07 fall? but i dont see anything, anywhere! i really need anybody's help, it'd be MUCH appreciated!! thank you!!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one on this board has ever heard of Jil Sander before.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
The attached picture is of item recently sold on Ebay for $25.00 (item 350276754060). I was going to bid on it but thought there must be something obviously wrong. Does the lapel width and double breasted design make it too dated? I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks.

The description follows: Up for auction is this Fabulous High Quality BRIONI Sport Coat / Blazer tailored expressly for WILKES BASHFORD in San Francisco. The fabric is 70% WOOL & 30% CASHMERE and is VERY SOFT!! It is a beautiful weave in Black & Gray with Blue & Green lines running throughout. This jacket has been very gently worn. There is a little wear on the upper edge of the inside chest pocket...very minor and definitely not visible. There are no issues on the outside. It is in overall EXCELLENT CONDITION.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of db but db isn't dated by itself. Plenty of new db jackets

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I am a big fan of double breasted jackets, and I must say that one does seem a little dated to me. Nothing that couldn't be carried off by the right figure and character.

First off, the button stance just seems off. Low and too narrow. That's probably the biggest issue I can see.

Second, the pattern might date it a bit, but that's less of a concern.

Robert Goodell

Reaction score
By way of introduction, and in sincere humility as a newcomer, perhaps someone could advise which of the "better" lines (reference thread on rankings of makers) has models for taller men. I am 6'4", 220 lbs, and am best described as a 45 XL. In the last years it seems many lines have dropped those of us at the extremes.

Thanks,

RJG

John_Edward

Reaction score
Are there any shops in America which sell boating/tuxedo blazers (blazer with contrast trim round lapels, pockets, etc)? I've got one from Zara but I'd like one of nicer material. I'd like to find grey with black trim, blue with white, or any others which might look interesting. Here's sort of what I'm looking for:
m2911.jpg
Express is the only place where I've seen one I liked and was within my price range $300. Wasn't so into the one or two at Nordstroms. http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=71

mitchellmcm27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by incastoutcast
For both mitchellmcm27 and blah123 - Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Lands' End new Canvas line has two Allen Edmonds shoes (here: http://canvas.landsend.com/ix/canvas...tore=le&tab=17)

At a decent price, I would say. Also, mitchellmcm27 I've noticed that especially once you get around size 12, the deals on ebay get rediculously good, since most companies tend to over-produce large sizes.

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Those Land's End AEs look really sharp, and I'll definitely be checking out ebay. I've had my eye on these too, which popped up in the SWD sales alert thread.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...d-For-Men.html

With a 25% off coupon I think they might be hard to beat.

eglenn4

Reaction score
Just 2 Quick Questions-
1. Is there a suit out there made from sweat suit material or light fleece (Yoko Deveroux Fleece blazer with pants) and if so where can I find one.

2. How can find out what fashion choices really work for me. I experiment allot; looking for a style that I feel only looks good in magazines. I'm a slim guy with square features and I can't quite figure out how go out and buy the cool pieces I see online. I find myself in H&M (where nothing fits quite right) frustrated as all hell. Whats a guy to do?
musicboohoo[1].gif

incastoutcast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mitchellmcm27
Hey, thanks for the heads up. Those Land's End AEs look really sharp, and I'll definitely be checking out ebay. I've had my eye on these too, which popped up in the SWD sales alert thread.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...d-For-Men.html

With a 25% off coupon I think they might be hard to beat.

Those trickers do look nice. I'm not a huge fan of lug soles personally, but if you like them, that is hard to beat.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skrooler
How is the fit of this shirt on me? The top isn't buttoned because Im mainly worried about the sleeve length. Do sleeves need to be shorter at all or does it look good?
It's a Gap Fitted Perfect shirt in medium tall. (just trying to find a few cheap shirts for work).
I'm 6'4", 170 lbs, 15.5" neck, 39" chest, 34" waist, 35" sleeves or so...
CYgxol.jpg

looks like the collar is too smal, or you have a relatively large/thick neck, maybe sloped forward as well? which you'll find then that when the top button is open a lot of your shirt collars explode outward and curl up... if that's the case, then try slightly wider collars, lower second buttons (or leave the second button undone as well), or just go MTM and try to adjust for it.
For the sleeves, length maybe a tad long, but put your arms out in front of you zombie like... the sleeves should start to pull back past your wrists.

Originally Posted by viator
Just got a pair of these. They seem less causal than a penny loafer or moccasin style loafer. OK to wear with a suit, or is there a strict "No slip-ons with suits" rule? I live in the Northeast and I see a lot of well-dressed guys wearing this style of shoe with suits.
Pretty standard American styling to do that. sort of like a dressier boat shoe. I'd wear them with anything from jeans for a night out, to khakies or wool trousers (maybe slightly more casual ones, so something with a bold pattern). as for suits, mmmm, tough call. I'd say it's doable, but some thought needs to be put in. Probably better with more "casual" suits, say with lighter colors, or patterns.

Originally Posted by Britalian
recommend a PS for this suit, worn w/o a tie and a darkish shirt, usually blue toned
Personally I like a maroon with that.

Originally Posted by styleisfun
hi, this question is acctually about a piece of clothing for a woman. it's for my girlfriend, and i NEED to know anything about these gloves! i've only seen THESE pictures, of these gloves, and we both acctually fell in love with them, the brand is the great Jil Sander. (i LOVE Jil Sander, soo good!!) i've done research and checked soo much online, and i just can't find ANYTHING out about these gloves, anywhere for her. i'm guessing 07 fall? but i dont see anything, anywhere! i really need anybody's help, it'd be MUCH appreciated!! thank you!!
Originally Posted by binge
No one on this board has ever heard of Jil Sander before.
Yeah, try posting this Q on the SW&D ask a Q thread... they might have a better idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads