• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like you want a greycast. I would dilute some fabric dye like rit and give it a shot. Could definitely look cool and APCs would be a good jean to try it on.

edit: cool, I didn't read your link and that's what RGB and fok were talking about. May do this myself at some point.

Stokejeans

Reaction score
Hi all. Quick question.
As I was getting off a train today, I saw a bloke wearing some jeans that I really liked.
I couldn't really hold the queue up while I asked him where they were from, or I would have asked him.
I've searched loads of websites but can't find them.
So this forum is my last resort :)

They were not like any I've everseen before.
They had full length vertical panels, each about 2 inches (5 centimetres) wide.
At least 2 of the panels were a vintage wash denim, and the central panel, down the front, was brown corduroy, and the panels were sewn together with zig zag stitching.
I know its a massive long shot, but does anyone have the remotest idea what i'm talking about ?
If not, I might have to keep catching the same train until I find him - which could cost a fortune !

Flight Bird

Reaction score
Ok so my skinny jeans are a pair of 28W (I'm skinny) Good Society Indigo wash jeans. I'm very happy with them, esspecially because I got them for 40% off ($60). What would be the difference between black Nudie or Acne jeans and mine?

tampwn

Reaction score
Hi, i know its kinda shady just having this as my first post and all, but i promise to contribute later!!
idk too much about jeans, but i have a pair of apc petit standards and im pretty happy with them. im looking to find another pair of jeans with a similar fit or maybe with a fit like the nudie thin finns. Any price under $300 should be fine.

Thanks in advance!

tampwn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Proskaterpark
Nudies Thinn Finn's.
Just copped a pair last week, and I think the fit is really nice.
Not too pricey as well.

im actually looking for something other than thin finns, but with a similar fit. Alot of people at my school have them for some reason =/

KBW

Reaction score
Looking for black jeans (don't want black stitching or anything that is crazy skinny). Low rise to medium rise sub $300

Also looking for grey jeans sub $300. I was looking at grey W+H but I'm not sure I like the color by what I see online

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

turbozed

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinions here on the best 1947 repro pair of jeans? Sugar Cane 1947 or LVC 1947? I'm ready to pull trigger so if you can weigh in and provide reasons I'd appreciate it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
Ok so my skinny jeans are a pair of 28W (I'm skinny) Good Society Indigo wash jeans. I'm very happy with them, esspecially because I got them for 40% off ($60). What would be the difference between black Nudie or Acne jeans and mine?
Depends on the Nudie model. Acne's denim is no big deal but they do have several good cuts like the Max.
Originally Posted by KBW
Looking for black jeans (don't want black stitching or anything that is crazy skinny). Low rise to medium rise sub $300

Also looking for grey jeans sub $300. I was looking at grey W+H but I'm not sure I like the color by what I see online

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a general idea of what kind of fit you want? For sub $300, you might want to look into Spurr:
- http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-638...raw-black.aspx
- http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-639...g-in-grey.aspx

Rag & Bone used to make some killer black overdyes (rb9) but I haven't seen them in a few seasons. They're one of my favorite jeans.

Another good black overdye would be KZO although they are a bit skinny: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/KZO_...ack_12098.html

Originally Posted by turbozed
What's everyone's opinions here on the best 1947 repro pair of jeans[/size]?
Because the denim is different, as well as some of the details if I'm not mistaken, it's apples and oranges. Some argue that the SC 47 is truer to the original while some prefer the fit and use of Cone on the LVC.

dron10

Reaction score
I've had my RRLs for a month now and the creasing is really soft, I'm worried that the fades aren't going to have very noticeable contrast. I want to starch them but I'm not sure what method I should follow. Should I flip them inside out or just spray the starch on the outside?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dron10
I've had my RRLs for a month now and the creasing is really soft, I'm worried that the fades aren't going to have very noticeable contrast. I want to starch them but I'm not sure what method I should follow. Should I flip them inside out or just spray the starch on the outside?
What do you mean by the creasing is really soft? Do you mean that creases have not formed? It usually takes a couple of weeks (give or take) of daily wear to break in jeans. Give them time and harder wear. Starches require either washing or ironing, neither of which I'd recommend at this point.

Cheweh

Reaction score
I bought some raw selvage denim from the gap last year on sale for a pretty good price ($30). the color and the construction seem nice, the fit is a bit too loose for my liking.

is it advisable to take it to a tailor to get the legs slimmed down?

bcx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
Yeah, sounds like you want a greycast. I would dilute some fabric dye like rit and give it a shot. Could definitely look cool and APCs would be a good jean to try it on.

edit: cool, I didn't read your link and that's what RGB and fok were talking about. May do this myself at some point.

Do I just need the dye or do I have to deal with all this stuff with sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate?

Also, does anyone have measurements for those black Spurrs on Farinelli's? Alternatively, do Spurr Boot Rigids or Nudie Regular Alfs come in black/grey?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads