• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donegal recommendation for suit

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Donegal suiting cloth? Looking for a light gray or maybe light brown. Are all Donegals for suits worsted or do they also come in woolen?

Is P&H Thornproof just for jackets?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I want one of these too, and so far the best bets look like Scabal or H&S.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I want to make a pair of donegal trousers to turn my donegal jacket into a suit, but I imagine P&H Thornproof would make terrible trousers.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I want one of these too, and so far the best bets look like Scabal or H&S.

Agreed. I looked at this too and couldn't find anything better than these two options. If you can visit W. Bill or another fabric supplier you might chance across an odd lot that works, though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What's in the W. Bill books is all hand-loomed single-width stuff that would make terrible trousers. T4 swears to me that there are some hand-mades that can work as trousers but I have never seen them.

The Scabal and H&S suiting donegals are machine loomed, and they look very "regular" compared to the hand loomed, also the dot pattern is a lot smaller.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the picture of Shannon Hill from the Sartorialist is a great example

he told me it was done in Scabal Cheviot & Donegal book. Cloth number 12724

Soph_brownsuit.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The Scabal and H&S suiting donegals are machine loomed, and they look very "regular" compared to the hand loomed, also the dot pattern is a lot smaller.

I looked through these books last time and recall having this impression. The "grain" was finer, more even and less pronounced than I'd hoped. And none of the colors were in the lighter family I wanted. But, I might go for it anyhow. Maybe more of a mid-gray.

I have to stick with what the tailor carries, but I think they have all the Harrisons, H&S, Scabal, Minnis and Hardy books. I think they can get Porter Harding, too. I just wondered out of these which would work best for a suit.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked those Donegal trousers Whnay. recently received from Ambrosi.

Originally Posted by NorCal_1
Soph_brownsuit.jpg

He looks like the guy Betty Draper is running off with.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I looked through these books last time and recall having this impression. The "grain" was finer, more even and less pronounced than I'd hoped. And none of the colors were in the lighter family I wanted. But, I might go for it anyhow. Maybe more of a mid-gray. I have to stick with what the tailor carries, but I think they have all the Harrisons, H&S, Scabal, Minnis and Hardy books. I think they can get Porter Harding, too. I just wondered out of these which would work best for a suit.
The Porter and Harding Donegals come in two wights and are specially set (woven) for suits. W. Bill makes (made?) a Donegal book that is quite "hairy" but not suitable for suits
smile.gif

rrosals

Reaction score
What trouser configuration are you thinking for the suit? I also have a donegal coat which I am thinking of converting to a suit but I am not sure it will look right without a vest.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I looked through these books last time and recall having this impression. The "grain" was finer, more even and less pronounced than I'd hoped. And none of the colors were in the lighter family I wanted. But, I might go for it anyhow. Maybe more of a mid-gray.

I have to stick with what the tailor carries, but I think they have all the Harrisons, H&S, Scabal, Minnis and Hardy books. I think they can get Porter Harding, too. I just wondered out of these which would work best for a suit.

I can't comment on the P&H tweeds (mine are all stacked back in my closet in unfinished condition) but I second the idea of going with Scabal's offerings. As has already been said, their stuff is not as rough and sporty as others but can hold a trouser crease quite well.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I checked out the Scabal, P&H and W. Bill swatches yesterday. The tailor said any could be made into a suit including the W. Bill stuff, which I really liked. Nice and chunky (I think it's 13+ oz) and it has the color I am after: light gray (which is really black/white with colored flecks). So, I might go with that. Haven't placed the order yet, though. Would anyone still advise against this in a suit (trousers)?

Side question: Which pocket configuration would you choose for a Donegal suit?
ps. I might want to wear the jacket as a separate once in a while.

3 patch
2 patch with welt
2 flap with welt

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads