• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

nonissue

Reaction score
Mmm, my chest is a 42, but I'm thinking about ordering a small in the blue stripe chambray. 45 just seems wayyyy too big.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
Mmm, my chest is a 42, but I'm thinking about ordering a small in the blue stripe chambray. 45 just seems wayyyy too big.

Wouldn't a 3 inch difference between actual chest measurement and actual garment measurement make for a reasonably close fit? I think that someone in the thread said that 2-4 inches of allowance is usually what's called a slim cut. .5 inches of allowance seems rough for a garment that isn't spandex.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Wouldn't a 3 inch difference between actual chest measurement and actual garment measurement make for a reasonably close fit? I think that someone in the thread said that 2-4 inches of allowance is usually what's called a slim cut. .5 inches of allowance seems rough for a garment that isn't spandex.

yah, you're totally right. dunno what I was thinking. probably gonna order the blue stripe chambray tonight with free shipping.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
yah, you're totally right. dunno what I was thinking. probably gonna order the blue stripe chambray tonight with free shipping.
Just doing my part to spare SF some possibly disturbing fit pics.
smile.gif

I have a tailored fit LE OCBD and it isnt' at all tent-like. It's from the custom measurement program they have, but i think all you adjust is collar and sleeve length (then just choose the fit). It's not as slim as some people on the sight wear them, but it's not bad at all in my opinion. (I'm 6'2, 175 with a 40 in chest, 32 in waist and 16.5 in neck for reference). I'm not sure how LE stuff fits in the smaller sizes but it wasn't billowy at all in the mid range.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone with a 40" chest, I would expect size small to be too small in the neck and the sleeves.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
I have a small neck (15"), sleeves could be an issue though (need about 33"), but jcrew small sleeves are long enough for me.

in the first page, someone posted the measurements, and i'm pretty sure the sleeves are 33.75" on the small.

VikingsFan82

Reaction score
I'd like to see verified measurements on size small shirt too.

I picked up a Varsity Collar shirt from Lands' End (now discontinued) a couple months ago, and it was not very slim.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
As far as the customer service measurements provided for the size small and medium, they are almost exactly the same as the J Crew small and medium chambray measurements and the J Crew medium chambrays I own, measure the same as customer service provides. So if you're a small in J Crew, it looks like you should be the same in these.

nonissue

Reaction score
*******, I'm not placing an order. I don't need another somewhat-interesting but ill fitting shirt just because it's cheap. Saving my money on this one.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
wow - this stuff is interesting. I have always found that if you pick carefully, you can find some nice things on Lands End. I don't like everything here, but they have a few decent pieces.

And put me on the side of LE quality over J Crew. I don't always like LE styles, but their stuff lasts forever.

It's true that you can find some good stuff on LE. I found a great plaid workshirt last year with pen pocket and all. The construction was better than any shirt I've seen from J.crew. Too bad it's not available anymore because I lost some lbs and need to size down.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a chance on the white chambray shirt and the chinos. Thinking of the MacNeils, too. I'll report back when I get them.

I really like the sweatshirt featured in the articles, but I don't see it online yet. I wonder when the next rollout will be?

a-rock

Reaction score
Customer service told me we should see more in the Spring but that's it for Fall/Winter. Never roll into Sears but might just check it out next time I'm at the mall to see if there's more of the Canvas items in store.

kidkorea

Reaction score
In for a striped chambray. Medium in most things and went w/ a small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads