• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know they are a "mall brand" yadda yadda yadda ...

I got a couple of their buttondown shirts on sale - their button down shirts are very slim fitting, and are made pretty well for $40 (on sale). The buttons are thick and shanked, the armholes are high, the sleeves are slim and the body length is fine for wearing tucked or untucked.

They have quite a few plaid patterns this year and pretty good looking flannels this fall. I just don't get the hate for A&F here. I hate their logo'd shirt and would never buy them, but the button down shirts are pretty good imo.

Has anyone tried A&F shirts recently?

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMFG finally i am vindicated. i have been touting the cheapness/goodness of AnF compared to the midtier brands favored on SF since i got on this board, and finally someone else realizes the value they are. everything is great in terms of fabric and construction, i dont like the logo in most cases, so basically everything nonlogo'd from ANF/Ruehl is pretty good. also the sales are deeeeeep... think like $20 bucks for a button up in late jan

fit is verryy slim, by "muscle fit" it means it can help people with a bit of muscle look much more muscular than they actually are, but for the skinny dudes on SF you will still look skinny

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the stuff is great but i'll be damned if i'm going to walk into an A&F store. Places are awful.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
The sleeves are disproportionately long, most of the shirts have canvas labels stitched at the hem or the moose embroidery on the breast, and they have silly flourishes that needlessly jack up the price such as contrast-colored neck taping and huge ass canvas labels on the interior which are visible from the back of the shirt.

But my biggest gripe w/ them are the super long sleeves.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually bought two of their flannels and two of their plaids this fall, and have to say, they're doing those particular shirts quite well. They're well constructed and the cotton is soft and thick. Some of the colorways are horrid, yet some are awesome IMO. Of course, I'd never buy anything with the moose logo, and I also removed the tag on the bottom of the hem.

On a side note, their customer service is ******* horrible, beyond belief. I've had girls go to look for a shirt for me out back, only to stop and chat with their friends for ten minutes, then see me and say "oops...I forgot!". Another time, I returned a shirt and the guy started to process the return, then proceeded to go into a texting frenzy on his Blackberry and then just wander off. It's an adventure going in there.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to hop on this boat...

I have lanky arms so the sleeves wouldn't be an issue

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
The sleeves are disproportionately long, most of the shirts have canvas labels stitched at the hem or the moose embroidery on the breast, and they have silly flourishes that needlessly jack up the price such as contrast-colored neck taping and huge ass canvas labels on the interior which are visible from the back of the shirt.

But my biggest gripe w/ them are the super long sleeves.

I agree, but they're strictly "roll up" sleeve type shirts for me.

blynch

Reaction score
I walked into A&F last time I was in the mall, I noticed button downs/flannels looked ok but were $70+. I didn't find the sale section because the perfume was giving me a headache and I had to dart out of there quick. If there store wasn't pitch black and obnoxious smelling I would try it again, but as is I won't be back.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually always have found the SA's there to be nice and helpful.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I actually wore my friend's A&F l/s shirt as part of my Halloween costume and was impressed that it didn't fit me as poorly as I had imagined.

However the image that A&F projects is something I do not wish to be associated with. The trashy house music and cologne that hits your senses just by walking in the vicinity of the store to me is repulsive. A lot of the time I see douchey looking guys in there with the typical polo shirt, cargos and flip-flops ensemble. A&F attracts these type of people and they're more than happy to cater to them by selling them the things they expect to find there. I personally feel I am better than that (yeah, I said it) and don't believe A&F offers the things I want, nor would I be comfortable shopping in their store if they did.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
On a side note, their customer service is ******* horrible, beyond belief. I've had girls go to look for a shirt for me out back, only to stop and chat with their friends for ten minutes, then see me and say "oops...I forgot!". Another time, I returned a shirt and the guy started to process the return, then proceeded to go into a texting frenzy on his Blackberry and then just wander off. It's an adventure going in there.
They're probably high school kids working for minimum wage, you can't expect too much..

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the store is awful, but the plaid/flannels this fall have been very good.

But honestly, since when are judging merchandise by the quality of the sales associates? Most of them there are kids anyway ... the website has much better deals most of the time. I won't buy anything at full price, but when the sale hits, the shirts are good value.

If you tell me these shirts are bad, I don't know what to say:

27315_02_d.jpg
27315_01_d.jpg
27315_04_d.jpg

28126_04_d.jpg
27966_03_d.jpg
27645_02_d.jpg

The sleeves are a bit long, but not by much. Since I wear these shirts rolled up it is not an issue anyway.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
I walked into A&F last time I was in the mall, I noticed button downs/flannels looked ok but were $70+. I didn't find the sale section because the perfume was giving me a headache and I had to dart out of there quick. If there store wasn't pitch black and obnoxious smelling I would try it again, but as is I won't be back.
I just wear a gauze mask and a miner's flashlight on my head. If anyone asks, the mask is to fend off H1N1.
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I've actually always have found the SA's there to be nice and helpful.
Most of the girls are hot too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads