• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

blynch

Reaction score
42.5" seems a little bigger than jcrew small, but I definately wouldn't call jcrew a slim S. Its more like a slim Medium if you get jcrew small. I guess these should be pretty similar size wise as jcrew, tent-like unless sized down.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
42.5" seems a little bigger than jcrew small, but I definately wouldn't call jcrew a slim S. Its more like a slim Medium if you get jcrew small. I guess these should be pretty similar size wise as jcrew, tent-like unless sized down.

+1

and they claim their small should fit a 34-36...so even giving an allowance of 4 the small should measure at the absolute most 38-40 (and personally I think 4 inches more than chest measurement would be a reg fit not a slim). So 42 would be pretty damn baggy, if not drowning-in-shirt status for someone who's actually a 34-36

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
For Jcrew my 39" chest fits their S fine. Generally a trim cut is considered about 2" to 4" of allowance. So a 42.5" chest on slim S sounds about right. A bit on more allowance but definitely not tent-like.
Chest sizes seems a little big but they can always be taken in. What about the shoulders? 17.5" seems too small to be able to size down. Edit: I emailed them and they said 17.5" shoulders for small and 18.5" for med.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no way I am gonna take a $20 shirt to a tailor.

I am betting that S cannot measure 42 inches. that has to be wrong

I will report back when I receive them

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
At 42.5" for SMALL OCBD? Seriously? That'd be a full 10" of extra fabric around my chest. How do people wear this stuff ???
Not to be a dick, but is that even possible? Are you 8?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Sure, but isn't ~39" chest standard for slim/fitted/tailored/buzzword smalls? Not that i can wear that either, just voicing my shock.
Not standard for big retailers. A 39" chest in RTW would be slim fitting for a 35"-37" chest. A two inch allowance will be form fitting & you'd be lucky if it looked right in RTW. A standard RTW "slim fit" small, if small is 34/36 or 35/37 (as at LE), is going to be 42-43 inches (=37 plus five or six). 41 would be pushing it; dude would have to be truly fit to look right in it. Most of the LE customer base is >25 yo and probably 75% of these guys have pot bellies if they are not downright obese. You don't make a RTW slim-fit shirt with a two-inch chest allowance and a straight to tapered body and expect to sell them to these people. They would not be able to button them at the gut. FWIW Brooks Brothers does about +5" in the chest for their Slim Fit shirts. And LE defines a small as someone with a 35"-37" chest (see their size chart). LE is probably going after the BB customer, the 40-year-old who thinks he's slim because he's not obese. But really he's no Michaelangelo's David in the shower. Bottom line is these slim fit cuts probably are slim in the big picture but they are not going to be slim like the shirts from SW&D-approved boutiques. This is Lands' End; their **** is going to be middle-of-the-road. A 32" chest would be a Boys' size 16, right? That's an L in the Boys' department. You'd have Boys XL between the L and Mens' Small. A 32" chest might not even be Mens' X-Small. If I had a 32" chest and wanted slim-fitting shirts, I'd look at size 14 and size 16 shirts. LE makes a 14 slim and a 16 slim. The 16 slim chest is probably 38." Good luck finding your shirts man.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not make this thread about my chest.

saelan

Reaction score
i'm waiting to hear about fit from people who ordered. if the small is what it looks like, i'm out of luck.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
wow, great coupon thanks for sharing that. I'm glad I held off ordering.

Now, to decide if I wan't the MacNeils or not. $243.75 is a pretty good price but I know the black is corrected grain leather...not sure about the new brown ones though. I saw the new brown color at the outlet store a few weeks ago and it looked pretty good but I didn't look too closely as they didn't have my size.

That's a fair price for the MacNeil. I had a pair, it's a pretty solid shoe and the leather's pretty good. That's exactly where their retail price should be - about twice as much as Florsheim and half as much as Alden.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any word from anyone who ordered the shirts? I'm interested but skeptical at the same time

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
any word from anyone who ordered the shirts? I'm interested but skeptical at the same time
might as well order a few things with the 20% and free shipping code and see for yourself. It expires tomorrow, so by time others get their stuff you will have to pay more. Zero risk as you can just return at Sears and get 100% of your money back.

saelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
might as well order a few things with the 20% and free shipping code and see for yourself. It expires tomorrow, so by time others get their stuff you will have to pay more. Zero risk as you can just return at Sears and get 100% of your money back.

sensible logic, but i doubt the sears-return works for canadians like myself.

nonissue

Reaction score
I think it might Saelan. It's worth calling and asking.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grabbed the khaki chambray in a medium. Figure there's not too much risk in it and for 26 bucks it's a steal if it turns out to be worth it.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
I think it might Saelan. It's worth calling and asking.

The receipt for my last order said you had to mail it back to Niagara Falls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads