• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

Mustapha

Reaction score
Today... gold plated job.
DSCF1846-2.jpg

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard Seiko's being underrated, especially for the price.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mercretas
Here's my version of the Spirit. I switched out the band but I love it. It can't be beat for the price.

BlueSpark-1.jpg

What's the model number of this Seiko Spirit?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B2C2V
I believe it's SCVS013, AKA Vox's JWatch.

Thanks, looks like I will switch the band if I do get it. There is no way to see a Seiko Spirit in person in the States (NYC specifically)? Find it hard to imagine not a single store in NYC carries Seiko Spirit.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watches on Seiya's website are Japan-only market Seikos. They're not available anywhere else to my knowledge.

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Thanks, looks like I will switch the band if I do get it. There is no way to see a Seiko Spirit in person in the States (NYC specifically)? Find it hard to imagine not a single store in NYC carries Seiko Spirit.

As I understand it, it is for JP domestic market. Considering it is quite popular on the forum, some NYC based Forumites might be willing to meet you up to show you.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is my Seiko,I think it is a good value for the money,I need to switch the strap for something better though,it is ****.This will be my last Seiko though.

P1020820.jpg

zoorado

Reaction score
Seiko Watches - Underrated?
Very true, in countries other than Japan. At any price point, a Seiko watch (mechanical or otherwise, but especially mechanical) is extremely good value for the money. The best watches from Seiko (one example from the limited-production Spring Drive Credor line) spot some of the best finish and polish ever to grace the world of haute horlogerie. I'm talking Daniels / Dufour quality. They are also at the forefront of technical innovation, though their efforts in this respect is more geared toward the fundamental improvement in timekeeping, rather than ostentatious pushing the boundaries of complicated watches.

vasili_leung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
The Credor stuff is the match of anything made in Switzerland and their Japan-only stuff is top quality too, much better than their mass produced stuff you see in most US/Australian etc. stores. That's probably the biggest reason why the brand is as underrated as it is, because most people don't see the Credor/Japan-only Seiko quality firsthand, they see only the lesser quality mass produced stuff.

What is a Japan only Seiko? I've read every reply on this thread up to page ten and I see a lot of so called "Asia-only", "Japan-only" 's. Are they really that much better than what you see in stores here in Australia? What exactly are the models that are considered by you guys to be excellent and are not found in the West?

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vasili_leung
What is a Japan only Seiko? I've read every reply on this thread up to page ten and I see a lot of so called "Asia-only", "Japan-only" 's. Are they really that much better than what you see in stores here in Australia? What exactly are the models that are considered by you guys to be excellent and are not found in the West?

Credor
Credor Spring Drive (ultra high-end)
Grand Seiko
Ananta

Godot

Reaction score
I've had two Seikos. One is a ss crono, I bought about 10 years ago and have used as a beater. This thing has taken a lot of abuse and still works great. This is an American Seiko and I 'm very impressed.
The other Seiko was made for the Asian market and didn't seem to be as well made. I called Seiko USA and tried to conform that it was real and they couldn't tell me anything as it was not a Seiko USA. I donated it to a charity auction.
Side note, I have heard that Seiko is the worlds largest watch maker. I wouldn't be shocked if the quality varied by country/market. That being said the ones offered here (USA), work as well as their more expensive counterparts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads