• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Clever spamming bastard

But they are really too simple a design to go out of fashion, timeless really.

nadiac143

Reaction score
theirs a lot celebs still wearing them. Agyness Deyn & Jessica Szohr have been rockin the 8-eye

iwhelan

Reaction score
I see more girls wearing Docs in NYC actually. Not too many guys but once in a blue moon I'll see them.

I haven't worn my MIE Oxblood 8-eye boots much this fall yet because they get so hot, it has to be really cool outside. Maybe I need different socks to keep my feet cool.

Also, even though they are probably more comfortable than some boots, they still feel like boots on my feet... not sneakers... unfortunately. At the end of the day, I am happy to take them off. I'm not getting blisters or anything, but they are just not as comfortable as sneakers.

Ian

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
I see more girls wearing Docs in NYC actually. Not too many guys but once in a blue moon I'll see them.

I haven't worn my MIE Oxblood 8-eye boots much this fall yet because they get so hot, it has to be really cool outside. Maybe I need different socks to keep my feet cool.

Also, even though they are probably more comfortable than some boots, they still feel like boots on my feet... not sneakers... unfortunately. At the end of the day, I am happy to take them off. I'm not getting blisters or anything, but they are just not as comfortable as sneakers.

Ian

The 1460 series (the classics) are iconic. I just got another pair of the oxbloods (made in England - and worth the extra dosh). Have always worn DM in some form though every season.

To me, they're as integral to my style as jeans.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I just read every post within this thread...
I have about five or six pairs from about fifteen years ago when i used to buy two pairs at once so i could wear two different colored shoes at once.
What the **** i was thinking i have no idea...

Love it! I wouldn't be caught dead doing that, but...

iwhelan

Reaction score
Does anyone else find these boots to get hot while wearing all day? I work in an office environment and they get warm sometimes. The leather is quite thick on the MIE boots.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
Does anyone else find these boots to get hot while wearing all day? I work in an office environment and they get warm sometimes. The leather is quite thick on the MIE boots.

Well, they are leather boots with no ventilation... They get hot while riding my motorcycle, walking to the store, walking around on breaks at work, etc. You get used to it. Just think about the poor bastards wearing leather boots out in the desert 24/7. Just think, if "my boots are too hot to wear" is the most pressing issue of your life, you've got it made.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Well, they are leather boots with no ventilation... They get hot while riding my motorcycle, walking to the store, walking around on breaks at work, etc. You get used to it. Just think about the poor bastards wearing leather boots out in the desert 24/7. Just think, if "my boots are too hot to wear" is the most pressing issue of your life, you've got it made.

Fair enough! I guess I just need better socks that are meant to wick away moisture for boots.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I'm finally starting to get a nice shine on my excel leather James boots. I like these better than red wing gentleman travelers, and better than 1460s, especially the sole. crappy cell pics, but you get the idea

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I'm finally starting to get a nice shine on my excel leather James boots. I like these better than red wing gentleman travelers, and better than 1460s, especially the sole.

Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ great shine, esp as that James boot leather is pretty matte finish

Word. Those do look good.

My brown ones are coming along really nicely. Beauties, and so incredibly comfortable, which I don't understand.

Made the mistake(?) of using mink oil on these, which has made it strange when applying actual 'clear' kiwi polish over (really saturated the leather without changing the color, which I love). The oily mink oil prevents the wax polish from buffing up to any kind of high shine. Not sure if I'll get that nice shine, but with these, I kinda like the matte-ish lustre.

PS - what have you noticed that different on the sole vs. the 1460. or did you mean just the GT?

PPS - I see you still have your pull-tabs on. Think you mentioned that a while back. Mine came off like perforated paper in the first week. Stupid to sew into thin leather like that.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I wouldn't know about the mink oil. I'd suggest saddle soaping it out and sno-sealing or dm wonder balsam/obenaufs or something like that. I've read that mink oil will overly soften the leather and make it weaker, but I don't have any personal experience with it so I wouldn't know.

i've got snoseal on mine + kiwi parade gloss with silicone to get that shine, and I haven't really gotten it until the past couple weeks when I really went to town with the stuff and buffed it with a lot of water.

The pull tabs I just don't use at all, I just tuck them in like that. I've considered cutting them off but I never wear them tucked so I don't have to worry about those wimpy soft tags looking lame. They should've made premium cloth tags or just regular cloth tags for it.

I dunno about the sole, I'm thoroughly confused by all their sole names. I do know that DML is the ladies width and then there's DMC and DML and a few others. I have a pair of DML (Flex Link) 1460s in grizzly bark which is an oil tanned leather and they're significantly wider than the regular 1460s and the james. DMC is the regular sole, and the MIE vintage collection ones have a different sole. The difference seems to be in how they chamber the sole itself, and maybe the width, which affects the sizing.

what I mean though, was that I like the James over GTs. I'm partial to docs because of the sole, but at the same time I like what they've done with the concept of stitching around the sole on this collection, which is why I prefer it in some ways to the 1460 as classic as they are. I'm considering getting a brown pair in the oxfords (Perry?) but then again I might just buy the James in another color. Or those amazing tannish GTs Get Smart posted in the GT thread.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I've read that mink oil will overly soften the leather and make it weaker, but I don't have any personal experience with it so I wouldn't know.

They should've made premium cloth tags or just regular cloth tags for it.

I dunno about the sole, I'm thoroughly confused by all their sole names.

I'm considering getting a brown pair in the oxfords (Perry?) but then again I might just buy the James in another color. Or those amazing tannish GTs Get Smart posted in the GT thread.

Never heard that about mink oil, but I'll use more sparingly. Just got fresh oxblood MIE's, so maybe will invest in the DM wonderbasalm now...

Agreed - premium tags (or even the basics) would have been less discouraging that those 'leather-like' things...

I think these use the same 'last' as the MIE model, which I believe uses a vintage 'last' DM still has from the original 1950's model. A bit narrower than modern ones. I like it too, especially since these do 'spread' with use.

I have the James shoe in the brown too. It's a seductive finish with a lot of depth. You can really see what DM describes as the 'pull-up' (different colors on the panels based on how much they were stretched over the last), from dark brown on the achilles heel-strip to a much lighter brown over the toe. Sexy, man. Recommended.

I'm breaking into GetSmarts house this weekend for those GT boots, but I can snag you his snuggies while I'm there. May grab his new Warehouse boots too.

PS another small complaint, but an annoying one: two of the eyelets near the top have burrs on the inside which are shredding my laces. I need to sand them down but am too lazy. Experienced this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads