• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

seany

Reaction score
I def sit a lot, school for a few hours and bus ride back and forth.

Thats what I figured, I heard that indigo gets "loose" or something over time. I just didn't know that constant bending of the knees would do that.

Thanks Arms !

tightandbright

Reaction score
So, I'm 180cm (5'11) and weigh 130 lbs. Now, I've been wearing skinny jeans for almost a year now and I realized most of my jeans suck. Like 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Levis 510 (28x32) online and realized they were super ugly. I'm looking for skinny jeans that are tight on the thighs and not tapered. I don't know if such a thing exists but every time I see other guys in skinny jeans, they have like the perfect fit. When I wear skinny jeans, my thighs look big even though I have thin thighs. I was wondering if there is a certain store where I can find skinny jeans that aren't super skinny on the leg but not wide on the thighs. I also have a pair of Levis 511 (29x32) and that's by far the best fit, but its baggy on the thighs and legs. I couldn't find them in waist 28... Anyways help would be really appreciated and also I don't mind wearing girl jeans, soooo... Anything goes as long as I get the perfect fit .
I live in Canada BC, and I do most of my shopping at Urban Outfitters or Levi's. I heard that Cheap Monday skinnies are really good, but the problem is I NEVER SEE THEM in the downtown Urban Outfitters. Do they like ship it only in the US or something??? I want to buy them online but I don't feel like wasting more money on jeans that I might not like. Is there like another place where I can buy Cheap Mondays in Canada BC???

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
Yeah, go for it. generally, stacking and cuffs looks bad. If you're 5'6" maybe go to 30" for some stacking. What's your actual inseam?

PBJ 005-BK, Skull 5010BK. I think the PBJ's are more tapered, but you can check the measurements at Blue in Green or Selfedge, respectively.

Both are excellent suggestions. My rec. is to try the Skull first. The PBJs are very slubby (not appealing to some but I love it). The PBJs also seem less tapered, since (on mine) the knee and leg opening are both 7.75" after shrink. The Skulls are 8" down to 7". This gives the skull a more tapered fit, while the PBJ seem more like a straight leg.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
P0911100401482.jpg

P0911100401573.jpg

^ those look friggin' awesome on you. I'd hem an inch off and keep the cuff at the length you have it. You can always reduce the cuff, but as it is now, even before creasing of the stacks and/or stretch, I think you have too much material between the knee and ankle. IMO...

Originally Posted by seany
Quick question from new raw jean owner.

Will I get fades on my knees over time even if I spent very little time acutally on my knees ?

My back pocket(wallet), and crotch are slowly getting fades.

^ debatable. Like mentioned, I think you'll see more on the thigh and lap, unless you actually abrade them. You'll probably see something more like this:

660_208_ft.jpg

Originally Posted by tightandbright
So, I'm 180cm (5'11) and weigh 130 lbs. Now, I've been wearing skinny jeans for almost a year now and I realized most of my jeans suck. Like 2 weeks ago I bought a pair of Levis 510 (28x32) online and realized they were super ugly. I'm looking for skinny jeans that are tight on the thighs and not tapered. I don't know if such a thing exists but every time I see other guys in skinny jeans, they have like the perfect fit. When I wear skinny jeans, my thighs look big even though I have thin thighs. I was wondering if there is a certain store where I can find skinny jeans that aren't super skinny on the leg but not wide on the thighs. I also have a pair of Levis 511 (29x32) and that's by far the best fit, but its baggy on the thighs and legs. I couldn't find them in waist 28... Anyways help would be really appreciated and also I don't mind wearing girl jeans, soooo... Anything goes as long as I get the perfect fit .
I live in Canada BC, and I do most of my shopping at Urban Outfitters or Levi's. I heard that Cheap Monday skinnies are really good, but the problem is I NEVER SEE THEM in the downtown Urban Outfitters. Do they like ship it only in the US or something??? I want to buy them online but I don't feel like wasting more money on jeans that I might not like. Is there like another place where I can buy Cheap Mondays in Canada BC???

Screw Cheap Mondays, brother. What you need is a real man's man slim/skinny jean. Get a pair of the Skull 5010. I have a pair, and they're the perfect balance for a really slim jean. Enough material at the thigh and calf/leg opening so they're not 'painted on' at all. I can almost promise they'll seem like a 'normal' fit with legs as skinny as yours (my thighs are only 19" dia.). Seriously. Spend the money and end your discontentment. They're a modern fit without any bullshit. Good denim too. They'll fit pretty much like c00kz jeans above, but will probably drape more like a 'normal' fit on you.

(Blue in Green and Self Edge sell these - stock expected in a few weeks. Both may ship to Canada via USPS).

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Can I get my F380's tapered in at a tailor from the bottom thigh down to hem to resemble 05BSP's??

Dmash - I just bought the perfect jeans for you. They're a 'slim' retro/repro fit of the 1966 cut.

Evisu #2000 Lot 1:

evisu_2000_ft_web.jpg

Great classic flare at the thigh, tapers down to a 7.5" leg opening. not too much material below the knee, snug top block designed for guys with trim hips, but enough room for muscular thighs like yours, perfect taper so you wont be tight on top with too much below the knee. Details are out of this world good. Def. worth the price. Not my usual cut, but these shrunk down to amazing proportions (fit chart doesn't reflect this cut or the shrinkage at all).

Post soak on a 31w:

Rise 10.25
UTh: 11.25
Kn: 8.25
L.o.: 7.5

Talk to Gordon at Blue in Green about these.

The Day Man

Reaction score
Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone knew of any department stores in NYC that are worth checking out for denim? I know places like Self Edge would normally be the place to go but I am cashing in a ton of Amex reward points and I can get gift cards to Saks, Bloomingdales, or Neiman Marcus if I wanted. The web sites only have the typical True Religion type stuff but I thought maybe the actual stores had something else to offer.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Barney's has DH, N&F, Nudie, Spurr, and RRL not sure about others. I would use it on something other than jeans personally

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the RRL thread, but I'll post it hear as well:

Does anyone know what RRL "Stretch Selvage" is?

I wonder if it's an older version of the Slim Fit....

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Day Man
Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone knew of any department stores in NYC that are worth checking out for denim? I know places like Self Edge would normally be the place to go but I am cashing in a ton of Amex reward points and I can get gift cards to Saks, Bloomingdales, or Neiman Marcus if I wanted. The web sites only have the typical True Religion type stuff but I thought maybe the actual stores had something else to offer.

KitAkira's right- spend it on sonething else - don't waste your money on denim there when they have soe great names for other, better things. You're in the heart of denim land. Go down to SelfEdge, BiG and Jean Shop in Soho and get real denim.

Originally Posted by Trapp
I posted this in the RRL thread, but I'll post it hear as well:

Does anyone know what RRL "Stretch Selvage" is?

I wonder if it's an older version of the Slim Fit....

If that's what I think it means (denim with Lycra = stretch) then that's a perfectly example of the heinous travesties selvedge denim can be subjected to. RRL or not. Probably a slim fit for fat people with no patience.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
If that's what I think it means (denim with Lycra = stretch) then that's a perfectly example of the heinous travesties selvedge denim can be subjected to. RRL or not. Probably a slim fit for fat people with no patience.

ha! well said.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my thigh is 24", what thigh measurement should I be looking for in my raw jeans?

is 12" too low?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of fit you're looking for. 11/11.5 would stretch to A slim fit, 12 would stretch to a relaxed fit

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. This is me with a denim thats 11.5" in the thighs, and people here have been commenting that its too slim.
9F6XZl.jpg
Is it the thighs thats too slim? The taper below the knee?

The Day Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Barney's has DH, N&F, Nudie, Spurr, and RRL not sure about others. I would use it on something other than jeans personally

Originally Posted by mlyngard
KitAkira's right- spend it on sonething else - don't waste your money on denim there when they have soe great names for other, better things. You're in the heart of denim land. Go down to SelfEdge, BiG and Jean Shop in Soho and get real denim.

Thanks for the advice. I figured those places wouldn't be the best spots for denim. I will try to find something else to use this reward points on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads