• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M. Charles

Reaction score
^Nice cloth. Is the mid grey flannel Minnis 0301? I'm trying to decide between it and 0317 at 475 grams, but both are the same color, and it looks very nice here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Minnis 400g is so so so so so warm. 475 would wear like a coke oven.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are 300 and 301. They are definitely lighter in color as compared to here.

M. Charles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Thanks for the advice. I have the Minnis 400g in dark air force blue flannel but haven't had it made up yet. Beautiful cloth though. I guess I"ll go with 0301 for the mid grey. I also have a watch of Fox flannel in 370/400g. It's about the same color. But when you hold it up to light the Minnis just looks so much denser. Can anyone comment on the differences in the construction between the two? Manton, you said on a previous thread years ago, I think, that Fox made some of the Minnis flannels. Is that still the case?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think that today Fox is making for Harrison, and Minnis has another supplier. Certainly, the Minnis these days is a lot denser and stiffer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I too think it's beautiful ... I'd certainly wear it ... but only you know whether it's right for you.

Of course ... if you don't turn it into a jacket ... or sell it ... you could do what I sometimes do ...

The one on the bottom left, is that from an FNB vest fabric?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree that Minnis wears warm. I wore the mid-gray 400g flannel narrow chalk stripe on Friday and it was toasty. I have a final fitting of the Air Force blue flannel next week and should be getting it at the beginning of December.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, I picked up 3 yards of 100% camel hair overcoating, but have been too lazy to take a picture.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The one on the bottom left, is that from an FNB vest fabric?

Good guess, but cuniculus BMI could be too low.

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, I picked up 3 yards of 100% camel hair overcoating, but have been too lazy to take a picture.

The camel hair we've been discussing or sourced from somewhere else? I should be having a first fitting on the that next week, too.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Is three yards enough for polo coat?

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Same one. Actually, I have 3.5, if anyone wants to count. Should be more than enough.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same one. Actually, I have 3.5, if anyone wants to count. Should be more than enough.

You went for the lighter, classic shade? I'm basically having an exact copy of this coat made up in the vicuna colored pure camel hair.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
You went for the lighter, classic shade? I'm basically having an exact copy of this coat made up in the vicuna colored pure camel hair.

Yes, of the two Harrison shades, mine is closer to the lighter one.

The Polo mansion has an absolutley perfect polo coat right now, correct in every detail. If it had fit better, I might have bought that instead.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, of the two Harrison shades, mine is closer to the lighter one. The Polo mansion has an absolutley perfect polo coat right now, correct in every detail. If it had fit better, I might have bought that instead.
Hmmm...too late for that. I can't wait to get mine, though. Scored a great piece of Harris Tweed from an old book that Raphael had laying around and got lucky when they actually had some left in stock. What do you think of the Barbera saxony cloth for Lesser? Raph has a beautiful length of gray-blue herringbone suiting that I'm think of making into a 3 piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads