• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

hobscrk777

Reaction score
How's the fit on RL chinos? I'd like to order some during the big sale in the next couple of days, but their fit isn't as clearly detailed as, say, J. Crew's chinos are (where they have like 4 different fits). If I'm looking for a straight (not relaxed like all my current pants, but not too tight either) fit, will I be satisfied?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpaceInveider
Hi Guys,
I'm desperately looking for a leather jacket similar to this one:

It would be really awesome if anybody knows somebody that makes a jacket like this. (I'm not too into the collar, so really anything similar would do.)

I'm also looking for some casually dressy shoes, if that makes any sense at all.

Thank you in advance.

You should try the streetwear and denim forum.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doorstop
As a newcomer, I need to ask something of the folks with more experience with tailors.

A local thrift has a rather pretty Oxxford suit that fits me fairly well. Unfortunately, there is a small (2mm at most) hole high up on one arm of the coat. It doesn't appear frayed, so I am guessing errant smoker's ash. Is this fixable in a way that won't be obvious and noticeable, or should I just call it tragic and forget about it?

A hole that small can probably be repaired by a reweaver for less than $100, perhaps as little as $40 depending on the reweaver and the nature of the fabric. I know of two in NYC (Alice Zotta and another whose name escapes me) and one in Chicago (I believe their name is French-American Reweavers or something to that effect), all of whom accept mailed garments for repair. Do a search on reweaving or reweavers if you want more info.

Reified

Reaction score
I'm looking for inexpensive dark boots that will get me from the bus to school/the office this winter. I live in Ottawa so there will be quite a bit of snow. I like the look of a thin sole and lighter, smaller boot. I like this Timberland boot:
pTBL-6609161dt.jpg
Where can I find it online? Or anything similar? Thanks Edit: Forgot to mention - Timberland doesn't ship to Canada and I can't find an online store that carries it and ships to Canada.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope rach sees this (or I may pm him directly), but I accidentally bought this purse for my GF and while I personlly hate it, I was hoping to make sure it was at least authentic. I couldn't find any date stamp or anything of that sort. I figure that given the measurements (it's about 9x7x4) it may not have one. Either way pictures below-
DSC_0486.jpg
DSC_0488.jpg
The guessets say "Louis Vuitton" on them.
DSC_0489.jpg
DSC_0490.jpg
DSC_0491.jpg
DSC_0492.jpg
The little lock used on the zipper has "LV" printed on it.
DSC_0493.jpg
Inside guessets also have Louis Vuitton printed on them.
DSC_0494.jpg
I know some of you experts can tell just from the stitching, so I tried including a picture of that on the bottom. Thanks for any comments!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Quick glance looks good to me, though like you, I'm not a big fan of the Vernis. The date stamp is not a guarantee of authenticity, unfortunately, as fakes have them now, too. BUT, it usually is somewhere in a pocket or along the edge, on a little leather tab or on the back of a keyring. Could you take a closer pic of the inside leather LV made in France/Spain (wherever)? In any case, I'm pretty sure it's real, just seeing the pic. Or, at least, it's not an obvious fake. There is a level of "SUPERFAKES" that I'd need to see it in person to be able to tell you and it gets down (again) to stitch counting or weighing the hardware. I'm not familiar with this model enough to know how many stitches it has. Where did you get it? If it was on ebay, feel free to PM me the link and I'll check my "back channels" and try to help you out.
wink.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rach,

ygpm.

David.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Quick glance looks good to me, though like you, I'm not a big fan of the Vernis. The date stamp is not a guarantee of authenticity, unfortunately, as fakes have them now, too.

BUT, it usually is somewhere in a pocket or along the edge, on a little leather tab or on the back of a keyring.

Could you take a closer pic of the inside leather LV made in France/Spain (wherever)?

In any case, I'm pretty sure it's real, just seeing the pic. Or, at least, it's not an obvious fake. There is a level of "SUPERFAKES" that I'd need to see it in person to be able to tell you and it gets down (again) to stitch counting or weighing the hardware. I'm not familiar with this model enough to know how many stitches it has.

Where did you get it? If it was on ebay, feel free to PM me the link and I'll check my "back channels" and try to help you out.
wink.gif

sanadan

Reaction score
I'm new to high end shoes / clothing, but I have been lurking for a little while and feel like I'm almost ready to step it up a notch. I just purchased the Details and Esquire books and I do not even have the "basics".

Anyways, I tried these on today and they were a little big, but seemed quite nice. They were $525C which would make them, by far, the most expensive peice of clothing I own. (I was at a Holt Renfrew in Calgary, not Niemann Marcus, but I "think" these are the shoes I tried on.) Comments?

http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/st...ndex=10&tid=C9

Montrachet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanadan
I'm new to high end shoes / clothing, but I have been lurking for a little while and feel like I'm almost ready to step it up a notch. I just purchased the Details and Esquire books and I do not even have the "basics".

Anyways, I tried these on today and they were a little big, but seemed quite nice. They were $525C which would make them, by far, the most expensive peice of clothing I own. (I was at a Holt Renfrew in Calgary, not Niemann Marcus, but I "think" these are the shoes I tried on.) Comments?

http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/st...ndex=10&tid=C9

There's a significant markup on Ferragamo just because it's a "trendy" name. Aside from their Tremezza line, you won't be paying for quality. This is everything I know about them however, so someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in. Your question just gave me a question of my own though: How do you identify which are Tremezza? I searched on this keyword at neimanmarcus.com and got no results. Ferragamo.com will just show you all shoes, and you have to click for details on each one to see if it's Tremezza or not.

sunman42000

Reaction score
I wear a size 10 in the Ralph Lauren Marlow/Darlton wingtip. I want to pick up an Alden Chukka in the Barrie last. What size would i be?

Doorstop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
A hole that small can probably be repaired by a reweaver for less than $100, perhaps as little as $40 depending on the reweaver and the nature of the fabric. I know of two in NYC (Alice Zotta and another whose name escapes me) and one in Chicago (I believe their name is French-American Reweavers or something to that effect), all of whom accept mailed garments for repair. Do a search on reweaving or reweavers if you want more info.

Thanks so much for the dose of hope, I'll grab the suit tomorrow!

Westbound

Reaction score
Anyone know how the sizing on the Crockett & Jones "Ashdown" runs?

gnumonic

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a jacket taken "out" at the sides? (I just bought a slim fit J. Lindeberg one-button blazer on Gilt, and while overall it's a pretty good fit, it's just a hair (.5-1 inch) too slim through the body and appears to be too tight when I wear anything more than a shirt under it. The caveat is, I don't have access to a "good" tailor - I'm stuck in a small midwestern college town that only has two alterations places)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnumonic
Is it possible to get a jacket taken "out" at the sides? (I just bought a slim fit J. Lindeberg one-button blazer on Gilt, and while overall it's a pretty good fit, it's just a hair (.5-1 inch) too slim through the body and appears to be too tight when I wear anything more than a shirt under it. The caveat is, I don't have access to a "good" tailor - I'm stuck in a small midwestern college town that only has two alterations places)
The jacket could be taken out if there are seam allowances built in. The seams are probably covered by the interior lining, though, so you'd have to get underneath them to tell.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having a navy blue suit made. Considering i will only be wearing this suit with brown shoes: belt loops, fasteners or braces?

i live in a hot climate and take my jacket off frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads