• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style advice for a Midnight Blue "Cotton" Tuxedo

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks great. A lot of the guys here don't know how to shake it up and have a bit of fun. Although I agree with following rules, obviously there is going to be alot of different takes on upscale formal, so you are free to have a bit of fun.

Woody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder

Since it's a movie premier, I'm sure many people will go for the shudder Oscars look. I remind you, however, that for quite some time now, the coolest looking people on the carpet have been dressed in proper black tie whereas the ironic, trendy people in tuxedo jackets with FIH ties, flip flops, open shirts, etc., mostly looked like whankers.

I don't think Cruise looks like a whanker here.

http://z.about.com/d/mensfashion/1/0...4977151_10.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...tom_cruise.jpg

EdenResident

Reaction score
If you're gonna buy a true tux later anyway, why not just get one now. Go true "black tie" and you'll look better than 90% of the chumps there. Getting bonus points from the host wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Woody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgeldner
where does one acquire a midnight blue cotton tuxedo? sounds interesting (seriously)...

Adam Lippes, Fall 2008. Dsquared has cotton silk tuxedo blazers but not with matching pants .

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Woody
I don't think Cruise looks like a whanker here.

http://z.about.com/d/mensfashion/1/0...4977151_10.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...tom_cruise.jpg

Are you kidding? When it comes to whankers, Cruise is the Word made flesh.

Anyway, I'll see your Cruise and raise you a Pitt.

brad-pitt-at-oscars.0.0.0x0.282x369.jpeg

It's interesting to compare his current black tie rig to the way he dressed in his "ironic" phase.

brad_pitt11.jpg

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
I can totally understand people's reluctance to wear black tie because it means investing $$$$ in clothing that you may get very little use out of it.

First, this simply isn't true. There are people who pay more for a pair of jeans than a decent dinner suit costs. Very respectable black tie can be done very cheaply.

Second, this begs the question. There aren't very many black tie events because so many people ***** about the idea of wearing black tie. If more people were happy to wear black tie, black tie events would abound. Heck, I'm told that once upon a time, people regularly went out for meals in black tie.

Once upon a time, putting "black tie" on an invitation was no big deal because everyon had a tuxedo in their closet. There were lots of opportunities to use it and it was as easy to wear as anything else -- easier, really.

Woody

Reaction score
Are you kidding? When it comes to whankers, Cruise is the Word made flesh.

Anyway, I'll see your Cruise and raise you a Pitt.

brad-pitt-at-oscars.0.0.0x0.282x369.jpeg

It's interesting to compare his current black tie rig to the way he dressed in his "ironic" phase.

brad_pitt11.jpg

I fold, it is interesting to compare the two phases of Pitt in these photos.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, this simply isn't true. There are people who pay more for a pair of jeans than a decent dinner suit costs. Very respectable black tie can be done very cheaply.

Really? Do tell - I never knew there was a supply of black tie apparel out there at a reasonable prices.

Second, this begs the question. There aren't very many black tie events because so many people ***** about the idea of wearing black tie. If more people were happy to wear black tie, black tie events would abound. Heck, I'm told that once upon a time, people regularly went out for meals in black tie.

Once upon a time, putting "black tie" on an invitation was no big deal because everyon had a tuxedo in their closet. There were lots of opportunities to use it and it was as easy to wear as anything else -- easier, really.

That time was long enough ago. Depending on the industry one is in, yes there might be a need for a tux on a regular basis but not everyone is in that industry.

I'm 30 and am still building my wardrobe but a tux is nowhere in my near future because I simply have no use for one.

aKula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
yes, go "rock and roll" (sounds corny, I know). The cotton tux is not really a tux so don't try and make it one. Wear some cool shirt open collared and nice shoes, maybe some shiny black boots. Maybe a pocket square.
Maybe without socks as well. In all seriousness it's probably best to move sufficiently far away from black tie if not actually dressing in the correct black tie form.

Woody

Reaction score
I've decided to wear a tuxedo shirt, bow tie, and black boots.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've decided to wear a tuxedo shirt, bow tie, and black boots.

I think without the bow tie you would look better but if yuo do wear one, I would get one a bit bigger than normal, a "proper" one might not work with the outfit. Make sure the boots are well shined.

Woody

Reaction score
I think without the bow tie you would look better but if yuo do wear one, I would get one a bit bigger than normal, a "proper" one might not work with the outfit. Make sure the boots are well shined.

Interesting, like a velvet bow tie? The lapel on this jacket is grosgrain at least it looks like it so the matching grosgrain is an easy fit. But the suit is a modern designer's interpretation of a classic outfit. So your suggestion is to follow that motif all the way through with the other elements.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting, like a velvet bow tie? The lapel on this jacket is grosgrain at least it looks like it so the matching grosgrain is an easy fit. But the suit is a modern designer's interpretation of a classic outfit. So your suggestion is to follow that motif all the way through with the other elements.

yes.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and I have enjoyed reading for the past month.

I don't feel the cotton tuxedo is traditional so I am fine wearing some brown boots I love plus it's an "upscale formal event".

You've been reading for a month and you ask this question? Have you learned nothing?
devil.gif

Okay ... it is a film festival ... so perhaps you can play with your style of dress. After all, we aren't talking investment bankers. But ... remember ... don't play too much ... or you'll never be taken seriously.

The host started off asking for black tie but many of her guests complained and she called it "upscale formal" with black tie optional instead.
She is the host ... her guest complained ... and she changed the requested dress? Kick the host in the rear for us.

Woody

Reaction score

00380m.jpg

I respect creative vision, you have that.

cravatte.jpg

The look above will work for this event but I will go with a bow tie like the one below.

RUGLAMOUR-tile-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads