• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
When I go to Banana Republic, I'm always thinking "I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear that" rather than "I want to wear that." That's probably all you need to know about them.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
When I go to Banana Republic, I'm always thinking "I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear that" rather than "I want to wear that." That's probably all you need to know about them.
For me it's more along the lines of "I would be embarrassed to wear that!" But I think your comment is spot on for most people. BR tries too hard to be non-offensive and safe. That's why they often end-up looking like a neutered Mr. Rogers. Heck, even Mr. Rogers with his Converse sneakers was more hip than BR! Anyway, to all your BR lovers: Does BR actually make you feel like "I want to wear that" or is it more "I would not be embarrassed to wear that?" From the apologetic comments in this thread trying to justify BR as "ok", I'd place my bets on the later.

Naf Nasitra

Reaction score
Here's a little blast from the past.

Originally Posted by jet
First up, a Banana Republic low nap camel pinstripe blazer brand new with tags. It doesn't look like velvet from afar and it's a 44R. It has never been worn AT ALL. It's a beautiful jacket but doesn't fit me. I'll have pics up soon. I paid 350 for it and will sell for 220 plus 10 for shipping.

Originally Posted by jet
I have a frost cashmere turtleneck also from BR which I love, great color.

Originally Posted by jet
also added a new never worn BR sateen field shirt, very nice size L

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Congrats you know how to search back in time. I've owned a fuk ton for the past 10 years you've got a great point.

Now do you see me discussing its merits on a dedicated thread?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naf Nasitra
Here's a little blast from the past.
LOL Who here didn't buy **** mall brand before upping the game via SF / spending time to find your aesthetic? It's your money not mine but your not going to care at all about those pieces My NdG / MMM / Raf / SNS sweaters are so dope. My W+H dayton's are awesome, my Krane bags + outerwear are awesome Seriosly go back to honestforum and talk about diesel and 7 washes with half zips Or stay here and develop something your really happy with

happyxix

Reaction score
I don't get why people get all anal about mall brands. Good job on wearing expensive clothes. Does that make your E-Penis feel bigger now? People can't even tell if your clothes are expensive or not cause no one is gonna look down the back of your neck or your asscrack all the time. Frankly all you are in the same leagues people who buy monster cables.

Anyways, BR does have some things I enjoy but maybe like a piece every season. Quality holds up well enough, never had anything break on me yet after 3 years. I don't like stores for their entire collection, cause that would be fanboyism.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The general consensus in this thread seems to be BR sucks not so much because of quality issues, but rather, design shortcomings. Like I said earlier, I've only owned one BR piece. I'll hit up the BR any time I go to the outlet mall, but am usually out of the store within a couple of minutes. I'll admittedly find a thing or two that piques my interest in the J. Crew or GAP outlets, but BR almost never has anything that jumps out at me. Really bland or ugly stuff at unfavorable prices.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by happyxix
Does that make your E-Penis feel bigger now? People can't even tell if your clothes are expensive or not cause no one is gonna look down the back of your neck or your asscrack all the time. Frankly all you are in the same leagues people who buy monster cables.

Just checking my math but did you just say that people who buy expensive clothes do so in hopes that other people will recognize them as being expensive but since expensive clothes don't have logos or other discernible features to distinguish them from cheap clothes then they are as worthless as overpriced cables?

And you signed up just to say this on a fashion forum?

You'll forgive me if I question the validity of your opinion.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It must have taken him a few days to craft up that witty comment as it seems he joined us in Oct.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
It must have taken him a few days to craft up that witty comment as it seems he joined us in Oct.
Yeah, I could see his crack team of writers taking a week to come up with that kind of logic.

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Rag & Bone is overpriced but you can't be serious unless by the following sentence you're suggesting BR gets their fabrics and does their cut and sew in New York.

I was going to say the same thing. rag&bone is definately higher quality in both materials and construction than BR. really, i think r&b is generally better quality than alot of brands in the similar price range.

Originally Posted by Teger
uh rag & bone is actually really high quality...

Although i do think it isnt quite as good as it was a couple years ago.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Just checking my math but did you just say that people who buy expensive clothes do so in hopes that other people will recognize them as being expensive but since expensive clothes don't have logos or other discernible features to distinguish them from cheap clothes then they are as worthless as overpriced cables?

And you signed up just to say this on a fashion forum?

You'll forgive me if I question the validity of your opinion.

Pure, pure gold.

sartre864

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Congrats you know how to search back in time. I've owned a fuk ton for the past 10 years you've got a great point.

Now do you see me discussing its merits on a dedicated thread?

No, but you're acting as if discussion of Banana Republic has absolutely no place whatsoever on a fashion forum. Though I could reluctantly understand this position if you were always some sort of "sartorial savant," you were extolling Banana Republic's virtues merely three years ago. Considering the fact that Banana Republic's general aesthetic has not changed very much in the last five years, it would appear as if you have simply adopted an unjust, haughty air of entitlement.

It's no secret that Banana Republic makes some visually unappealing clothing, and nearly everything sold at BR is "overpriced" at full retail. Nonetheless, intentionally "basic" wardrobe pieces including pants, sweaters and some outerwear (much like your aforementioned "loves") are very difficult to bastardize, and Banana Republic does a decent job at creating these garments. Granted, they most certainly lack impeccable quality and innovative design, but there's nothing fundamentally awful about a red sweater or gray wool pants. When one takes into account the outstanding sale prices mentioned in this thread, there is no reason that the occasional Banana Republic article can't be incorporated into a timelessly stylish wardrobe. Endlessly complaining that a "mall brand" (let alone one that you recently wore) is not suitable fodder for a fashion forum on which Uniqlo and sneakers are championed is unabashedly arrogant, and not unlike the behavior patented by a now-unemployed HonestForum "maven."

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bad quality items
out of all clothes i ever owned, almost all BR i've owned have had quality issues

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartre864
useless drivel

did not read

sartre864 is to me what x26 is to fuuma

/thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads