• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Care for Lambskin Leather Jacket?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
To be honest, the after pictures don't look bad at all. I preferred the original, but it still looks good.

Well I'm hoping that over time, the uneveness in the finish will wear down.

Right now it looks really "blotchy" so I applied some dabs of lexol to the spots where I must have missed during the initial application.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Why did you feel compelled to put neatsfoot oil on a brand new jacket? I thought a leather conditioner is to put moisture in to dried leather.

On every pair of suede shoes I own, I have treated them with a spray protectant. It does not darken the leather.

Andrew Marc offers a TLC leather kit, which includes a Rain & Stain protector.

It's not too late now to protect the coat against rain and stains.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Related question. How do you prevent a hanger from distorting a leather jacket? I have some older leather jackets and over time they assumed the shape of the hanger, leaving a hump on the shoulder. Is the solution as simple as insuring that you have a proper size hanger? Or do people store their jackets without using hangars?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Why did you feel compelled to put neatsfoot oil on a brand new jacket? I thought a leather conditioner is to put moisture in to dried leather.

Yes it is new but there's no telling how long it was in a store prior to purchase. My guess is at least a year if not more. From what I've read, a leather jacket should be conditioned once per year.

I've also been looking for a quality rain protectant that is safe for lambskin leather but haven't found one yet.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Related question. How do you prevent a hanger from distorting a leather jacket? I have some older leather jackets and over time they assumed the shape of the hanger, leaving a hump on the shoulder. Is the solution as simple as insuring that you have a proper size hanger? Or do people store their jackets without using hangars?
I solved this problem by throwing my jacket on the floor and forgetting about it until I wear it next time. So far worked out well. Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the pictures, it doesn't look that bad. I'd wear that.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by l8p2
It looks as if JL's marble finish...

Yeah, it looks like my JLs in museum calf. I wouldn't have conditioned it for at least a year, though.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I solved this problem by throwing my jacket on the floor and forgetting about it until I wear it next time. So far worked out well.

Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

Well I would rather have scuffs from the floor than the frigging shoulder bumps from a hanger. Someone posted an eBay leather jacket a while back with the bumps and asked what he could do about it. He was SOL. It looked ridiculous.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a leather jacket, you just wear it. Not everything has to be pristine and conditioned...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Also it's a leather jacket. Stop babying it and trash it so it will actually look good.

It's not a 1950s Bucco horsehide moto jacket, it's an RLPL and already looks good out of the box.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks fine, in the future you should stop worrying soo much.

If you get a hanger with wide shoulders that should solve the problem, much like it does for sportcoats and suits.

Doctor

Reaction score
I decided to bump this thread instead of creating a new one to see if I can get a response.

I have this exact leather jacket and am unsure about the proper care for it. I'm not too bothered about a leather conditioner etc - I am bothered about water.

I have been very careful not to get it wet thus far, but is there any way I can waterproof it such that it can be worn in the rain? Of course I don't intend to get drenched, but I live in a part of the world where the only time the temps are actually low is when it's windy and raining somewhat, so if I wear it out at such times, a bit of water will inevitably get on it. Am I right to be avoiding such occurances?

Bear in mind the leather on this thing is like butter. Really, really soft and delicate.

jblazing

Reaction score
It looks great in the pics and no damage is apparent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads