• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Brian SD

Reaction score
Carwin isn't that huge. For some reason the UFC and various other outlets keep claiming he's 6'5 265 lbs, but he's reported himself as 6'0" and probably around 255 lbs (though he may make it to 265 for his fight against Lesnar, whenever that happens). If they seriously put him at 6'5" on the fight stats, there's going to be some serious lulz when the staredown comes and Carwin is 3 inches shorter than Brock. The commentators were driving me crazy how much they were pimping Rogers - it was like Rogan's dickriding of Shogun during the last UFC. Rogers didn't look bad but he did absolutely nothing that was an actual threat to Fedor. He held him against the cage for about a minute total, and he hit 3-4 of his 12-15 strike attempts, none of them doing any significant damage - even the ones on the ground had no power to them. He definitely did some hurt with that jab that opened up the cut (and broke?) Fedor's nose, but it didn't actually have knockout potential.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I don't think he should have called it and I don't think Rogers was out. I think a lot goes into the 2 or 3 seconds of reaction after you get rocked by a punch like that.

I forgot, who was supposed to be the dominant one and who was supposed to have only a punchers chance.

Rogers looked great.

Are you kidding? Rogers was out after that big overhand right from Fedor, and curling up in the fetal position away from your opponent, covering your head, and hoping for the best is not "intelligently defending yourself." Excellent call by Big John, and great fight by Fedor.

By the way, Rogers fought a ****** fight. Fedor went for that overhand right three times before he connected with it. Anyone who knows stand up would have realized that and would have started throwing straight punches down the pipe to neutralize the wild swinging overhand punches. Rogers did not do that and eventually got caught by one of those overhand rights and KTFOd.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Carwin isn't that huge. For some reason the UFC and various other outlets keep claiming he's 6'5 265 lbs, but he's reported himself as 6'0" and probably around 255

which makes sense since wiki lists both carwin and gonzaga at 6'1" and toe to toe they were about even.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Are you kidding? Rogers was out after that big overhand right from Fedor, and curling up in the fetal position away from your opponent, covering your head, and hoping for the best is not "intelligently defending yourself." Excellent call by Big John, and great fight by Fedor.

By the way, Rogers fought a ****** fight. Fedor went for that overhand right three times before he connected with it. Anyone who knows stand up would have realized that and would have started throwing straight punches down the pipe to neutralize the wild swinging overhand punches. Rogers did not do that and eventually got caught by one of those overhand rights and KTFOd.

I think that the call was completely legit. I also agree that Rogers fought a ****** fight, but I think that the real problem was that he didn't push forward more with jabs and straight rights, which would have not given Fedor the time and movement necessary to set up the power right. I don't think that there is any way of neutralizing a truly powerful overhand right in MMA. Unlike in boxing, where one punch KO's are relatively rare, MMA gloves are essentially designed to make quick finishes relatively common, and a power puncher really only needs to connect flush once. I think that any fighter who lets a power puncher be the aggressor is usually in for a short night. Brett Rogers kept on saying before the fight that he was not intimidated by Fedor's reputation, but it was obvious that he was. If he'd come out the way he did against Arlovski, he might have been able to turn the thing into a melee, and his chances would have been 50/50. But giving Fedor that much space and respect was *the* recipe for his getting KTFO.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Fedor had the fight from the beginning.

Yeah. Being able to get into the second round and winning the round are 2 different things. I didn't see any real threateing moments from Rogers. I think that there could have been, but that he fought poorly.

Jake needs to work on his stand up ..for sure!
Yeah, probably true, but it's hard to stand with a dude who has a chin and looks a full weight category above you. Besides, his BJJ is excellent, so why wouldn't he take it to the ground?

No, there was no finish, but that was terrific groundwork from both guys, from Jake in mounting his attacks, and from Miller in his defense. He nearly even pulled off the twister, which I've only seen pulled off once in MMA. There were a few times I thought that Jake was going to submit him for sure, but Miller showed terrific ground defense.

I hated that the fans booed that fight. It reminds me of all the fans who used to boo Machida. I like seeing good technique. If I wanted to see two guys stand and swing at each other, I'd go to the bar down the street at 2:30 a.m.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wouldn't hire either of their dieticians

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i wouldn't hire either of their dieticians

Fedor doesn't give a ****. Apparently, he eats pretty much whatever he wants to, and is a fan of midnight ice cream. His cardio and conditioning are apparently phenomenal, so it's not like it's affecting his performance. When you are the baddest man on the planet, who's going to tell you what you can and cannot eat.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater

While Rogers could have done a better job at letting his hands fly more to start the second round, it became more apparent that Fedor was figuring him out. Watch the fight again. Rogers was throwing his jab, but instead of walking into it like he did in the first round, Fedor was much better at avoiding it and feinted several times, avoiding the jab.

Fedor knows his craft. He kept throwing the overhand right because he knew that based on Roger's foot work and positioning it would land at some point, and it did. Not very far into the second round, in fact. It also has to do with experience. Note Rogers' reaction after the fight. He thinks he just has to go back in there and bang it out. He really needs to figure out what he did wrong. Fedor figured it out.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Mousasi is so incredibly talented. I'm excited to follow him.

Zaromskis in Strikeforce now, too. Some great fighters under that promotion now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Mousasi is so incredibly talented. I'm excited to follow him.

That was an incredible display. The LHW division across different promotions seem to be incredibly deep. Maybe there are just a lot of really talented 205'ers out there. On the other hand, I don't see Jake Shields, Mayhem Miller, Cung Le, or Robbie Lawler doing particularly well in the UFC at 185, and in the UFC, there is no one at that weight in the UFC who seems even remotely in the same league as Anderson Silva.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
That was an incredible display. The LHW division across different promotions seem to be incredibly deep. Maybe there are just a lot of really talented 205'ers out there. On the other hand, I don't see Jake Shields, Mayhem Miller, Cung Le, or Robbie Lawler doing particularly well in the UFC at 185, and in the UFC, there is no one at that weight in the UFC who seems even remotely in the same league as Anderson Silva.

Yea, it's a shame how stacked the 205 division across promotions is, but how the 185 division is in the dark ages.

Mousasi has fought at 185 before in Dream, so he could very well be a contender in the MW division, but right now it seems like if you're good, if you want competition, you're at 205.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The Miller/Shields fight was good, it's a pity that round 3 wasn't 1 second longer.

Brian SD

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I miss Pride.

ffffuuuu.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
teddie is right on the money.

Rogers was to green to fight fedor. Fedor had him pegged and the knock was going to happen.

fedor had the fight even though it wasn't total devestation is was still domination. unless you are ray charles or don't know **** about MMA you can't even say with a straight face rogers was winning at all.

fok,
shields inability not to finish the fight shows that he needs work on his submission game and GnP.
If he wasn't a robot on his feet he would be a much better fighter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads