• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hbornste
Hey Guys,

What size tin cruiser should I get? I'm 6' 1.5" 165 lbs, I'm not sure how much I should size down or if I should get a smaller than normal size but get it in extra long. Thanks!

Since you wear a 40L jacket a good starting place would be a 40L cruiser. You may be able to get away with a 38L but it may be a bit tight if you layer heavily under it.

Reaction score
my two filsons. small duffle and small briefcase. let me know if you'd like any other pictures.
P1000081.jpg

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That blue duffel looks wicked, I like it.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the guy two posts up: Those bags look great dude.

Originally Posted by Crane's
LOL. I'll reiterate what you guys already know. We'll price match or beat any legitimate Filson dealer and that includes the Flagship dealer above.
Seriously...why was this necessary? The other poster didn't even sound like he was trying to promote his business. No need to be a dick to other people if they're sharing their knowledge on products that the forum likes.

aketo

Reaction score
What model is that blue duffle? Is that the urban outfitters x filson?

Reaction score
yeah it's one of the UO x Filson bags.

it was a bit of a quest finding one.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 034936
my two filsons. small duffle and small briefcase. let me know if you'd like any other pictures.

P1000081.jpg

How new is that briefcase? I'm pretty sure about getting the briefcase in brown but not sure about a small duffle in brown or tan. The site pictures make the brown look really dark (as dark as the leather) so there isn't much contrast. Just wondering if anybody knows how it ages. I know that the tan ages well but it's a little too light of a shade for my liking.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
How new is that briefcase? I'm pretty sure about getting the briefcase in brown but not sure about a small duffle in brown or tan. The site pictures make the brown look really dark (as dark as the leather) so there isn't much contrast. Just wondering if anybody knows how it ages. I know that the tan ages well but it's a little too light of a shade for my liking.

It ages well and you won't see dirt as much too. Same goes for the Otter green.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a 261 tote bag w/ zip that I'm not sure if I'm going to keep. Mainly, I'm not sure if wearing the straps over my shoulder will get annoying after awhile. Anyone have any experience?

Porkkana

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Got a 261 tote bag w/ zip that I'm not sure if I'm going to keep. Mainly, I'm not sure if wearing the straps over my shoulder will get annoying after awhile. Anyone have any experience?

I recently bought a (relatively) cheap Eastpak Heritage tote just to get a feel how the longer handles feel in use when carrying in hand, or over the shoulder. Having lugged a backpack or a messenger/satchel type of thing around for the last 25 years I'm confident that the tote is the way to go
teacha.gif

I commute daily via public transportation and the tote is just so much more convenient in crowded places like subways or buses. With regards to the over the shoulder carrying I haven't found it annoying at all, with the caveat that if you don't get the handgrip the slippage of one of the straps can be aggravating.

I'm also considering the Filson but I'm a bit hesitant due to the lack of any kind of internal organization, and I carry around a bunch of bits and pieces.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The strap slipping was kind of annoying me but I think I'll look into getting the handgrip if I decide to keep this thing.

noVA99

Reaction score
Since you wear a 40L jacket a good starting place would be a 40L cruiser. You may be able to get away with a 38L but it may be a bit tight if you layer heavily under it.

I'm debating whether to get the Double Logger or the Tin Cruiser. I have a dealer near me who is stocking the Double Logger in M. I'm 6'1", 175-80lbs, size 40L in suit size, so I would be going with the Xtra long size in either jacket. I love the look of the Double Logger, front wise, but the back of the jacket, with the cape, is somewhat of a different story. The cape bunches up way too much and makes me look like a Hunchback. I want to wear this as a town and country coat so at least it has to be ok for wearing out to the local diner or watering hole. Hence why I was looking to go with the Tin Cruiser. No cape overlaying the back.

anyone feel the same way as I do with the hunchback look of the Double Logger? Of course when I tried it on at the store, i had just a zip-up sweater on. Maybe if I had a bulkier fleece jacket to use as a liner, it would had filled out the back and made it more flat against my back....

also, do you have to account for shrinking with Tin Cloth? I don't really intend to be out in a downpour for hours on end, and I have read where to buy Tin Cloth clothing (pants, coats) a size larger and account for shrinkage....

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noVA99
I'm debating whether to get the Double Logger or the Tin Cruiser. I have a dealer near me who is stocking the Double Logger in M. I'm 6'1", 175-80lbs, size 40L in suit size, so I would be going with the Xtra long size in either jacket. I love the look of the Double Logger, front wise, but the back of the jacket, with the cape, is somewhat of a different story. The cape bunches up way too much and makes me look like a Hunchback. I want to wear this as a town and country coat so at least it has to be ok for wearing out to the local diner or watering hole. Hence why I was looking to go with the Tin Cruiser. No cape overlaying the back.

anyone feel the same way as I do with the hunchback look of the Double Logger? Of course when I tried it on at the store, i had just a zip-up sweater on. Maybe if I had a bulkier fleece jacket to use as a liner, it would had filled out the back and made it more flat against my back....

also, do you have to account for shrinking with Tin Cloth? I don't really intend to be out in a downpour for hours on end, and I have read where to buy Tin Cloth clothing (pants, coats) a size larger and account for shrinkage....

I haven't had an issue with shrinkage on oiled tincloth. If any of my stuff has shrunk over the years it has been minimal and not noticeable.

I own a double logger and a tincloth packer. Both have the cape and I'm not aware of it looking like a hunchback. Of course this is partly due to the fact that both coats are broken in. Tin cloth doesn't drape well even when broken in so keep that in mind. For your use it sounds like the Cruiser would be a better choice.

noVA99

Reaction score
I haven't had an issue with shrinkage on oiled tincloth. If any of my stuff has shrunk over the years it has been minimal and not noticeable.

I own a double logger and a tincloth packer. Both have the cape and I'm not aware of it looking like a hunchback. Of course this is partly due to the fact that both coats are broken in. Tin cloth doesn't drape well even when broken in so keep that in mind. For your use it sounds like the Cruiser would be a better choice.

thanks....well for additional uses, I would want to wear it as a hunting jacket(for going through heavy brush and prickly bushes), for doing chores around the farm, would the cruiser still be my best bet or would the packer or logger be better?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads