• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somet denim..

c00kz

Reaction score
I've heard of the darts on the 008 leaving red lines but that's pretty nice. The rigidity is appealing. I wear low-rises out of necessity. I'm about 5'6", and a typical low rise hits like a high for me. I'll be able to wear these comfortable around my natural waist line. In the past it was usually girl jeans which chose to sit on my hips lol.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
Looks good except for that waistband. Are you wearing tucked in or just showing how low they are?

I'm planning on ordering a pair of 003's in a couple days. I usually buy 28's in washed denim when it's a little tight in the fitting room, comfortable for a couple days, but eventually need be laundered so it doesn't get loose on me. So as a noob, I took my "natural" measurement today. A 31?! I feel like I've been lied to for so long.
So my natural waist is 31, I guess. I measured a pair of jeans which feel much too loose now (but freshly cleaned are trim) and they're 15.5 in flat.. Weird. I feel this is the sort of thing that everyone dealt with when getting into raw denim.

Cookz: you'll also want to take the lower rise into consideration with these. You'll naturally wear them lower for them to look 'right', so will want a pair with a 30.5/31 measured where other jeans will feel loose or seem like they're sitting too low.

It's totally the sizing torture everyone goes through. You are not alone ;-)

PS - from now on, don't go by tagged size - it is all a lie. Take a measuring tape with you in the dressing room. For the pants, I mean.

c00kz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Cookz: you'll also want to take the lower rise into consideration with these. You'll naturally wear them lower for them to look 'right', so will want a pair with a 30.5/31 measured where other jeans will feel loose or seem like they're sitting too low. It's totally the sizing torture everyone goes through. You are not alone ;-) PS - from now on, don't go by tagged size - it is all a lie. Take a measuring tape with you in the dressing room. For the pants, I mean.
That's usually the idea, but an 8-8.5 inch rise isn't at all low by my proportions.. I'm 5'6" ish. 8 inches up from the crotch for me is at my natural waist! It's beautiful, finally having jeans which will fit excites me beyond belief lol. Yeah, I definitely headed off to the little denim store with my roll of measuring tape in-pocket.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's usually the idea, but an 8-8.5 inch rise isn't at all low by my proportions.. I'm 5'6" ish. 8 inches up from the crotch for me is at my natural waist! It's beautiful, finally having jeans which will fit excites me beyond belief lol. Yeah, I definitely headed off to the little denim store with my roll of measuring tape in-pocket.

Believe me... The rise is low... 8 inches from your crotch is your natural waist, as you said. Don't forget that the rise is measured from where your inseam starts, it's not in a straight line... Like you think... You wear jeans around your body, not flat on them.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See below.

Originally Posted by Mistral
Believe me... The rise is low... 8 inches from your crotch is your natural waist, as you said. Don't forget that the rise is measured from where your inseam starts, it's not in a straight line... Like you think... You wear jeans around your body, not flat on them.

So very true. 8" flat doesn't account for the curvature of your body as the top block curves down under, into the crotch/inseam.

Anatomically, most people will have very similar basic torso ratios or shoulder to pelvis, pelvis to crotch ratios (gotta fit those organs somewhere...). Leg/arm length is another story.

That's why the rise on any given cut may vary only 1" - 1.5" across the entire size spectrum, while inseam legths people wear can vary as much as 8".

I think your experience with a certain rise will have much more to do with where you wear your jeans. I like 'em low, so I'm inclined more to a rise 10.0" or less for my size.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe, something else... My pair of Somet's has about a week of wear now. They are getting a little more comfortable. When I bend my knees it doesn't hurt anymore... Though when I squat, the denim is still in my flesh. I'm a maintenance service person, or whatever you guys call that in English... Servicing heating systems. Walk plenty of stairs a day so my occupation is beneficial for my jeans. Honeycombs allready starting to set in. The rest of the denim is like... Still in new state, must wear them a lot more and maybe harder before the creases set in.

I'll keep you guys posted if you're interested.

slaani

Reaction score
After 10 months of serious wear and 4-ish machine washes, my 008s are about as soft and comfy as I could ask. Gonna start handwashing as I think they've hit the sweet spot for comfort and fadez. Its kind of sad knowing I am going to have to buy new denim in the next 6ish months, I haven't seen any brands that I think could stand up to Somet but I don't want to buy the same pants twice.

c00kz

Reaction score
That's a very good point, but one I took into account. 8 and a halfish measured down and tucked hits above my hips and a couple inches below my belly button. I don't wear my jeans ridiculously high but I like to wear high enough so the crotch is close to where my crotch really is. Was there not a table floating around showing the appropriate pant rise-to-height ratio somewhere.. ?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very good point, but one I took into account. 8 and a halfish measured down and tucked hits above my hips and a couple inches below my belly button. I don't wear my jeans ridiculously high but I like to wear high enough so the crotch is close to where my crotch really is. Was there not a table floating around showing the appropriate pant rise-to-height ratio somewhere.. ?

These jeans are so low... I took a size 27, which has a 8.25" frontrise if I'm correct and the waistband sits on my hip. Actually, you can see my hipbones. Don't underestimate the fit, it's (the waistband) about 3" to 3,5" under my bellybutton.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slaani
After 10 months of serious wear and 4-ish machine washes, my 008s are about as soft and comfy as I could ask. Gonna start handwashing as I think they've hit the sweet spot for comfort and fadez. Its kind of sad knowing I am going to have to buy new denim in the next 6ish months, I haven't seen any brands that I think could stand up to Somet but I don't want to buy the same pants twice.

Get another pair. If you've found the perfect fit for you, stay true. I felt the same about Somets too. And KMW 1980s.

Sounds like they'll be ideal then. You wear them low, so once you get these on (like I did) you think "why didn't anyone think of this before...". But then, most people don't wear their jeans as low as I do. The nice result is that you won't end up with a saggy top block/diaper ass/low crotch - everything will look fitted, while still sitting low.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Sounds like they'll be ideal then. You wear them low, so once you get these on (like I did) you think "why didn't anyone think of this before...". But then, most people don't wear their jeans as low as I do. The nice result is that you won't end up with a saggy top block/diaper ass/low crotch - everything will look fitted, while still sitting low.

So true... They always fit perfect. Haven't tried any other jeans on that can compare fitwise.

I personally find the low rise ideal... No need to sag jeans anymore, because of the waistband being to high in my opinion and therefore not always wearable. Not every pair of jeans looks charming when you decide to force a baggy fit :p

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little update... 2 weeks of wear, everyday...

2weeksfront.jpg

2weeksback.jpg

honeycombdetail2weeks.jpg

What do you guys think?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Mlyngard

I posted a fitpic a couple of days ago, it should be one page back.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
@ Mlyngard

I posted a fitpic a couple of days ago, it should be one page back.

Oh. Duh. That was you. Those things look friggin' awesome on you, man. That's why I love 'em!

They're breaking in nicely. I found there's an accelerated period from about 1 month to three months when all sorts of the cool stuff happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads