• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I just have a small bone structure and a ridiculous metabolism. I have no desire to work out or bulk up, I'm happy the way I am. Trying to become muscly would just make me look awkward.

FWIW, BB has a boys section where you can find stuff in your size. They'll happily tailor it for you.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have arms that are long enough for someone who is 5'9-5'10"? I've just started going MTM nowadays. And I dunno why everyone is so astounded at my size, at some shops I went to in Toronto all the guys working there were my size or slimmer, although shorter... But still.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have arms that are long enough for someone who is 5'9-5'10"? I've just started going MTM nowadays. And I dunno why everyone is so astounded at my size, at some shops I went to in Toronto all the guys working there were my size or slimmer, although shorter... But still.

What is your shirt sleeve size? 33-34"?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
just put jet on ignore the forum experience is immeasurably more enjoyable

you finally have a date set for the operation?

Originally Posted by srivats

I don't buy clothes at target for the same reasons you don't buy your suits/shoes there or at the mall.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your shirt sleeve size? 33-34"?

I'm not quite sure to be honest, I don't have any measuring tape with me right now but I need to borrow my friend's sewing kit to fix a button so I figure it out soon. Judging by size charts of shirts I own I'm guessing around 32-33"...

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I don't buy clothes at target for the same reasons you don't buy your suits/shoes there or at the mall.

Good analogy - I understand your point. Going by your line of though. I like and prefer to wear BB Black Fleece OCDBs. However, I also own and wear (Slim Fit) Hype Park oxfords shirts by Lands End. For the price I paid for each, they are both very good items. I am just trying to understand why people here at SW&D so particular about slim-fitting shirts ignore A&F's plaids/flannels this year when the fit/material is good and the price (on sale) is 2x lower than the other shirts popular here. I know that SF is more price conscious than that.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have a small bone structure and a ridiculous metabolism. I have no desire to work out or bulk up, I'm happy the way I am. Trying to become muscly would just make me look awkward.

LOL....you're right, you shouldn't work out if you're going to use the "word" muscly.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure to be honest, I don't have any measuring tape with me right now but I need to borrow my friend's sewing kit to fix a button so I figure it out soon. Judging by size charts of shirts I own I'm guessing around 32-33"...

Hmm ... I don't know if you can get that size in the boy's section. If you live in a place with a BB store, go talk to them - worth a try. Is Black Fleece BB0 too big for you?

DBoon

Reaction score
Good analogy - I understand your point. Going by your line of though. I like and prefer to wear BB Black Fleece OCDBs. However, I also own and wear (Slim Fit) Hype Park oxfords shirts by Lands End. For the price I paid for each, they are both very good items. I am just trying to understand why people here at SW&D so particular about slim-fitting shirts ignore A&F's plaids/flannels this year when the fit/material is good and the price (on sale) is 2x lower than the other shirts popular here. I know that SF is more price conscious than that.

MC members have an interest / willingness to spend / etc. on their suits because they spend a lot of time wearing such items.

Despite the perhaps inherent connotations of "sometimes", "relaxed" and "casual" one might apply to the SW+D subforum, the fact is that most of the regulars (at least seem to, to someone who isn't in their circle) wear this "casual clothing" the large majority of their time. Suit money without the suit. This is possible because these people are:
  • Students
  • Living off large allowances
  • Professionals employed in fields that do not require a suit and tie (non-office jobs, usually)

The above are the very type of people one would expect to have the "free time" required to care about their clothing...

...just as I'm sure MC veterans are particular about every detail of fit / construction etc., it is not unreasonable for them to eschew "above average, pretty good!" at an excellent price point in favor of something "perfect" at a stupidly high, $500+ for a down vest price point.

---

Jet is understandably annoyed that "threads like this" have a tendency to flood the SW+D front page, when he has long since abandoned the notion of finding "decent / acceptable" threads at a bargain price in favor of awesome stuff at a huge price. In fact, nearly all the long-term SW+D members have taken a similar stance. However, the number of people truly interested in a prospect like "RW knockoffs at AE" far outnumbers the regulars.

Maybe that means a subforum should be made for the large number of deal-seekers that flood the regulars' many-pages-long, mid-high tier brand threads in favor of flash-in-the-pan deals threads.

Maybe that means the regulars should have a subforum for their fewer in number threads/membership/etc.

But why should the regulars be forced out of their "home"? Do the affiliates make the most money when the floods of noobs see people posing in mid-high tier and decide to take the jump? These are things only J/Fok know...

in the meantime, know that the extra 5 ******* seconds it takes to bump the MMM/Dries/RO/whatever thread is not that big of a deal

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few items from Hollister. It's not all that bad, quality is actually pretty good for what I paid (all items bought on sale). That being said, I only wear the items to the gym / in the most casual of settings.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
But let's not kid ourselves - there are people on SF / sufu that look terrible in all mid-high tier brand gear, and there are people who look great in all bargain bin.
And vice-versa. How someone chooses to wear a piece isn't an indication of that piece's worth or "quality." Let's judge the clothes.

The "graduation" to high-end brands is more of an indication of devotion to the lifestyle, which implies a knowledge regarding fit, proportion, rules, etc...
That implication is a direct contradiction of what you just said about people looking terrible in high-end brands. Buying into more expensive brands could mean that the person simply wants something unique from what else is out there. It could mean they want something that will last. It could mean they have a fat bank account and limited knowledge of fashion. As you said before, it doesn't imply taste.

for people like yourself (whodini), jet, etc. to bash those who do not have that knowledge, willingness, or physical capital to dive in head first is pretty ******* marsupialed. There is no reason that they should'nt be able to revel in the possibility of a supposedly aesthetically pleasing, quality, well-fitting item that didn't cost $100 - $300+
When did I bash anyone in my statement? I said that for the most part we all start at the same spot and then either choose to be content in something cheap or they grow out of depending on it as a closet staple. I did, however, comment that it seemed ironic to stick to, as jet called it, "streetwear brands with training wheels" when spending enough time on here that fashion becomes a sort of hobby. Given the choice, the time, and even a limited bank account, I don't see why people would choose to limit themselves in something they're obviously interested in.

Just take a look in the thread of items people have "thrifted" for under $100. If I can find a RRL flannel on ebay for $60, why would I want to drop $40 on something in the lower tier? Why have hamburger when you could have steak?
I am just trying to understand why people here at SW&D so particular about slim-fitting shirts ignore A&F's plaids/flannels this year when the fit/material is good and the price (on sale) is 2x lower than the other shirts popular here. I know that SF is more price conscious than that.
Probably because a few on SW&D know how to bargain hunt and are not as nearly as desperate or impatient to buy.

stylewithease

Reaction score
Quick question... How do you guys remove the logos? I know you use a seam ripper but the logos are all stitched on so when you seam rip them you see part of a moose.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't they on the pockets? Just remove the pockets...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics