• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Patrician

Reaction score
Are there extra long sleeved slim-fit shirts at polo.com? I can't seem to find any...

And..

How long are RL's pants when marked 34 LONG? I would guess 34, but hoping for 36...

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going on a beach holiday and want some reading on mens fashion. which books from the stylenet amazon store are best to read for someone wanting to get some bespoke suits made in the next 6-12 months.

im looking for information on which cuts suit which body types, formality and ettiquette guides, colour and combinations etc

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
going on a beach holiday and want some reading on mens fashion. which books from the stylenet amazon store are best to read for someone wanting to get some bespoke suits made in the next 6-12 months.

im looking for information on which cuts suit which body types, formality and ettiquette guides, colour and combinations etc

Sorry holmes, but reading is a very poor substitute for trying things on. Which beach will you be holidaying in the winter?

mitchellmcm27

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've browsed SF for about 5 months, but mainly SWD. I've decided I want a pair of brown wingtips, and the more I look into shoe threads, the more overwhelmed I feel. I figured I'd be better off asking the experts. I would wear them very casually with slim jeans and chinos, button-down shirts, possibly shorts when it gets hot? Haven't really thought about that one much yet, but I live in Alabama and it gets effing hot. It was like 75 today.

I think they should look robust and manly. I actually like the general shape of J.Crew's wingtips, but I've read in SWD that the price:quality ratio is not good. I am a college student so I definitely don't need them to be to sleek or dressy. I never wear suits or dress up for anything.

That said, I have been looking at several options. Alden, Allen Edmonds, Florsheim, and Paul Smith; Alden being the absolute ceiling of my price range, and PS getting a little too "sleek". Are there any other shoemakers that offer quality shoes at these kinds of prices? I definitely don't mind paying for quality. I've been browsing the B&S forum, but bigger sizes (11-12) seem to be a bit rare around here.

I've read that suede usually works better casually, but honestly I think I like the look of regular leather more. Does anyone who wears wingtips with jeans have any thoughts? With a lot of these things, it's hard to judge without seeing them in person. Unfortunately I'm pretty much stuck ordering from the internet because I live in Alabama
confused.gif

A big thanks to anyone that helps out, and sorry for the length!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea about BR shoe quality, but it's likely on par with the quality of the rest of their clothing.

As for a brown cap-toe shoe, there are many makers with many variations. Browse through the "shoe pr0n" thread -- it will turn up in the top 5 or so pages of threads in this forum -- and you find more examples than you'd imagine.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
BR shoe quality is great if they are $20 or so, otherwise, terrible shoes that wont last more than two dozen of wears.

blah23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
No idea about BR shoe quality, but it's likely on par with the quality of the rest of their clothing. As for a brown cap-toe shoe, there are many makers with many variations. Browse through the "shoe pr0n" thread -- it will turn up in the top 5 or so pages of threads in this forum -- and you find more examples than you'd imagine.
Thanks for the quick reply Do you have any suggestions for more budget shoes? AE are around the most I can afford

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Sorry holmes, but reading is a very poor substitute for trying things on. Which beach will you be holidaying in the winter?

Maldives
smile.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blah23
Do you have any suggestions for more budget shoes? AE are around the most I can afford

So, your budget then is about $350?

If so, at full retail you probably won't find anything of similar quality/price ratio widely available at that retail price. Shop the sales, such as the frequent sales at Brooks Brothers (including their website) and Ralph Lauren and you'll often find their better-made shoes, which retail for ~$500 at about 1/2 price or so. Of course, sale shopping is hit-or-miss.

Otherwise, you can always substitute cash for time+effort by looking for bargains elsewhere, such as Nordstrom Rack, DSW, etc. where you may find decent-quality shoes at steep discount. The hit-or-miss factor goes up however.

There's always the SF Buying and Selling forum. Bigtime hit-or-miss. You'll also likely be tempted to buy a shoe at a big discount just because the deal seems so good; but also very likely that you've never tried that shoe on before so it's a big gamble as to whether it will fit or not.

Sadly, I can't simply point you to a secret squirrel location to buy all the best shoes in your size at a super awesome price. You either pay retail, or you spend a lot of time and effort looking for a deal.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
Maldives
smile.gif

Have fun! And don't waste your time reading about men's fashion. Plenty of otherwise boring-ass time at work to do that when you get home.

bartol1230

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was reading through the forums and have seen some nice advices etc.
And now I have a question of my own.
I'm 6.1 feet tall and rather skinny person which gives me a problem of choosing the right size for t-shirts, polos etc., sometimes L fits just OK but more often XL is just fine and L is too short, although every now and then XL is too baggy, or it becomes too baggy after a lot of use.
It all depends from brand to brand. So, I would really like to order one of the Original Penguin polos from their official website but as I live in Europe, I'm in no position to go to one of their stores to find out which size fits me best.
So I would really appreciate an advice from someone who's physique is similar to mine or who's familiar and well-acquainted with how Penguin polos fit.
Thank you.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recommend a PS for this suit, worn w/o a tie and a darkish shirt, usually blue toned

sain't

Reaction score
does someone know a nice site for clothes? not too expensive, and I'm in the Netherlands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics