• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I'm thinking a little of column A, little of column B.

What'd they do, try to give your kids vaccines??

oh gosh, no they were just bashing military, calling me out for being a vet, acting elite because they have all the expensive track wheels, etc..

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find a picture of my bike but Ill just post these.

Various photos from the years

IMG_0669copycopy.jpg

IMG_0697copycopy.jpg

IMG_8919.jpg

P8271967.jpg

kentbmx.jpg

woodenrail.jpg

kentrailhop.jpg

kblakely_invert_shott.jpg

One time when ******** my face up
n2522866_35232993_5535.jpg

n2523779_34997180_4356.jpg

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or maybe this:
marinhamilton29er.jpg
Can pick up for very cheap, and it's one of those 29er/700cc hybrids.. but still trail-tough

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
couple of friends of mine have converted to rigid forked 29ers and swear by their 'fun factor', one got a Karate Monkey
Surly-Karate-Monkey.jpg
and the other got a Niner
Niner-one9.jpg
and placed in their new carbon rigid fork... have used it on the trail a few times and they seem to hold up well.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the biggest problem that I had with my old langster was that it felt slightly fragile and ergos were all screwed up and too hardcore for me.. very punishing ride for the city as well..

I want something quick and nimble enough, but still tough and simple.. I love getting a little jump here and here, or being able to pass someone on a gravel shortcut or whatever.. One of those tougher "urban" hybrids seems more realistic..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
couple of friends of mine have converted to rigid forked 29ers and swear by their 'fun factor', one got a Karate Monkey
Surly-Karate-Monkey.jpg

and the other got a Niner
Niner-one9.jpg

and placed in their new carbon rigid fork... have used it on the trail a few times and they seem to hold up well.

both of those are singlespeeds.. how are those when it comes to that? good choice with a 29er?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
More idle curiosity than anything: does anyone have experience with solid rubber tires? In the abstract, the idea of not having to deal with inflation, flats, etc. has some appeal. I understand that the ride is worse than with properly inflated "real" tires, but I'm curious if it's more akin to having slightly underinflated tires, or more like burlap sacks of fresh dog crap strapped to your rims. In other words, how much worse is worse -- from the perspective of a general exercise and tool-around-town city rider, not a competitive road racer.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
both of those are singlespeeds.. how are those when it comes to that? good choice with a 29er?

both are 29ers... granted they were only used on single tracks but both of them swear by how 'fun' it was to ride them... didn't have the chance to try them out though.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or maybe this:

marinhamilton29er.jpg

Can pick up for very cheap, and it's one of those 29er/700cc hybrids.. but still trail-tough

better, the truvati crank is decent and will last you years, and i like the versatility of the 29er/700c that's what my last one did as well. check out the motobecane jury

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid rubber? god no.
+1. Unless you can stand to be seen with a suspended seatpost -- but even then, your wrists will still take a beating. If my apartment has space for a third bike, I so want a steel SS with a straight bar to dick around in.
drool.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
finally completed my Ibis Mojo SL, Fox Float R fork, XTR set up save for the Race Face carbon crank and Formula F1 brakes... one thing I didn't know though is XTR shifters do not have gear indicators like XTs does and I'm finding it hard to adapt to this...
frown.gif
but the Mojo SL is a fantastic bike indeed.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kent is that a 20 or 24? I just ordered a We the People Avenue 24" which is more a scaled-up BMX than a cruiser, which is what I wanted. Just bought my son a mirra co. fivestar option.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20" Good call on We The People. It's been a while since I've been hardcore into the whole BMX thing but they made quality frames when I was deep into BMX. Like you said, cruisers are usually 24" but it seems like you got more of a scaled up freestyle frame, rather than a race frame which is what a cruiser is. Haha, Dave Mirra is the man. His entry level bikes should be just fine for your kid. Motivate him to get into it, BMX has made me the man I am today
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads