• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late Beethoven Thread

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i am playing the last mvmt of hammerklavier, such a terrible sounding song... cannot imagine anyone listening to it out of their own volition

Wrong answer. This threak is for gushing about erudite-sounding tunes from some dead guy.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I love op. 109, 110, 111. The Grosse Fugue is delightfully weird, like he got in a time machine and came back with all these new ideas:

The Große Fuge is definitely from another world... it's from a period where I think Beethoven somehow saw the present, the future, the past, and the universe all at once and turned what he saw in his minds eye into an oft-misunderstood, yet sheer masterfully genius movement.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
That's like basing your opinion of the "Rach 3" off David Helfgott's recording.

Shudder
facepalm.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
Wrong answer. This threak is for gushing about erudite-sounding tunes from some dead guy.
You make it sound almost like a Conne thread without teh **** and teh geriatric female stage performers... which is frankly an insult to the OP, Manton.
i am playing the last mvmt of hammerklavier, such a terrible sounding song... cannot imagine anyone listening to it out of their own volition
I'm not crazy about it either (although, I'll salute any pianist that can pull of its complicated technicality), I much prefer the presto agitato movement of No. 14.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You guys are dolts. I also mean that without rancor.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You make it sound almost like a Conne thread without teh **** and teh geriatric female stage performers... which is frankly an insult to the OP, Manton.

I'm not crazy about it either (although, I'll salute any pianist that can pull of its complicated technicality), I much prefer the presto agitato movement of No. 14.

you should refer to sonatas by op. # or nickname... no one really knows which sonata number they are...

that mvmt is kinda boring (and very easy to play)... i can only listen to so many arpeggios before my head breaks
frown.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you should refer to sonatas by op. # or nickname... no one really knows which sonata number they are...

I don't like calling it the 'Moonlight' and I thought it was rather obvious since you mentioned a piano sonata... but, ok I'll use Opus numbers next time.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ahem. This the *Late* Beethoven thread.
mad.gif

Gutman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
I know you picked it by accident, but there's the problem -- the Norrington recording is a POS. Is it the one with the London Classical Players?

That's like basing your opinion of the "Rach 3" off David Helfgott's recording.

In a way, that is my point: if it take an orchestra "better" than Norrington and LCP to make it sound OK, then there is a problem. Great music should be able to survive a variety of different interpretations. Realisation is important, but a composition should still be OK "in the score".

Original instruments is not everyone's cup of tea, but after all it was what Beethoven was working with. The recording of 7th I have is Collegium Aureum, and I really like it. They were somewhat less "authentic" than other original instrument groups (a bit Harnoncourt-like), but I like their recordings, especially Handel Op6. Now there's some great music...

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like calling it the 'Moonlight' and I thought it was rather obvious since you mentioned a piano sonata... but, ok I'll use Opus numbers next time.

well i mean i knew it was sonata #14 but most people dont memorize which sonata # it is... you hafta say the opus number. just a suggestion i guess, i use to do what you did and know everything by sonata #, but my piano teacher told me that no one really does that...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Norrigton is a gimmick monger. Original metronome settings! Ooooh! It's really fast!

Blech. Sounds like a 33 played on 45.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hammerklavier, first movement:

Typical AB, AB' sonata form opening:

A Section -- B flat major section (opening themes); 1-44; 44 measures
B Section -- G major section (second groupd of themes); 45-125; 81 measures
*repeat*
A -- B flat major section (opening theme; identical); 44 measures
B' -- G major section (changed at the very end this time); 45-129; 85 measures

[[The above is about half the movement, timewise]]

C -- E flat major development section of main theme; sort of quasi-fugal; 130-192; 63 measures
D -- very short 8 measure interlude; C major (193-200)
E -- D major, picks up theme from B -- short section, only 12 measures (201-213)
F -- B major; recapitulates opening theme; also only 12 measures (214-226)
G -- Back to B flat major; restates first part of opening theme, then develops second part; lengthy quote from second part, still in B flat major formally, but chords modified with flats to change key sound; 39 measures (227-266)
H -- B minor, but a quote from the first (B flat major) theme; sounds rather sinister in this key; 6 measures (267-272)
I -- back again to B flat major; lengthy quites from the first G major section, but in this key; first quoted, then considerably developed; (273-405 [end]); 132 measures.

Ten key changes, and some of the most extraordinary choices imaginable. Look how short some of the sections are.

I know no one's commented on this, but I'm going to put on my Pollini disc and give it a good listen with this at hand. Thanks for posting this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I know no one's commented on this, but I'm going to put on my Pollini disc and give it a good listen with this at hand. Thanks for posting this.

If you don't have it, blow a few bucks on the score. I have the Dover edition of the complete sonatas. Very cheap.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ahem. This the *Late* Beethoven thread.
mad.gif

8:56 pm is pretty late in Boca Raton
laugh.gif

better than my "Beethoven's been Late for a few centuries now"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads