• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes from Savile Row Co?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those shoes are not English-made. The leather soles are Blake-stitched
msh707tan_a_p.jpg

and the Dainite-type sole is cemented not stitched.

The shoes might be reasonably good value, but they are neither Loake or AS.
They will have been made in southern Europe (if not further afield)

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Those shoes are not English-made. The leather soles are Blake-stitched
msh707tan_a_p.jpg

and the Dainite-type sole is cemented not stitched.

The shoes might be reasonably good value, but they are neither Loake or AS.
They will have been made in southern Europe (if not further afield)

I think these might be John White.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're probably right about John White:
http://www.johnwhiteshoes.com/index.htm

They are the only "English" firm that does not use Goodyear welted. I believe the original firm was sold a number of years ago.

The John White range of shoes are handmade to an extremely high standard using the finest leathers, materials and craftsmanship.
The shoes are now sold in the best stores around the world.
Despite the advertising, John White is about the lowest (and cheapest) range of shoes, which might, or might not be made in the UK.

Go for either Barker, Loake, Sanders or Cheaney: they are all welted shoes.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Despite the advertising, John White is about the lowest (and cheapest) range of shoes, which might, or might not be made in the UK.

Agreed.

I once made a terrible mistake in purchasing a pair. The uppers were plasticy in the extreme and wet feet were guaranteed when it rained. I quite literally 'disposed' of them.

Good riddance to absolute rubbish.

Something of a shame that White are associated with such low quality products nowadays. Didn't they make boots for troopers in the British army circa 1940's?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
Didn't they make boots for troopers in the British army circa 1940's?
I suppose all shoe manufactures did put in their share, to help the war effort.

Thanks to our friend 'centipede' here is a pair of 1960s John White traditional country shoes:
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/johnwhite.html

Originally Posted by jjl5000
I once made a terrible mistake in purchasing a pair.

How long it it take you, to graduate from John White to EG or G&G?

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
Because of reading too much this forum and aaac I ordered online already 3 pairs of Loake (CT and herringshoes), 2 Alfred Sargents, 1 C&J Tavistock and 1 Bally in the last 3 months. I would not go down for quality and should stop my impulse buying
smile.gif

Friedrich

Reaction score
As far as their clothes are concerned, Savile Row Co is certainly far away from being a high-end retailer. Go for any other Jermyn Street name and you'll find a better quality in shirts. So the odds are good that this applies to their shoes, too.

jjl5000

Reaction score
How long it it take you, to graduate from John White to EG or G&G?

Haha. I thought I might be giving too much away by revealing past mistakes. I fear my shoe pedigree is definitely sub par.

I can honestly say that I already had a small collection of shoes prior to SF / AAAC. In the main, Church's, Cheaney & Loake were the order of the day. I had never heard of Edward Green or Lobb but I'm sure grateful to the membership for the enlightenment.

To answer your question, I have spent the last 18 months rebuilding my collection, which is still a work in progress.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just going to say in defence of John White, yeah their stuff is kind of crappy but I got a pair of John white Chelseas on a daninite sole for about £60 new, wore them for three years, for two years I wore them almost every day, walked around a lot including in some really ****** weather they held up fine, and still look ok, if a little battered.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rubbishtheory
Grenson are also very very good English shoes & boots - all made here.

Not quite

natd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Just going to say in defence of John White, yeah their stuff is kind of crappy but I got a pair of John white Chelseas on a daninite sole for about £60 new, wore them for three years, for two years I wore them almost every day, walked around a lot including in some really ****** weather they held up fine, and still look ok, if a little battered.
Equally, I found this forum while looking for information on John White after buying a pair in 1999, wearing them close to 5 days a week for 10 years (re-soleing 3 or 4 times) and deciding they are my best shoes ever - still in great condition. I'm not a shoe connoisseur (bought them on sight in a dept store in Sydney) but feel it's time for something new and am desperately trying to avoid all the pointy designs - the John Whites were quite square and stumpy which appealed to me. I am drawn to Barkers, my father and grandfather swore by them, but gather I should be looking a Loake etc too. I don't want to buy online as I want them soon and do want to try on. Can anyone recommend a helpful and reasonably good value reseller of these and other quality shoes in Sydney?

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Le Chameau do the "York" brogue (RRP £95) which is Blake stitched. Waste of money. Their huntin' and shootin' boots are £200 +

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by natd
Equally, I found this forum while looking for information on John White after buying a pair in 1999, wearing them close to 5 days a week for 10 years (re-soleing 3 or 4 times) and deciding they are my best shoes ever - still in great condition.

I'm not a shoe connoisseur (bought them on sight in a dept store in Sydney) but feel it's time for something new and am desperately trying to avoid all the pointy designs - the John Whites were quite square and stumpy which appealed to me.

I am drawn to Barkers, my father and grandfather swore by them, but gather I should be looking a Loake etc too. I don't want to buy online as I want them soon and do want to try on. Can anyone recommend a helpful and reasonably good value reseller of these and other quality shoes in Sydney?

You'll find nothing in Sydney worth buying I'm afraid unless you want to pay $470 for loake's or $900 for Church's, with only a few styles to choose from. Go try them on at Joseph's or DJ's, then buy them from www.pediwear.co.uk and save yourself half the cost. Shipping time is less than a week to Aus normally so you don't need to wait long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads