• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longwings or Wingtips

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Why the obsession over longwings on this forum? What do people have against wingtips?

You're argument is false. Sure, there are people here who like longwings. That does not connote general hatred of wingtips, one of the standard shoe styles, however. A careful review of the WAYWN now and Shoe Appreciation threads will display many more wingtips.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1

While there are many here who like longwings, I'd say the majority easily tends towards wingtips. You criticism of longwings as clunky is hardly a revelation. While I like both, I'd certainly chose longwings over wingtips if I could only have one. Fortunately, this is a decision one is rarely called upon to make.

I have plenty of other shoes to wear if I want something sleek. Longwings represent classical Americana. Bring the chunk.

Dburr

Reaction score
Not a reasonable question. It's like asking if I prefer a saddle or a plain toe blucher. Depends.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
It seems that short wings are always oxford style and longwings are always derby style.

In my experience, most short wings are oxford style, but not all. The Polo Darltons are short wing derbies. Mine are some of my favorite shoes, especially with jeans, cords, or moleskins. I'm looking for a pair of longwings, too.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anything, I think longwing proponents, of which I am one, are often vocal specifically because of the widespread fondness here for sleek, modern shoes. There have been endless threads about G&G, EG's 888, C&J's 348, Vass U last, even Kiton's pointy toes and tacky patination ... The lowly longwing, in comparison, has only lately been getting some love.

I like both sleek shoes and clunky shoes, depending. And it really is how you use them: A clunky chestnut longwing can look great paired with a slim, light gray wool trou. They can look old-fashioned, but they can look modern, too. Thom Brown and the Duckie Brown/Florsheim collab come to mind.

Guero

Reaction score
+1. As a proponent and wearer of the sleeker C&J 348 last and Vass U-last, and assorted imitations thereof, I am definitely not oriented towards the clunky longwing but would find the world a less interesting place without it. And to add one more tidbit to a post above, not all wings, low or long, are brogues, unless you include austerity brogues.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wingtip derbies often look bad to me because the bottom edge of the brogued eyelet piece and the top edge of the wingtip imply intersecting, rather than parallel, lines. Longwing derbies don't have this problem: the bottom edge of the eyelet piece is always parallel to the the top edge of the longwing broguing.

If I ever got non-longwing wingtips, I'd pick an oxford format. Even then I'd want the curved edges of the eyelet piece and wingtip to be harmonious.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Longwings represent classical Americana. Bring the chunk.

Yes!

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If anything, I think longwing proponents, of which I am one, are often vocal specifically because of the widespread fondness here for sleek, modern shoes. There have been endless threads about G&G, EG's 888, C&J's 348, Vass U last, even Kiton's pointy toes and tacky patination ... The lowly longwing, in comparison, has only lately been getting some love.

I like both sleek shoes and clunky shoes, depending. And it really is how you use them: A clunky fiery chestnut longwing can look great paired with a slim, light gray wool trou. They can look old-fashioned, but they can look modern, too. Thom Brown and the Duckie Brown/Florsheim collab come to mind.

Fixed, can't believe you forgot 'fiery'!

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wingtip derbies often look bad to me because the bottom edge of the brogued eyelet piece and the top edge of the wingtip imply intersecting, rather than parallel, lines. Longwing derbies don't have this problem: the bottom edge of the eyelet piece is always parallel to the the top edge of the longwing broguing.

If I ever got non-longwing wingtips, I'd pick an oxford format. Even then I'd want the curved edges of the eyelet piece and wingtip to be harmonious.

Huh? I have a pair of Tricker's Tetbury in Espresso pebble grain on the way, similar to these: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eton/1408136/

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Along with Wes i just thought "What????!!!" ............totally over my head that
confused.gif

jmoody15

Reaction score
The lowly longwing, in comparison, has only lately been getting some love.

I guess that might explain it - I'm new around here

I like both sleek shoes and clunky shoes, depending. And it really is how you use them: A clunky chestnut longwing can look great paired with a slim, light gray wool trou. They can look old-fashioned, but they can look modern, too. Thom Brown and the Duckie Brown/Florsheim collab come to mind.

I guess that I'm with you - maybe "low wings" first, then longwings later for more casual use. But I'm not at that stage yet. About to buy a new pair, and wanted to see what the argument was for longwings. I'm looking for more of a dressy-casual type look in these shoes, so I'll stick with my original thought.

Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're argument is false. Sure, there are people here who like longwings. That does not connote general hatred of wingtips, one of the standard shoe styles, however. A careful review of the WAYWN now and Shoe Appreciation threads will display many more wingtips.

Didn't mean to imply that I saw hatred for wingtips. Just saw a preference toward the longwings in the past month, and was curious. I guess it shows that I'm new, since I didn't think about the possibility of having both types of shoes.
blush.gif

But I'll contend your assertion that my "argument" is false. It was a simple question, and I don't believe that a question can be false - only an answer.
sly.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
I'm sorry Wes but those Trickers eyelet pieces aren't parallel nor harmonious
lol8[1].gif

Luckily, I'm not
foo.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads